PDA

View Full Version : Bar owner defies laws to stay in business...

phill4paul
09-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Turah bar defies smoking ban

MISSOULA — The owner of a bar in Turah says she's had to resort to breaking the law to keep her business afloat.

Peggy Bjornberg says business declined 70 percent in the first three weeks after she implemented the smoking ban required when the Montana Clean Indoor Air Act took effect for bars last Oct. 1. She decided she'd have to allow smoking and pay the fines to stay in business.

Erica Rollins heads Tobacco Free Missoula County. She says Bjornberg's Turah Pines Bar is the only bar in the county blatantly disregarding the law. As of Tuesday, Turah Pines faced $1,300 in fines and Rollins was preparing documentation to turn over to the county attorney's office.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_53db5d82-1be5-11df-946e-001cc4c002e0.html

erowe1
09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
That is a true act of patriotism.

phill4paul
09-12-2010, 03:39 PM
That is a true act of patriotism.

Yes. It truly is. I wish we had more that did this.

A local bar has adopted the policy of renting ashtrays for $1 each to pay for fines and/or court costs.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
It does work out better when you just ignore them.

Trouble is, some busybody cocksucker has to stir the shit.

If Erica Rollins had just minded her own business, maybe it never would have come up.

Some people in this world are just not happy unless they are telling somebody else what to do.

james1906
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Peggy Bjornberg needs to forcibly enter Erica Rollins' house and fine her for anything that isn't safe.

Vessol
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Huge kudos to her for being awesome. I personally hate non-smoking laws so much. It should be up for the buisiness to decide.

She should get together with other bar owners across Montana and all fight back against that bullshit that I can't believe Montana passed.

The only reason Montana passed it is because of all the stupid fucking Californians that moved up there and out of state lobbying groups.

ammorris
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
If I lived in the area, I would make a special point to frequent this bar.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
The only reason Montana passed it is because of all the stupid fucking Californians that moved up there...

Lol! Probably. It's something that almost everyone in California likes, even smokers.

In California, you do have some small, dive bars that allow people to smoke in them. No one cares. But even a lot of smaller dive bars actually like the smoke free interior and enforce it themselves. You walk outside to smoke. Everyone is used to it, and for smokers, it's the greatest social opportunity ever created.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
The only reason Montana passed it is because of all the stupid fucking Californians that moved up there...

Not to derail this thread, but do you know why so many people left California and went to other States? Because of massive immigration into California from Asia and south of the border. Immigration does have side effects.

james1906
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Lol! Probably. It's something that almost everyone in California likes, even smokers.

In California, you do have some small, dive bars that allow people to smoke in them. No one cares. But even a lot of smaller dive bars actually like the smoke free interior and enforce it themselves. You walk outside to smoke. Everyone is used to it, and for smokers, it's the greatest social opportunity ever created.

That's changing. I went back to my hometown a couple of months ago and went to a local dive I hadn't been to in a couple of years. The city gov't had some new blood and stopped looking the other way at the dives who still allowed smoking. That bar used to be jam packed at 11 pm on a Friday, when I was there, it felt more like a weekday. The clientele changed too. Used to be punks, rockabillies, and leathery old timers, when I went last, it was middle-class suburban boredom. It was also the first time I never heard a Social D song played on the juke box.

nobody's_hero
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM

That's how it is here in Georgia. I once made a mistake while bar-hopping and walked into a bar that served food while holding a lit cigarette. Those "No Smoking" signs are hard to see when you're three-sheets-to-the-wind. :D

I remember when Waffle House had smoking and non-smoking sections.

PatriotOne
09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Not to derail this thread, but do you know why so many people left California and went to other States? Because of massive immigration into California from Asia and south of the border. Immigration does have side effects.

Not to mention they could sell their hovel for $300,000 in Cal and move into a mansion using the proceeds in most other states.

specsaregood
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM

methinks the weather outside and climate in much of california is a bit more friendly to this type of ban than Montana. You gonna just walk outside to smoke in montana in December? sure have your dinner outside on the patio too. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 08:00 PM
That's changing. I went back to my hometown a couple of months ago and went to a local dive I hadn't been to in a couple of years. The city gov't had some new blood and stopped looking the other way at the dives who still allowed smoking. That bar used to be jam packed at 11 pm on a Friday, when I was there, it felt more like a weekday. The clientele changed too. Used to be punks, rockabillies, and leathery old timers, when I went last, it was middle-class suburban boredom. It was also the first time I never heard a Social D song played on the juke box.

The dive gin mills, working class taverns and port town barrooms are all becoming a thing of the past, replaced, just like everything else any more, by ersatz, soft, feminized, feel good phonies run by some mega, hyper, global conglomerate.

The Crow's Nest =/= Chili's

TC95
09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Peggy Bjornberg says business declined 70 percent in the first three weeks after she implemented the smoking ban required when the Montana Clean Indoor Air Act took effect for bars last Oct. 1. She decided she'd have to allow smoking and pay the fines to stay in business.

