PDA

View Full Version : If Palin Runs For President?

Matt Collins
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2010/09/13/if-palin-runs-for-president

Kludge
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
//

Bruno
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Then we will all have fun watching Ron debate her. :)

Matt Collins
09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Then we will all have fun watching Ron debate her. :)

YouTube - Sarah Palin on Ron Paul and Republican partisanship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YglP4clX0A)

Thargok
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
She will show up, she will be a novelty item but unfortunately for us that means she can take Iowa without trying, and won't go anywhere after that.

BlackTerrel
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
She wouldn't have a chance.

If she enters the race, Palin will have the inside track. A recent Gallup poll found that among Republican voters, she's more popular than Abraham Lincoln, with a 76 percent favorable rating—higher than any other potential GOP presidential candidate listed by Gallup. The nomination is starting to look like it's hers for the asking.

Republicans love her. But everyone who doesn't vote "R" anyway would vote for someone else. I am sure the Democrats would love for her to run.

Matt Collins
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
She will show up, she will be a novelty item but unfortunately for us that means she can take Iowa without trying, and won't go anywhere after that.

Yeah that's my concern is that she might suck up all of the conservative vote bu then come time for the debates she goes the way of Fred.

Sola_Fide
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Watching Ron and Palin talk on FreedomWatch was like watching an adult converse with a child.

LatinsforPaul
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
If Sarah Palin does NOT run, who will she support?

Romney or Huckabee who have NO Tea Party support or....

Ron Paul who at least has the backing of some Tea Partiers.

Revontulet
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I would love to see Ron Paul debate her. GOP can nominate her at their own peril, I would probably prefer Obama to her.

Eric21ND
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Palin will pull supporters from Huckabee more than us.

Sola_Fide
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I prefer Obama being in office to every other candidate other than Ron Paul.

The Liberty movement will thrive if either Obama or Ron Paul are elected. Anyone else in the field will cause the Liberty movement to stagnate.

Revontulet
09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree, thanks to Obama the liberty/Ron Paul message is getting stronger. Strangely I wouldn't be too put off at him winning a second term (unless its against Ron Paul.)

paulitics
09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a hard time disliking her as much now. Not because of this video, but because of some of her actions. I know it is not a cool thing to say on this board, but I can't loathe her the way I loathe slick rinos like Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich.

erowe1
09-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Why is that unfortunate for us?

It seems to me that having a candidate do that would prevent anyone from being able to lock up the nomination early and would help RP.

thasre
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I have a hard time disliking her as much now. Not because of this video, but because of some of her actions. I know it is not a cool thing to say on this board, but I can't loathe her the way I loathe slick rinos like Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich.

I grow to dislike her more and more every day. I can remember when I knew who she was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before anybody had taken any notice of her (I called it that John McCain would pick her for his veep candidate about a week after it became clear he was the nominee and my family still act like I have some kind of secret sources or something that keeps me up-to-date with the inner working of the Republican Party, lol) and I loved her a lot. She was clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but very open-minded and also intellectually curious and questioning in a way that almost no major politician is.

The problem is that her genuine search for real, non-ideological solutions - the approach she took before entering the national limelight - has given way to a sense of her "intuition"... as if solutions just occur to her, and she's so brilliant that they're naturally right. I really think that Republican establishment types have taken her curiosity and distrust of authority and used it as an excuse to fill her head with all kinds of nonsense:
"Oh, yeah, you totally shouldn't trust that information... it's clearly just an authoritarian trying to hoodwink you!"
"Oh, you wondered about that? Well, tell us what you think, but we think the best solution is [whatever]"
etc. etc.

She's simply not good at separating the wheat from the chaff in any ideological or philosophical debate, so as long as something sounds like "outside the beltway" logic, it must be good! If she had kept to her pre-national-debut approach of delving deeply into the issues and really learning them, she'd be great. But she's turned to the easier path of assuming that her "political instincts" are her greatest asset, which has just made her easier to control.

That's my two cents, anyway, and I'm kind of tired so I'm thinking it just came across as rambling and incoherent. Kind of appropriate for a Palin thread, though, so I hope everyone will forgive me.

paulitics
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I grow to dislike her more and more every day. I can remember when I knew who she was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before anybody had taken any notice of her (I called it that John McCain would pick her for his veep candidate about a week after it became clear he was the nominee and my family still act like I have some kind of secret sources or something that keeps me up-to-date with the inner working of the Republican Party, lol) and I loved her a lot. She was clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but very open-minded and also intellectually curious and questioning in a way that almost no major politician is.

The problem is that her genuine search for real, non-ideological solutions - the approach she took before entering the national limelight - has given way to a sense of her "intuition"... as if solutions just occur to her, and she's so brilliant that they're naturally right. I really think that Republican establishment types have taken her curiosity and distrust of authority and used it as an excuse to fill her head with all kinds of nonsense:
"Oh, yeah, you totally shouldn't trust that information... it's clearly just an authoritarian trying to hoodwink you!"
"Oh, you wondered about that? Well, tell us what you think, but we think the best solution is [whatever]"
etc. etc.

She's simply not good at separating the wheat from the chaff in any ideological or philosophical debate, so as long as something sounds like "outside the beltway" logic, it must be good! If she had kept to her pre-national-debut approach of delving deeply into the issues and really learning them, she'd be great. But she's turned to the easier path of assuming that her "political instincts" are her greatest asset, which has just made her easier to control.

