PDA

View Full Version : Well, those jerks are at it again - My City Hall plight

BLS
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Got an email just now from my city.

The good news, I've won my fight about my political sign.
The bad news, is now I have to move the Ron Mobile off my property because I cannot store it inside my garage.

Pic of the RonMoblie is below the email I got from the city.

Chris,

The City Attorney and I have reviewed the sign code and have agreed changes are needed. We will prepare an amendment to the City Code for Planning Commission and City Council review in November\December. We will not pursue election sign violations until final action by the Council (likely in December).

I note that a cube van has been parked on your property near the intersection of 6th and Maple. It appears the vehicle exceeds eight feet in height. The cube van is considered a "commercial vehicle" under our Property Maintenance Ordinance. City Code Chapter 158.04, Subd. B3 (attached) requires commercial vehicles exceeding eight feet in height to be stored within an enclosed structure. Please take action to comply with the ordinance.

Please contact me with any questions.

John Hinzman, AICP
Planning Director

City of Hastings
101 East 4th Street
Hastings, Minnesota 55033
(651) 480-2378 - voice
(651) 437-7082 - fax

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1149/1427483025_dbbcf7de8b.jpg

JoshLowry
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
requires commercial vehicles exceeding eight feet in height to be stored within an enclosed structure. Please take action to comply with the ordinance.

Cut the top of that truck off! ;)

Glad to hear that the sign issue was resolved.

foofighter20x
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
make that truck a low rider...

problem solved ;) :D

Question_Authority
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Wait. Did you have that truck parked there before it was painted with a Ron Paul logo? Did anyone say anything then?

Silly silly people.

If this is what freedom feels like...

Mortikhi
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Yep. Smaller tires and spring clamps.

Grandson of Liberty
would a tent count as an enclosed structure?

BLS
Wait. Did you have that truck parked there before it was painted with a Ron Paul logo? Did anyone say anything then?

Silly silly people.

If this is what freedom feels like...

No, it's not my truck. It's our meetup groups.
I've thought about taking the wheels off of it. :D

BLS
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Arent' Uhauls considered Commercial? They are all over the place in town and aren't in enclosed areas.

These F*Kers are gonna really p!$$ me off.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
BLS,
Would you please release us from our obligation not to contact them? They need to feel our presence.

michaelwise
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Paint part of it to look like a Hummer, or monster truck.

Mortikhi
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
What state law is referenced in Property Maintenance Ordinance. City Code Chapter 158.04, Subd. B3?

I thought if there was no law in reference, then the ordinance be damned.

BLS
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
BLS,
Would you please release us from our obligation not to contact them? They need to feel our presence.

Kyle,

I'm going to review this further, and if possible, see if I have any legal options where I can fight this.

If I cannot, I will be GLAD to let you guys loose on these f'ing pricks.

McDermit
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
ACLU. They are targeting you because of the RPness.

McDermit
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
One letter from the ACLU and they'll likely back off.

BLS

Oh, I know.

They're probably pissed off because I caught em with their pants down and they know I'm not an idiot or a sheep.

These guys have NO idea how motivated I can be when I'm pissed off.
They have messed with the wrong dude.

Johnnybags
If it is in use, it is not "stored". If its registered it has every right to be anywhere you want during business hours. The lunacy of it all, next they will consider you a mobile billboard.

jasonhlasvegas2008
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow. Those guys are jerks. What a nitpicky thing to complain about.

BLS I want to commend you on your efforts to stand up for your rights. Most people would just give up. You are true patriot, and I want you to know you have my support. Email me if you need help in the future.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Indeed. They're retaliating because of you standing up for your free speech rights. They need a world of hurt, whether that's Ron Paul supporters calling them in droves to complain or media sticking mikes in their face.

micahnelson
10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Im thinking build an acrylic shed.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Here's the code in question.

(3) In R-2, R-3, R-4, R-5 Residential Districts, it is unlawful to park or store on a residential lot more than a combined total of 3 vehicles per residential dwelling unit outside of an enclosed structure on any lot. Of these 3, only 1 may be of the recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment category.

They're actually enforcing B 4 b against you, not B 3.

