PDA

View Full Version : GOP tries to take out tea party-backed candidate

phill4paul
09-12-2010, 07:54 AM
DOVER, Del. – Arms linked, Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell and her conservative backers kick up their heels and clap to the strains of an original song with lyrics befitting a tea party.

"Look out Washington, D.C., 'cause we are on a roll and we're rocking across this country with a message to be told."

It's a tune that's unnerving the Republican establishment in Delaware, which fears being felled by swift kicks from O'Donnell — and tea partiers.

Not longer after tea party-backed Joe Miller stunned Alaska GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski, the Republican establishment is furiously trying to avoid a similar outcome in the Delaware primary on Tuesday. Republican leaders, top strategists and even the Delaware state GOP chairman have taken the unusual step of openly working to defeat O'Donnell and ensure the nomination of their preferred candidate, nine-term Rep. Mike Castle.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/09/12/politics-us-delaware-senate_7921029.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

MozoVote
09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I think she is ".. a certifiable .." - but it's this kind of stuff by the party honchos that drives people the other direction.

We had something like this take place in N.C.'s 8th district. The GOP wanted the Tea candidate out so badly, they led a scorched Earth primary campaign with the state Republican Chairman's fingerprints all over it.

The Dem (Larry Kissell) will probably win, because the outcome was so acrimonious.

phill4paul
09-12-2010, 08:15 AM
I think she is ".. a certifiable .." - but it's this kind of stuff by the party honchos that drives people the other direction.

We had something like this take place in N.C.'s 8th district. The GOP wanted the Tea candidate out so badly, they led a scorched Earth primary campaign with the state Republican Chairman's fingerprints all over it.

The Dem (Larry Kissell) will probably win, because the outcome was so acrimonious.

It certainly isn't inviting to the independents that will sway this next election cycle.

I first heard about this on the Hannity Radio show ( I know, I know, but I also listen to NPR).

I found it interesting because Hannity seemed to throw his support to her and had nothing but kind words.

One thing for sure is this will be an exciting election year as the GOP goes through the pains of re-inventing itself.