PDA

View Full Version : When used games are outlawed... courtesy the Ninth

Lucille
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
We buy used games every chance we get.

According to the Ninth, and many EULA, we never actually own the game. We simply pay a fee to use their software.

Good to know!

Ninth Circuit appeals court disallows resale of drafting software due to EULA terms; PC, console games come with similar restrictions. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6275683.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6275683)

Pre-owned game sales account for a major chunk of GameStop's profits and have other retailers wanting a piece of the pie. However, a decision on Friday by the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit could imperil sales of pre-owned games--or any other software with a particularly worded end-user license agreement (EULA)...

Blaiyan's fired up!:

All you people who keep supporting this industry no matter what they say or do, WAKE UP!! Stop saying it doesn't affect you because you only buy new. This is a direct attack on consumers and ownership. It effects all of us. They want to make it so when you buy games and movies that it will not be your property. We never agreed to any license upon buying anything. This is nonsense. Sony, EA, Ubisoft and THQ do not deserve any money off of you selling your used property.

Agorism
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I've always thought property tax was evidence that you actually rent the property.

Lucille
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I've always thought property tax was evidence that you actually rent the property.

It's true!

Fox McCloud
09-13-2010, 09:02 PM

quite right.

It's sad that IP has expended so drastically and at an alarming rate in recent years; its gone from an irritation to being downright invasive and restrictive; it'll be interesting to see how things unfold in the coming decade, especially with ACTA.

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM
uh to be fair technically all software is license to use that software. For example, if you actually buy photoshop you will notice you are purchasing a license. I don't really see the difference. But I gave up on PC gaming because I don't like invasive software being installed on my computer. And as far as used games are concerned, all you're doing is transferring that license.

Honestly, the more these companies try to punish the consumer, the more people will pirate. All they do is punish the legit users.

Icymudpuppy
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I used to buy new games. I don't anymore. I am boycotting the companies who are restricting me from selling them when I'm done with them.

Kludge
09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
uh to be fair technically all software is license to use that software. For example, if you actually buy photoshop you will notice you are purchasing a license. I don't really see the difference. But I gave up on PC gaming because I don't like invasive software being installed on my computer. And as far as used games are concerned, all you're doing is transferring that license.

Honestly, the more these companies try to punish the consumer, the more people will pirate. All they do is punish the legit users.

It's fairly common to have software where you're restricted from transferring your license. For example, in many cases you're unable to transfer Windows OEM licenses unless you go through a phone conversation with Microsoft where you're going to be accused of scamming them (but they've always gone through with unlocking the license in my experience). There are other similar restrictions, too - such as with Steam where you aren't allowed to transfer games. Or similar, CD keys can be banned from online games if a player violates in-game rules - and using servers other than official to play your game is often a violating of the EULA (such as with World of Warcraft if you're also playing on the "pay" server).

The terms of modern software licensing are becoming restrictive enough where we often don't even legally own a copy of a product, just the ability to use the product. It's not just a license, but one which you never really own because the license can be revoked if you fail to uphold your end of the contract in the EULA.