(4) For those allowed in this division, the following conditions shall apply:
(a) No recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment shall be parked or stored at the street end of a driveway within the boulevard portion of the public right-of-way.
(b) No more than 1 currently licensed recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment may be parked in a driveway on a residential lot and it must also be 8 feet or less in height.
(c) One currently licensed recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment may be parked on the lot behind the nearest portion of the building closest to a street.
(d) No motor vehicles, passenger vehicles, recreational vehicles/equipment or commercial vehicles/equipment shall be used for the purpose of a residence and/or housekeeping, in any zoning district, unless approved by the City.
(e) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, no commercial vehicles/equipment may be parked or stored on a residential lot outside of a structure, except while work is being performed at the property.
(f) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, recreational vehicles/equipment can be parked in a driveway for a period not to exceed 48 hours for purpose of loading or unloading.

http://www.ci.hastings.mn.us/InsideCityHall/Ordinances/CodeTitle15/CodeTitle15.158.pdf

james1844
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Looks to me like they are harassing you. Can't you just bring out the big guns and sue them?

kylejack
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
BLS: Do you have access to this- "the lot behind the nearest portion of the building closest to a street"? If so, you can park a vehicle there taller than 8 feet, if I read this correctly.

ronpaulyourmom
10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
1. Truck looks too tall to come below 8 feet, no matter what alterations you make to it.
-
2. Is it detachable from the truck itself? Maybe you can make it a sign that isn't a vehicle ya know?
-
3. Can the 'enclosed' structure be transparent? Ship in a bottle anybody? :)

But yeah, best to see if there's any legal recourse.

Johnnybags
10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
For those who remember,lol

http://www.tcnj.edu/~hofmann/Granby/PICT0026.JPG

JoshLowry
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
What about a glass enclosed structure? :D

edit: rpym beat me to it!

freedominnumbers
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Get a crew together on the weekend and cut off the top. You should be able to install some support rails so that you can slide the top back on when needed for actual box truck work.

Then you can lean the top of the truck against something in the yard with a big sign next to it that says "Our city hall says I'm not allowed to keep the top on my truck when it's parked in my own driveway. Vote Ron Paul"

mkrfctr
10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
It might be in another section of code other than what was in the PDF, but there is no mention of street parking, often as long as the vehicle is moved every 24 to 48 hours (depends on city) it is not considered an abandoned vehicle and they cannot do anything about it.

However there are often ordinances against certain types of vehicles parked in residential ares - to prevent truck drivers from parking their 18-wheelers in front of the house when they are home, etc.

Otherwise the only 'out' I see is "(e) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, no commercial vehicles/equipment may be parked or stored on a residential lot outside of a structure, except while work is being performed at the property." but the way I read that it would be inclusive of rule (B)(4)(b) which still limits height to 8 feet. If however it was an exception to that rule, then I would imagine all you would need to do is get a city permit for anything construction related, and then the truck would be there "while work is being performed at the property" ;-)

mkrfctr
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Or, now that they backed down on the signage thing, just put up a giant 8'x8' sign consisting of 2 sheets of ply wood, problem solved. ;-)

awigo50
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
For those who remember,lol

http://www.tcnj.edu/~hofmann/Granby/PICT0026.JPG

Garby Colorado, no? Memorable.

michaelwise
10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh, I know.

They're probably pissed off because I caught em with their pants down and they know I'm not an idiot or a sheep.

These guys have NO idea how motivated I can be when I'm pissed off.
They have messed with the wrong dude.I had the same problem a while back with dog law violations, about a dozen of them. They learned the hard way not to pick someone like me to screw with. I researched state laws and local ordinances.
I took them to lower court where I got a few citations thrown out, then to the county court and got the rest of them thrown out. It was just me against the town lawyer, dog catcher, and lady complainer. Oh but I didn't stop there. I forced them to take down all the," No dogs allowed" signs, posted against local ordinances, from all the town's parks. You mess with the bull, you're gonna get the horns.

Johnnybags
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Garby Colorado, no? Memorable.

and spent months armor plating his dozer for a city hall plow job.

BLS
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for your support and kind words.

I have DECIDED to ASK all of you to NOT contact my city.
I will pursue this by playing their game, by their rules, but my one ace in the hole is the Constitution.

PS - I love the idea of cutting the top off and making a sign out of it! Hilarious.

UCFGavin
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
what if you take the wheels off of it? does it fall below 8 feet?