Sounds like a nice way for the state to make some money. I bet other bars end up doing the same and the state just sits back and collects the bucks with a big, fat smile on it's face. What a clever form of extortion.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Not to mention they could sell their hovel for $300,000 in Cal and move into a mansion using the proceeds in most other states.

300k? That would be the ghetto. ;) 50 year old ranch houses on postage stamp lots sold for 850K...

The dive gin mills, working class taverns and port town barrooms are all becoming a thing of the past, replaced, just like everything else any more, by ersatz, soft, feminized, feel good phonies run by some mega, hyper, global conglomerate.

The Crow's Nest =/= Chili's

The Crow's Nest in Santa Cruz has always been upscale. Chili's is the dive. ;)

Feminized? Drink your plastic like a real man! You'll be less angry, but you'll complain more. :D

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
The Crow's Nest in Santa Cruz has always been upscale. Chili's is the dive. ;)

That's a neat west coast 'flip side' sort of thing.

Back east I'm referring to the Crow's Nest in Gloucester MA, popularized in the book and film "The Perfect Storm". I don't know what it's like now, just to say it's still there, but back in the day, (almost 25 years ago, now) that was a drinking, fighting, puking, whoring, hell raising place.

I loved it. :D

Chili's of course, being the chain.

Feminized? Drink your plastic like a real man! You'll be less angry, but you'll complain more. :D

That explains what happened to Danke.

All kidding aside, serious issue, men's sperm counts and testosterone levels are falling, world wide, at precipitous rates.

Something's going on, that's for damn sure, and the compounds in all the food and drink grade plastics is as good a cause as any to look at.

Captain Bryan
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
methinks the weather outside and climate in much of california is a bit more friendly to this type of ban than Montana. You gonna just walk outside to smoke in montana in December? sure have your dinner outside on the patio too. :rolleyes:

They do it in Minnesota.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
All kidding aside, serious issue, men's sperm counts and testosterone levels are falling, world wide, at precipitous rates.

Something's going on, that's for damn sure, and the compounds in all the food and drink grade plastics is as good a cause as any to look at.

Yep. The plastics are a concern. Just read that the most common (number 1) plastic used for water bottles is a "one use" plastic. Nothing guaranteed after that. Reuse them and no telling what will happen.

We also have prescription hormones as a primary suspect. Surfactants (detergents) also break down into hormone like substances. There's the top three.

The good news is that we'll all lactate, which will save on dairy costs. :eek: :o

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
The good news is that we'll all lactate, which will save on dairy costs. :eek: :o

Lactating moobs. Great.

Now there's a repulsive thought.

:eek:

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Lactating moobs. Great.

Now there's a repulsive thought.

:eek:

We won't be able to claim "hormone free", and organic is out of the question.

coastie
09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep. The plastics are a concern. Just read that the most common (number 1) plastic used for water bottles is a "one use" plastic. Nothing guaranteed after that. Reuse them and no telling what will happen.

We also have prescription hormones as a primary suspect. Surfactants (detergents) also break down into hormone like substances. There's the top three.

:eek: Think I just threw up in my mouth a little.:D

Where I'm at in PCB, Florida, there are several bars that still allow you to smoke inside, even though I believe it's technically illegal here in this state. They've been doing it for years without issues as far as I know(I'll admit, it's extremely rare for me to go out nowadays). I do smoke, and I understand some dont want to be around it....but fuck'em...you dont like it, go to another bar with "clean" air....

And besides, i think it's just plain weird to walk into a bar and not smell the smoke, takes the atmosphere away for me.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
We won't be able to claim "hormone free", and organic is out of the question.

Oh stop, yer killing me.

Bad as the rat milk for schoolkids in a Simpson's episode.

:D

Pericles
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM

:eek:The Commies got to our precious bodily fluids!

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
:eek:The Commies got to our precious bodily fluids!

The JBS was right.

Fucking fluoride.

amy31416
09-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Free range fellows....I really don't know where I'm going with this, but it's either gross or sexy--perhaps both.

Vessol
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Possibly. But a lot of the yellow belly liberals I met in Montana loved the shit out of immigrants. A lot of the ones who owned ranches hired illegals almost exclusively.

Most Californian's I met moved here because of poor schools, and expensive living. Others just liked to buy land up here.

That's in and around Bozeman(sadly now one of the most Californianized cities in Montana) at least. Could be different in other parts of Montana.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Free range fellows....I really don't know where I'm going with this, but it's either gross or sexy--perhaps both.

Silence, you!

There is nothing, repeat nothing, sexy about lactating moobs.

:p;)

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Possibly. But a lot of the yellow belly liberals I met in Montana loved the shit out of immigrants. A lot of the ones who owned ranches hired illegals almost exclusively.

Most Californian's I met moved here because of poor schools, and expensive living. Others just liked to buy land up here.

That's in and around Bozeman(sadly now one of the most Californianized cities in Montana) at least. Could be different in other parts of Montana.

Californicated.

Out east, we have to deal with Massholes.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Eyhay uysgay, ixnay ethay actationlay alktay. Eythay illway
ubjectsay usway otay idnightmay eedingsfay ifway ethay ecretsay
omescay outway.

amy31416
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Silence, you!

