PDA

View Full Version : US based Saudi diplomat "life in danger" because he is gay and friends with a Jew

BlackTerrel
09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39118941/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

A ranking Saudi diplomat told NBC News that he has asked for political asylum in the United States, saying he fears for his life if he is forced to return to his native country.

The diplomat, Ali Ahmad Asseri, the first secretary of the Saudi consulate in Los Angeles, has informed U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials that Saudi officials have refused to renew his diplomatic passport and effectively terminated his job after discovering he was gay and was close friends with a Jewish woman...

...Asseri’s application could present an especially awkward dilemma for the Obama administration, which has actively sought Saudi support for the Mideast peace process and for sanctions against Iran. The Saudi government has long been one of the United States’ closest allies in the Middle East and its ruler, King Abdullah, was warmly greeted by President Obama at the White House last June.

But the Saudis have also been sharply condemned by the U.S. State Department and human rights groups for religious and political intolerance, including the treatment of gay people. The most recent State Department human rights report on Saudi Arabia notes that, in addition to denying political and religious rights to minorities, “under Sharia (Islamic law) sexual activity between two persons of the same gender is punishable by death or flogging.”

While the report stated there was no “official discrimination” on the basis of sexual orientation in employment and housing, “sexual orientation could constitute the basis for harassment, blackmail, or other actions.” It noted that in one case reported in a Saudi newspaper three years ago, two men in the Saudi city of Al-Bahah were publicly lashed 7,000 times after being found guilty of sodomy....

I don't know which of these offenses is worse. But combined he's really just asking for it now.

sofia
09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I seem to recall an Israeli leader - Rabin was his name - who got too friendly with the Arabs...(Palestinians)

whatever happened to him?

Oh yeah....thats right...

He was murdered by a wacked out Zionist .... many neo-cons and Likkudniks cheered his death.

but u wont talk about that "Black" Tyrell....will you

BlackTerrel
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
It's Terrel not Tyrell

Not sure how that's relevant to this story.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
No shit his life is in danger if he is a Saudi diplomat who is gay and friends with a Jew.

Is there something unexpected here?

Mini-Me
09-12-2010, 01:00 AM
It's Terrel not Tyrell

Not sure how that's relevant to this story.

What's really confusing is that you don't speak your name, you write it. I'm not sure how max got "Tyrell" out of T-e-r-r-e-l. ;)

Back to the thread: Saudi Arabia is probably one of the top ten most f'ed up countries on the face of the planet. I don't blame this guy for seeking asylum, and I hope he receives it. I'm kind of curious how a guy like this ever got into a Saudi diplomat position, though. :eek:

fj45lvr
09-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I think he was merely in "deep cover" trying to get some intel from our Congress using common means of access.

Liberty Star
09-12-2010, 03:54 AM
This guy should not be sent back to SA, he should be given a asylum in Israel or US.
Since US recently gave asylum to an son of hamas Israeli spy, as an exchange maybe this guy should be settled in holy land where he would have full freedom as an arab.

BlackTerrel
09-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Back to the thread: Saudi Arabia is probably one of the top ten most f'ed up countries on the face of the planet. I don't blame this guy for seeking asylum, and I hope he receives it. I'm kind of curious how a guy like this ever got into a Saudi diplomat position, though. :eek:

Is right. Saudi Arabia is considerably less free and more oppressive than Iran. But they're our "allies" so it's ok :rolleyes:

fj45lvr
09-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Is right. Saudi Arabia is considerably less free and more oppressive than Iran. But they're our "allies" so it's ok :rolleyes:

so true that is.

Pericles
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Good thing that Islam is a religion of peace, otherwise life might get unpleasant for this guy.