PDA

View Full Version : The Accountability in Legislation Act - PLEASE HELP!

susano
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I just send the following email to Ron Paul and Justin Amash (congressional candidate in my district). Please copy and forward to your constitutional candidate and suggest they get with Ron and Justin to draft this legislation.

Dear Justin, I have also sent the following to Ron Paul.

My subject line for this email is my title for the legislation I am suggesting. This could also be floated as an amendment to the constitution (state and federal). I know that you're proposing the 72 hour thing, but that is not enough.

I would like to see, at the state and federal levels, legislation enatcted that requires:

1) All legislation must be authored by the congress person who introduces it. No lobbyists, special interests, staff or anyone else allowed to craft legislation.

2) All legislation limited to a certain number of pages, MAX. And, I don't mean hundreds or thousands of pages. More like 25 pages, INCLUDING amendments.

3) A requirement to sign off by any legislator who votes on any bill, swearing under penalty of perjury, that they have read and understand what they have voted on.

4) Violation of any of the above would be a felony, punishable by huge money and prison time.

What this would achieve is a massive slowing down of the volume of legislation being passed and it would stop substitutes being slipped in by other parties.

Two pieces of legislation that come to mind that were never read are the PATRIOT Act and the health care abomination. Both horrid and unconstitutional.

I am sure that our founders never intended that unelected parties be crafting our laws, nor could they have envisioned thousand page bills that take teams of lawyers to decipher and that our legislators can't understand, let alone read.

PLEASE write (or co-sponsor with Ron Paul) and introduce such a bill in the next congress and in Michigan while you're still in office here.

Jeremy
09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
#2 would never pass.

wormyguy
09-12-2010, 01:22 PM
The thing is that merely repealing everything created in the PATRIOT Act or PPACA would require a bill nearly as long.

susano
09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
#2 would never pass.

Don't be negative. We have to try. Just like with auditing and ending the Fed.

I would expect a lot of opposition. It's probably the kind of bill that would have to be introduced over and over. I want to see those oppose explaining why don't want accountability in legislation.

Whether you think it could be passed or not, please copy it and send it to other constitutional candidates and/or write Ron Paul and Amash asking them to introduce it.

susano
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
The thing is that merely repealing everything created in the PATRIOT Act or PPACA would require a bill nearly as long.

No it wouldn't it. All it takes is a law saying whatever legislation is hereby repealed.

Philhelm
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
#2 would never pass.

No, it's just #4 that wouldn't pass.

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
#2 would never pass.

It should pass!

The total word count of the US Constitution is 4,440 and it is the shortest constitution of any country in the world.

The cabbage memo has been circulating for years and Snopes says it's false because they found a 1945 regulation on cabbage that was only 1,000 words. Think it's still only 1,000 words? Stossol brought a US army regulation on making chocolate chip cookies on his show a while ago - it was 25 pages...

The cabbage memo in one variation:

Pythagorean theorem: 24 words
The Lords Prayer: 66 words
Archimedes Principle: 67 words
The Ten Commandments: 179 words
The Gettysburg Address: 286 words
The Declaration of Independence: 1,300 words
The US government regulations on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words

-t

wormyguy
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
No it wouldn't it. All it takes is a law saying whatever legislation is hereby repealed.

Not that simple. The PATRIOT Act or PPACA, for example, are mostly collections of thousands of various amendments to dozens of previously existing statutes. To fully repeal either one, the repeal bill has to go one by one repealing every one of those amendments. Anything less specific would likely be struck down by the courts.

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Not that simple. The PATRIOT Act or PPACA, for example, are mostly collections of thousands of various amendments to dozens of previously existing statutes. To fully repeal either one, the repeal bill has to go one by one repealing every one of those amendments. Anything less specific would likely be struck down by the courts.

This is something that needs to change too. I would add, that if a law is to be modified, the original law must be repealed, it's effects to date examined as to if it achieved it's original aims and if it was effective, then it needs to be re-written - not simply modified and debated on the floor.

It should also have to adhere to new guidelines, like not over 25 pages, stating what enumerated authority allows Congress to pass it and if modifies other laws, they all go down like domino's and have to be individually fixed!

-t

susano
09-12-2010, 04:17 PM

I don't think so. By repealing the law that altered the others, the others would revert back to their prior state.

GunnyFreedom
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I just send the following email to Ron Paul and Justin Amash (congressional candidate in my district). Please copy and forward to your constitutional candidate and suggest they get with Ron and Justin to draft this legislation.

Dear Justin, I have also sent the following to Ron Paul.

My subject line for this email is my title for the legislation I am suggesting. This could also be floated as an amendment to the constitution (state and federal). I know that you're proposing the 72 hour thing, but that is not enough.

I would like to see, at the state and federal levels, legislation enatcted that requires:

1) All legislation must be authored by the congress person who introduces it. No lobbyists, special interests, staff or anyone else allowed to craft legislation.

Sounds like a good way to ensure that Congress is perpetually filled with liars and lawyers. If I can't have a legally knowledgeable staffer/assistant helping me write bills, then you can count me out for running for Congress. All by my lonesome I am sure to produce legislation with loopholes that lawyers can exploit and make things worse. I have no desire to go to Congress and make things worse. If the above measure passes, then you'll never have to worry about me running for Congress.

2) All legislation limited to a certain number of pages, MAX. And, I don't mean hundreds or thousands of pages. More like 25 pages, INCLUDING amendments.Say hello to three point single-spaced type on pages front and back with a 1/8 inch margin.

3) A requirement to sign off by any legislator who votes on any bill, swearing under penalty of perjury, that they have read and understand what they have voted on.Good idea.

4) Violation of any of the above would be a felony, punishable by huge money and prison time.Good idea.

What this would achieve is a massive slowing down of the volume of legislation being passed and it would stop substitutes being slipped in by other parties.

Two pieces of legislation that come to mind that were never read are the PATRIOT Act and the health care abomination. Both horrid and unconstitutional.

I am sure that our founders never intended that unelected parties be crafting our laws, nor could they have envisioned thousand page bills that take teams of lawyers to decipher and that our legislators can't understand, let alone read.

PLEASE write (or co-sponsor with Ron Paul) and introduce such a bill in the next congress and in Michigan while you're still in office here.

osan
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Impossible to enforce.

2) All legislation limited to a certain number of pages, MAX. And, I don't mean hundreds or thousands of pages. More like 25 pages, INCLUDING amendments.

How about five?

3) A requirement to sign off by any legislator who votes on any bill, swearing under penalty of perjury, that they have read and understand what they have voted on.

Excellent idea.

4) Violation of any of the above would be a felony, punishable by huge money and prison time.

Minimum 10 years in general population in the worst supermaxes in the nation. Max of death penalty if legislation proves treasonous.

susano
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a good way to ensure that Congress is perpetually filled with liars and lawyers. If I can't have a legally knowledgeable staffer/assistant helping me write bills, then you can count me out for running for Congress. All by my lonesome I am sure to produce legislation with loopholes that lawyers can exploit and make things worse. I have no desire to go to Congress and make things worse. If the above measure passes, then you'll never have to worry about me running for Congress.

It would slow legislation to a crawl, which is what we need. We don't need new laws (exept this one :D), we need laws repealed.