Ninja Homer
10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
BLS, congratulations on a huge win! Not only are they allowing your banners, they are allowing the same for everybody, and changing their ordinance. That's huge!!!

They are obviously pissed off. If you move the truck somewhere else, you'll allow them to save face, and they'll probably leave you alone from then on.

If you want to fight this truck thing, I have a suggestion for you. Get the addresses of all city officials. Go to all their homes, and look for any vehicles that are over 8' high, or any of those other vehicle ordinances. You'll probably find at least a couple of them with RV's (depending on how many city officials you have). Then do what you will with that list... talk to those people directly, send the list back to them of other people you expect to follow the ordinance, etc.

Also, this could be a good story for local media. Before, you were fighting for 1st amendment rights. Now, you won your fight for 1st amendment rights, and they are coming back at you fighting something else.

Good luck! (again) :D

michaelwise
10-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe you could borrow that dozer and dig a 3 foot trench in your yard, to park the truck in. Ask code enforcement first; if the truck is less than 8 foot above grade, is it OK?

kylejack
10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
It might be in another section of code other than what was in the PDF, but there is no mention of street parking, often as long as the vehicle is moved every 24 to 48 hours (depends on city) it is not considered an abandoned vehicle and they cannot do anything about it.

However there are often ordinances against certain types of vehicles parked in residential ares - to prevent truck drivers from parking their 18-wheelers in front of the house when they are home, etc.
Yeah, I found that somewhere else in the code.

71.08 TRACTOR TRAILER, TRAILER, SEMI-TRAILER, COMMERCIAL VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT, RECREATIONAL VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT PARKING.
(A) It is unlawful to park a detached semi-trailer, detached tractor trailer, or commercial vehicle/equipment upon any street, municipally owned parking lot, or other public property.
(B) It is unlawful to park an attached trailer and semi-trailer or commercial vehicle/equipment, on any streets or alleys, except for the purpose of loading or unloading the same. In no case may tractor trailer, semi-trailer, or commercial vehicle/equipment parking exceed 6 hours.
http://www.ci.hastings.mn.us/InsideCityHall/Ordinances/CodeTitle07.pdf

Uh, don't A and B seem to conflict? One says you can't do it, the other says you can but only for unloading. Regardless, it shuts down the parking on the street idea.

Otherwise the only 'out' I see is "(e) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, no commercial vehicles/equipment may be parked or stored on a residential lot outside of a structure, except while work is being performed at the property." but the way I read that it would be inclusive of rule (B)(4)(b) which still limits height to 8 feet. If however it was an exception to that rule, then I would imagine all you would need to do is get a city permit for anything construction related, and then the truck would be there "while work is being performed at the property" ;-)
I read that to mean while work is actually being performed, like while the plumber is actually working or whatever.

I think he can still park on "the lot", though, whatever that is. The other thing I'm wondering is what zone he's in. B3 is only enforced in R2, R3, R4, and R5. Its possible he's not in an applicable zone. Finding a zoning map has proved impossible, though. I found one for R2, but that's it.

angelatc
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
If you have been parking there for a significant length of time, then it will be hard for them to enforce the law. The Homeowners Association in my old neighborhood lost several cases just like this for that reason.

BLS
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
If you have been parking there for a significant length of time, then it will be hard for them to enforce the law. The Homeowners Association in my old neighborhood lost several cases just like this for that reason.

No, it's only been there since Saturday.

Bruehound
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
A transparent 'structure' would garner national media attention because of it's novelty and the point it makes. Let us know if we can finance that for you.

bbachtung
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, I think that you are screwed on this one. However, you should contact all members of the city council and the mayor to pursue a change to the definition of the term "commercial vehicles" to exclude vehicles that are not used for business / commercial purposes.

If the city council won't help you, then you should recruit a group of people to run against all of those who are up for reelection in 2008 (a majority of the council -- 4 of 6 is up for reelection in 2008). Counting the mayor, you would control 4 of the 7 seats on the council if you and your cabal took power.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
A transparent 'structure' would garner national media attention because of it's novelty and the point it makes. Let us know if we can finance that for you.
Probably need a more straight-forward way to beat them. Otherwise they'll just pass an ordinance banning transparent structures.

BLS, is there a lot behind your house?

Wilkero
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Too bad the rules for waiver probably don't apply. If the truck was there when they tried to force you to remove the sign and they didn't also notify you that the truck was violating an ordinance, then you could have used an estoppel argument against them. Oh well.

