PDA

View Full Version : My experiment in political speech continues...

osan
09-13-2010, 10:54 AM
I spent the past 5 days in NY/NJ to catch up with Mom and the rest of my network. It was something to discover how sorely I miss everyone, but that is another story.

On 9/11 I went to lower Manhattan. There were millions of people there, many garbed in mourning colors. They read the names of the 2974 people who were killed that day. As has been my habit, I was wearing my empty holster on my belt for the world to see. In a place like NYC it is difficult to do this and not have moments of acute self-consciousness. Interestingly, I was at a Starbucks on Spring St. with my friend and there was a guy in there with an empty shoulder rig! I didn't feel quite so odd thereafter. :)

Anyhow, I got lots of stares, but nobody freaked out. Several cops took keen note of the piece of sewn leather on my hip, yet not a one gave me any guff about it. I was a bit surprised by that.

I invite everyone to visibly and conspicuously wear an empty holster in the places where our rights are violated as a statement of protest.

Oh, one other thing - in the subways there are signs up alerting people to the fact that it is now illegal to paint a real gun to look like a "toy" (posters show a Glock painted rest to look like a training prop) or to sell "realistic" looking toy guns. It asks of the citizens to call "311" if they see either. It would seem to imply that owning a toy gun is also illegal. This does raise a question - if I were to fashion a pistol-like object with a dildo in place of a barrel, would there be any basis for arresting me were I to carry it in public? If so, what would that basis be? Possession of a deadly sex toy? Just how far can these imbeciles go? Arrest? Prosecution? Conviction? I found myself laughing at the poster as I read it - it was SO stupid as to defy credulity. The people ruining my home town are unspeakably stupid.