:p;)

Yes, yes, yes...you are right...but the "free range" part gets me all confused...

dammit.

Vessol
09-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't know what it is, but I think you got an idea going there Anti-Fed. For a long while I've felt, well to but it bluntly, not as much of a man. Never really have had much energy or even sexual drive, and I'm in pretty good shape. It's definitely a problem I can tell is affecting the nation. Look at most men whom are 40+, then look at those younger. Big difference I'm finding. Fucking globalists poisoning us.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Eyhay uysgay, ixnay ethay actationlay alktay. Eythay illway
ubjectsay usway otay idnightmay eedingsfay ifway ethay ecretsay
omescay outway.

No shit.

They are one step away from those little yellow RFID tags in our ears.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Absolutely. They never let their own self-destructive positions stand in the way of their own happiness. When they destroy one place, they move on to the next. "Whoops, my philosophy didn't work out for some reason. Have fun, see ya later, gotta go now. I'll try it again somewhere else."

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't know what it is, but I think you got an idea going there Anti-Fed. For a long while I've felt, well to but it bluntly, not as much of a man. Never really have had much energy or even sexual drive, and I'm in pretty good shape. It's definitely a problem I can tell is affecting the nation. Look at most men whom are 40+, then look at those younger. Big difference I'm finding. Fucking globalists poisoning us.

Welcome to the club.:(

Exact same symptoms, exact same feelings, along with weight gain, loss of energy, muscle mass and libido.

Mine was more of shock since it was a rapid departure from the norm for me.

Working on some natural cures, hopefully success will be quantified by follow up blood work.

Fucking globalists poisoning us

I've become convinced that is exactly what these miserable motherfuckers are doing.

Vessol
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Some may write it off as "Oh, that's just part of getting old"

I'm freaking 20, yet I feel like how I imagine a 40 year old would feel. I should be wanting to hump anything that moves and want to cliffjump all the time god damnit.

Hell, some of the 40/50 roughed bearded old timers that come into the station I work at, got so much more life in 'em then I do.

Looking into working on it myself. I love how recently there is all these "Low Testosterone" commercials that are airing all the time. I don't think we're the only ones whom are noticing this stuff :rolleyes:, looks like they want to turn a profit on it.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Some may write it off as "Oh, that's just part of getting old"

I'm freaking 20, yet I feel like how I imagine a 40 year old would feel. I should be wanting to hump anything that moves and want to cliffjump all the time god damnit.

Hell, some of the 40/50 roughed bearded old timers that come into the station I work at, got so much more life in 'em then I do.

Looking into working on it myself. I love how recently there is all these "Low Testosterone" commercials that are airing all the time. I don't think we're the only ones whom are noticing this stuff :rolleyes:, looks like they want to turn a profit on it.

No, that's not normal for a 20 yo.

I've 45 with almost 30 years of bad habits, drugs, work, stress catching up to me.

I'm allowed to feel like I'm falling apart, but I can't right now, so I've got to hold it together for a little while longer.

There is a whole slew of "natural" ways in which to raise testosterone levels.

For god's sake stay away from the pharmaceuticals and artificial hormone replacements, you'll end up with tumors.

Vessol
09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Heh, besides the occasional ibuprofen, I've stayed away from any prescriptions since a misdiagnosis of bipolar fucked me up when I was 14. Basically was a desperate doctor who thought he could cure anything with pills, the cocktail he put me on screwed me up. Got off it and a few months later and I was much better. Never again do I plan to ever take any medicine that is meant to "help" with your mental functions. It really pisses me off how much pills are given out these days for so many god damn things.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-13-2010, 12:53 AM

If that is true Californians have no one to blame but themselves. Californians are free to police state borders trespassing visitors and tourists at any time.

crazyfacedjenkins
09-13-2010, 01:35 AM
It's so bazaar how libs can be ok with weed smoking at the bar, but be Nazis about tobacco!! That's what you get when you let the media create your ideology for you, a bunch of conflicting nonsense full of pseudoscience.

phill4paul
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Lol. You start a thread about a bar owner standing up for their rights, leave it for a day and come back to actatinglay anboobsmay.

I love you guys! In a non-cowboy kinda way. :D

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I hate smoking but I don't see why there can't be non smoking bars and smoking bars. This way everybody wins.

Anti Federalist
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Lol. You start a thread about a bar owner standing up for their rights, leave it for a day and come back to actatinglay anboobsmay.

I love you guys! In a non-cowboy kinda way. :D

http://pcpowerpig.com/gallery/data/501/derailed.jpg

In a big way...:D

silentshout
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I thought it was because the house prices went through the roof? I happen to like living among immigrants as well as people born here..no biggie to me.

As for this bar owner, good for her.

Brian4Liberty
09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I thought it was because the house prices went through the roof? I happen to like living among immigrants as well as people born here..no biggie to me.

Despite the usual rhetoric about immigrants, there are many wealthy ones. The housing boom in Northern California was driven by an increase in demand (population), with little increase in supply. This was before 2000, and before the housing bubble really started. Overcrowding was an issue at that time too.

Back on subject, in California there are tobacco shops and huka bars where smoking is no problem...