ARealConservative
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Probably need a more straight-forward way to beat them. Otherwise they'll just pass an ordinance banning transparent structures.

BLS, is there a lot behind your house?

Yes but wouldn't some sort of granny clause apply if he was able to build the structure before the law changed?

kylejack
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
For reference, here's the definition of lot and commercial vehicle/equipment.

§ 71.01 DEFINITIONS.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.

COMMERCIAL VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT. Including but not limited to back hoes, dump trucks, landscaping equipment, skid steers, wood chippers, cube or box type trailers or trucks, flat bed trailers, open trailers with rails, tractor trailers, semi-trailers, farm trailers, custom service vehicles, and the like.

LOT. A separate parcel, tract, or area of land undivided by any public street or approved private road, established by plat, metes and bounds subdivision, or as otherwise permitted by law, and occupied by or intended to be developed for and occupied by a principal building or group of the buildings and accessory buildings, or utilized for a principle use and uses accessory thereto, including the open spaces and yards as are designed and arranged or required by city code for the building, use, or development.

Remember, it says you can park on a lot.

werdd
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM
what a load of crap, make that thing a low rider and park it in front of city hall

ClockwiseSpark
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Kyle,

I'm going to review this further, and if possible, see if I have any legal options where I can fight this.

If I cannot, I will be GLAD to let you guys loose on these f'ing pricks.

Just say when.

You f*** with one of us, you f*** with all of us! :mad:

Copperhed51
10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Sounds to me that if you park it in the grass, you're fine. All these codes mention is that you can't park one in the driveway if it's more than 8 feet tall.

In 158.04 B(3), it clearly says you can have no more than one commercial vehicle on your lot and then in B(3)b, it says you can have it in your driveway as long as it's 8 feet or less.

I don't see anywhere in this section that it says you can't park it in the grass on your lot but that may be covered somewhere in your Homeowner's Association rules or in another city code that I'm too lazy to look for. Either way, under the codes they cite in their letter, there is nothing keeping you from moving it from your driveway to your lawn and having it be legal.

Keep up the good fight.

conner_condor
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Put a 4sale sign on it and place a 20K price on it...Use some of your imagination... I am sure they are not allowed for you not to display your item forsale..;) No matter the size on your merchandise on your own property...

BLS
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, I think that you are screwed on this one. However, you should contact all members of the city council and the mayor to pursue a change to the definition of the term "commercial vehicles" to exclude vehicles that are not used for business / commercial purposes.

If the city council won't help you, then you should recruit a group of people to run against all of those who are up for reelection in 2008 (a majority of the council -- 4 of 6 is up for reelection in 2008). Counting the mayor, you would control 4 of the 7 seats on the council if you and your cabal took power.

Kinda what I figured. I guess I'll just have to find a loophole.
Not sure I want to get involved in politics to be honest, but you never know...

BLS
10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Put a 4sale sign on it and place a 20K price on it...Use some of your imagination... I am sure they are not allowed for you not to display your item forsale..;) No matter the size on your merchandise on your own property...

Hey now...that's an Idea.

I had my pickup out in the same spot on my grass for over 4 months with a for sale sign on it, and nobody said boo.

Ninja Homer
10-17-2007, 02:14 PM
If you do end up moving the truck off your property, put one of these up in its place:
http://wtimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=WT&Date=20071017&Category=NATION&ArtNo=110170041&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=580

mkrfctr
10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
So far I'm liking the 'on the driveway' vs 'on the lot' loophole, that's just poorly worded on their part.

Otherwise the finding violations of other officials and then arguing selective enforcement, backed with a veiled threat to file official complaints against those officials - ie make it more of a PITA to do something than it is to just let it slide...

torchbearer
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
would a tent count as an enclosed structure?

How about a tarp?

kylejack
10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Sounds to me that if you park it in the grass, you're fine. All these codes mention is that you can't park one in the driveway if it's more than 8 feet tall.

In 158.04 B(3), it clearly says you can have no more than one commercial vehicle on your lot and then in B(3)b, it says you can have it in your driveway as long as it's 8 feet or less.