That's my two cents, anyway, and I'm kind of tired so I'm thinking it just came across as rambling and incoherent. Kind of appropriate for a Palin thread, though, so I hope everyone will forgive me.

I agree with this, and our biggest enemies surround her. But, I still have a hard time hating her like a do the obvious phonies out there.

The truth is she has helped us at least in the short run. Look at some of her picks. Some of them are Ron Paul republicans.

Pauls' Revere
09-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Would she make a better VP? Honestly could she be worse than Biden or Cheney?

What if the Paul/Palin ticket was the way to get Paul in? She could certainly warm the hearts and minds of the religous right to Pauls' ideas. How is his support in the religous right anyhow?

JohnEngland
09-15-2010, 05:35 AM
If Sarah Palin does NOT run, who will she support?

Romney or Huckabee who have NO Tea Party support or....

Ron Paul who at least has the backing of some Tea Partiers.

Maybe she'd support Herman Cain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain), who I thinking will be running. He's got electability written all over him - especially if Palin were to endorse him.

K466
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Good article but they fail to mention Paul as a potential candidate. :(

I can't image Palin actually running. She's already found herself a good, powerful position.

Matt Collins
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybe she'd support Herman Cain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain), who I thinking will be running. He's got electability written all over him - especially if Palin were to endorse him.Herman Cain did mention at the SRLC that he might consider running for President.

Eric21ND
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I prefer Obama being in office to every other candidate other than Ron Paul.

The Liberty movement will thrive if either Obama or Ron Paul are elected. Anyone else in the field will cause the Liberty movement to stagnate.
This is precisely the reason I was cheering Obama stomping McCain in the general. Nobody else seemed to understand how a Ron Paul supporter could be so happy seeing an Obama victory.

Eric21ND
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Would she make a better VP? Honestly could she be worse than Biden or Cheney?

What if the Paul/Palin ticket was the way to get Paul in? She could certainly warm the hearts and minds of the religous right to Pauls' ideas. How is his support in the religous right anyhow?
I'm warming slightly to Palin, even though I despise her rather child-like way of thinking. I could probably choke down a Paul/Palin ticket if I had to. It would certainly help in certain GOP circles, namely evangelicals and women. It would also hurt us among independents which is Ron's strongest support and crossover democrats.

Palin is a double-edged sword. I'd much rather see her play cheerleader on the sidelines than have her name in the starting lineup.

Michael P
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
If I was laying odds, I would say Palin running as the Republican is the only way Obama would be favored to win re-election. Against any other viable candidate Obama will be the underdog. I think Ron Paul could beat Obama by >5%

newyearsrevolution08
09-15-2010, 11:16 AM
you are warming to palin, the same chick who was up mccains ass? She is nothing but a way to get them into office and nothing more. She will say and do anything that she is told to do and that was proven when she was pushed up as a so called v.p. candidate.

I laugh when people try and pretend like palin would be a great choice even if ron paul was on the ticket. Here is thought, do you think palin would be ron pauls v.p? I doubt it as well and why would we ever want ron paul as HER v.p., he would never accomplish anything.

She is pro war, she is pro spending and she is a ton of bullshit. I think we have done the "lesser of all evils" bullshit with plenty of elections so far, we either need to take it all over or go home.

Palin and her so called tea party is nothing but b.s. and their attempt at taking away what it was ron paul started.

do you see her

reducing our military complex? she has a damn hard on for wars
reducing our federal spending ? did you read about her spending in alaska?
reducing government control over our lives?
giving us gun rights ? this MIGHT be a possible but I doubt she would ever be a strong president or v.p. and pretty much would be a pretty face with someone controlling the strings.

fuck palin

gls
09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't understand how she could possibly have any kind of political future whatsoever after quitting in the middle of her term as Governor for no good reason. I suppose it's just more evidence of the absurdity of the American electorate. Personally I wouldn't vote for her for dogcatcher.

Eric21ND
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
If I was laying odds, I would say Palin running as the Republican is the only way Obama would be favored to win re-election. Against any other viable candidate Obama will be the underdog. I think Ron Paul could beat Obama by >5%
I concur.

Eric21ND
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
you are warming to palin, the same chick who was up mccains ass? She is nothing but a way to get them into office and nothing more. She will say and do anything that she is told to do and that was proven when she was pushed up as a so called v.p. candidate.

I laugh when people try and pretend like palin would be a great choice even if ron paul was on the ticket. Here is thought, do you think palin would be ron pauls v.p? I doubt it as well and why would we ever want ron paul as HER v.p., he would never accomplish anything.

She is pro war, she is pro spending and she is a ton of bullshit. I think we have done the "lesser of all evils" bullshit with plenty of elections so far, we either need to take it all over or go home.

Palin and her so called tea party is nothing but b.s. and their attempt at taking away what it was ron paul started.

do you see her

reducing our military complex? she has a damn hard on for wars
reducing our federal spending ? did you read about her spending in alaska?
reducing government control over our lives?
giving us gun rights ? this MIGHT be a possible but I doubt she would ever be a strong president or v.p. and pretty much would be a pretty face with someone controlling the strings.

fuck palin
Well the question was if that was the only way to get Ron as president. Of course I see numerous ways to give Ron the best shot. And as I stated I'm not even sure Palin on the ticket would help in the general, in fact it would most likely hurt our chances. There much better qualified people out there than Palin. I'm convinced Ron would actually choose Michelle Bachmann over Palin, given the choice. The best place for her is to cheerlead our candidates in her circle of friends.