View Full Version : Paul's Possibilities Declared Third In Fundraising

kenc9
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Paul's Possibilities
October 17, 2007
David Brody CBNnews.com
http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/251462.aspx
http://www.cbn.com/images4/cbnnews/politics/RonPaul_MD.jpg

I just attended a press conference where Ron Paul's campaign team went through their fundraising numbers. The bottom line: they say if you look closely at the financial numbers, Ron Paul is in the top three. They point to how much money candidates can actually spend going into the 4th quarter. It's called "Net Primary Cash on Hand" and it shows Giuliani in first ($11.4 million), then Thompson ($6.4 million) and then Ron Paul ($5.4 million). They disqualify Romney because he's lent his campaign money and hasn't paid it back. The Romney camp would beg to differ. Actually, they wouldn't beg.

The Paul campaign says they are going to spend lots of money on TV and Radio ads in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Iowa and Nevada. And by the way, when I asked them what their number one targeted state will be the answer was New Hampshire. Makes sense. The voters up there have an Independent streak.

As for their high octane supporters, the campaign acknowledges that it's important that everyone stay on the same page and stay organized. What they are trying to avoid is a 2004 Howard Dean scenario where he had such rabid support on the Internet but it wasn't coordinated as well as it could have been. The Paul campaign says their supporters are made up of a nice mix of Republicans, Democrats and Independent voters.

jj111
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you letter to the author:

thebrodyfile@gmail.com

kenc9
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Thank you letter to the author:

thebrodyfile@gmail.com

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/pauls-aides-campaign-cash-healthy/
New York Times
October 17, 2007, 1:18 pm
Paul’s Aides: Campaign Cash ‘Healthy’
By Ariel Alexovich

Representative Ron Paul wants you to read between the lines.
Sure, the Texas congressman lags behind the top Republican presidential contenders in the total cash on hand, but his campaign insists that a harder look at the net cash candidates are allotted to use specifically for the primaries favors Mr. Paul.
At a news conference in Washington today, his top advisers distributed a chart showing that Mr. Paul’s total net amount to spend during the primaries minus any unpaid expenditures — that’s key —brings him closer in financial stature to Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson.
While Mr. Giuliani leads the way with nearly $11.5 million, Mr. Thompson’s $6.5 million is not far ahead of Dr. Paul’s $5.5 million. John McCain is not even breaking even — he’s $53,000 in the hole, according to the Paul analysis.
Worst off is Mitt Romney, in the Paul analysis. Calculating this same “net primary cash on hand” number for the former Massachusetts governor, who has contributed millions to his own campaign, puts him more than $8 million in the red.

Mr. Paul might have an army of donors helping him close the financial gap, but he’s still disproportionately behind in the polls. Why isn’t Mr. Paul doing more with his money?
Kent Snyder, the campaign chairman, urged patience. Team Paul is about to launch a series of television and radio ads, as part of their drive for New Hampshire, South Carolina, Iowa and Nevada, “in that order.”
They hope this new effort will net their boss even more cash — and votes.
Mr. Snyder referred to today’s Washington Post article about how many of George W. Bush’s Rangers and Pioneers have refrained from making big donations this year, and noted that two dozen have made contributions to Democrats. Mr. Snyder said he knows the Paulites are people like these, the “so-called disgruntled Republicans.”
Jonathan Bydlak, the fund-raising director, said donations to Dr. Paul spike after each debate appearance at a rate upward of two times the average day.
“I think the picture you come away with after looking at the numbers is that three campaigns are clearly distinguished as being healthy, Mr. Giuliani, Mr. Thompson and Dr. Paul,” Mr. Bydlak said. “Additionally, Mr. Romney, while his campaign is in very poor shape financially, is able to compete with the other first-tier candidates so long as he continues to be willing to contribute his own personal wealth.”

ButchHowdy
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
CBN is equal to (or maybe better than) a Dobson endorsement.

wgadget
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
This David Brody guy has been going all out to put in nice words for Dr. Paul the past few days. I wrote him and told him I love him for being a reporter who can actually see what's really going on in politics.

LibertyEagle
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I guess the rest of the media don't find it newsworthy. :(

kylejack
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I like the Brody.

Corydoras
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I am glad to see the NYT discussing RP at all. It helps legitimize him in the eyes of the other media.

TheRothbardian
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Can anyone tell me if Romney has to pay back his loan? I am still questioning Paul's reasoning even though I dont want to.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Can anyone tell me if Romney has to pay back his loan? I am still questioning Paul's reasoning even though I dont want to.
He does not have to pay back his loan if he doesn't want to.

Corydoras
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, Romney can pull a Bloomberg and spend wildly to get each vote. But can he get enough votes in any state to win? Doubtful.

TheRothbardian
10-17-2007, 08:45 PM
He does not have to pay back his loan if he doesn't want to.

So is it right for Paul state that he is #3?