I don't see anywhere in this section that it says you can't park it in the grass on your lot but that may be covered somewhere in your Homeowner's Association rules or in another city code that I'm too lazy to look for. Either way, under the codes they cite in their letter, there is nothing keeping you from moving it from your driveway to your lawn and having it be legal.

Keep up the good fight.

It seems like they have that covered too.

§ 158.04 PROPERTY MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS.
(A) Abandoned and non-operational motor vehicles. It is unlawful to park or store on any property within the city any abandoned or non-operational or unlicensed motor vehicle, unless housed within a building which complies with City Code.
(B) Parking and storage of vehicles.
(1) It is unlawful to park or store on a residential lot, outside of a building that complies with city code, vehicles in excess of the amount permitted by this division.
(2) In the Agricultural and R-1 Zoned Residential Districts, it is unlawful to park or store more than a combined total of 5 vehicles outside of a structure on a lot. Of these 5 no more than 2 may be of the recreational vehicle/equipment category or the commercial vehicle/equipment category, combined.
(3) In R-2, R-3, R-4, R-5 Residential Districts, it is unlawful to park or store on a residential lot more than a combined total of 3 vehicles per residential dwelling unit outside of an enclosed structure on any lot. Of these 3, only 1 may be of the recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment category.
(4) For those allowed in this division, the following conditions shall apply:
(a) No recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment shall be parked or stored at the street end of a driveway within the boulevard portion of the public right-of-way.
(b) No more than 1 currently licensed recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment may be parked in a driveway on a residential lot and it must also be 8 feet or less in height.
(c) One currently licensed recreational vehicle/equipment or commercial vehicle/equipment may be parked on the lot behind the nearest portion of the building closest to a street.
(d) No motor vehicles, passenger vehicles, recreational vehicles/equipment or commercial vehicles/equipment shall be used for the purpose of a residence and/or housekeeping, in any zoning district, unless approved by the City.
(e) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, no commercial vehicles/equipment may be parked or stored on a residential lot outside of a structure, except while work is being performed at the property.
(f) Except as provided in (B)(4)(b) above, recreational vehicles/equipment can be parked in a driveway for a period not to exceed 48 hours for purpose of loading or unloading.

What's everyone's take on that? "In excess" of the size requirement or limit requirement? Now that I think about it, I think its a limit requirement, which is one vehicle per residence. I think we may have a loophole here after all. BLS, pull the truck onto the grass and tell him you've brought your property back into compliance.

torchbearer
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
If you do end up moving the truck off your property, put one of these up in its place:
http://wtimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=WT&Date=20071017&Category=NATION&ArtNo=110170041&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=580

Indeed.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Nevermind, I think B 4 e kills the lawn idea.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
An offshoot of Ninja Homer's Idea: Take 5 large pieces of plywood and construct a large box big enough to fit the truck. Paint the outside of the box white with Ron Paul Revolution emblazoned across it. When you have the truck parked in the driveway, put the box over the truck.

Its possible they could say that this is not a city-authorized structure, but note that B 4 e does not reference a city-authorized structure, just a structure. By jove, I think we've got it!

torchbearer
10-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Nevermind, I think B 4 e kills the lawn idea.

All you need is a house construction project that requires your commercial truck and you can legally have it in front of your house until said project is done... as long as its parked on the lot.

Copperhed51
10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Crap, I just read (B)(4)(e) and realized it covers the no vehicles on the lot thing unless work is being performed. However, there is no definition of work being performed and you could argue that you're constantly working on your property.

When you're doing dishes, you're working to keep it clean. When you're sleeping, you're working to protect and defend the property by being there and being a deterrent to criminals. You could pretty easily argue this one for a while (maybe until the elections are over) because cities are incredibly slow at everything they do. If it was me, I'd move it to the grass, argue that you're constantly working on your property, tell them there is no definition of "work being performed", and if they want to enforce these things, they're going to have to write their laws better.

Anyway, just keep it in the system for a really long time and nothing will ever get done as long as you appeal and then when the elections are over, you can move it.

torchbearer
10-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Use the truck to hold lumber for a supposed project on your house, tell them you use it to haul big supplies like that... and its perfectly legal. You can use commercial vehicle to improve your home...

RP08
10-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Has someone proposed parking it in a public space (parking lot) somewhere? I wonder if that's a no-no too.

They're really grasping at straws and putting it to you BLS. Thanks for keeping up the good fight.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Has someone proposed parking it in a public space (parking lot) somewhere? I wonder if that's a no-no too.

They're really grasping at straws and putting it to you BLS. Thanks for keeping up the good fight.
Parking it on any public property is prohibited by parking ordinances.

ItsTime
10-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Bingo does it say anything about parking it on the street in front of your house?

Keep up the good fight.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Bingo does it say anything about parking it on the street in front of your house?
Read the thread, please. Street parking this vehicle is illegal.

Mortikhi
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Is there anything in the ordinance about taking a baseball bat to the city councilmen's knees?

torchbearer
10-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Is there anything in the ordinance about taking a baseball bat to the city councilmen's knees?

not in that ordinance...
but i'm serious about the lumber and home repair idea. you would be within your rights under that law to have the commercial vehicle at your house.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
not in that ordinance...
but i'm serious about the lumber and home repair idea. you would be within your rights under that law to have the commercial vehicle at your house.

Depends on what that passage means. They might mean only while work is actually underway, i.e. someone actually working at that time.

lynnf
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I would hope that you would be able to find a commercial lot that would allow you to park there for free, preferably right next to a busy or interstate highway so that the sign would be there for all to see.

lynn

enjerth
10-17-2007, 04:49 PM
From what I've read, the solution sounds simple.

Apply for a building permit to construct a garage for your truck. They wouldn't deny you THAT, would they? You're trying to comply with their orders!

Then you don't actually have to build the garage, just "work on it", and you can continue to park your truck on the street.

r3volution
10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
they said there not going to mess with you about signs right ? move the truck and make a sign the same size and put it in the same place !

kylejack
10-17-2007, 04:52 PM
they said there not going to mess with you about signs right ? move the truck and make a sign the same size and put it in the same place !
Yes, I'm really liking this idea as a practical solution.

BLS
10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm still considering putting a for sale sign in it but I need to look at the code first.

I'm not giving those pricks any money (building permit).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/1605784116_2fa25150be.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/1604893957_2f2684b3ff.jpg

kylejack
10-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey BLS, we actually determined that the codes do state that having it on the lawn is a violation, so I don't think that's going to work. It does change the code you are violating, though, so now he has to go back to the books!

mkrfctr
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I think best is to just find a business owner somewhere with commercial zoned property who either supports Ron Paul or is just willing to let you park it there. Preferably on a nice busy corner. Doesn't necessarily need to be in your area of the state BLS if you can find someone in MPLS or wherever the MN campaign is trying to focus on... provided of course it is largely just for advertising and you don't need access to it / use it much.

BLS
10-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Now, I'm going to COVER my fence with Ron Paul signs.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Now, I'm going to COVER my fence with Ron Paul signs.

Seriously, you really need to punish him with more huge signs for what's he's trying to pull. I'm sure we could do a chipin to buy you some supplies to build a huge sign with two wooden poles on either side to hold it up.

Thom1776
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Register it as a camper or recreational vehicle.

Throw a sleeping bag in the back.

Tell them to go f*** themselves.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Register it as a camper or recreational vehicle.

Throw a sleeping bag in the back.

Tell them to go f*** themselves.

Recreational vehicles are subject to similar rules. Won't work. :(

McDermit
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Is their complaint that it's an ad for RP.. or just that it's not too attractive? Would they chill if it was an official RP sign that looked a bit more presentable? (No offense... just sayin, if one of my neigbors had a big gaudy homemade banner/sign up, I wouldn't be too pleased. But a "pretty" sign would be more tolerable, regardless of the message.)

Ozwest
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Do you use the truck as a current work vehicle? If not, we could all chip in and locate it on a commercial business property, directly adjacent or across from your government institution of choice.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Is their complaint that it's an ad for RP.. or just that it's not too attractive? Would they chill if it was an official RP sign that looked a bit more presentable? (No offense... just sayin, if one of my neigbors had a big gaudy homemade banner/sign up, I wouldn't be too pleased. But a "pretty" sign would be more tolerable, regardless of the message.)

They dropped the sign issue. Now their complaint is the truck. It may suck to have a neighbor with an ugly sign, but that's free speech. People who don't want ugly signs can move into a neighborhood with a homeowner's association.

American
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I would write what the letter says on the side of the truck also, and let the town know whats going on.

Is it even over 8 feet high?