PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul attracts nearly 40% of African Americans in Kentucky... That's a pretty sh

Galileo Galilei
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Rand Paul attracts nearly 40% of African Americans in Kentucky...

That's a pretty shocking number for a candidate who has be slandered as a racist.

Other interesting numbers:
Paul attracts 65% of the male vote.
He attracts 60% of those 50 and under.
He attracts an incredible 32% of voters who identify themselves as Moderate, and 20% of those who identify themselves as Liberal.
He attracts 60% of the college graduate vote.

Current poll: Paul 55%, Conway 40%, Undecided 5%

Survey based on likely voters:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233258

sailingaway
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I love it. It is driving the collectivists on the left mad. I saw one comment on Huffpo or kos or some such saying 'this has to be flawed!! No way is Rand Paul getting 37% of the AA vote!!'

They don't for a second see viewing it as being an 'AA vote' at all as being racist.

qh4dotcom
09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Considering that African Americans overwhelmingly vote Democrat (Kerry got 88% of their vote, Obama got 96%) that's a very shocking statistic.

wormyguy
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
To rain on the parade somewhat, SurveyUSA has had some very odd crosstabs this cycle. Fiorina is taking >30% of the black vote in CA, according to them.

Indy Vidual
09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Wasn't last week ~23%, and that was HUGE?
Let's call it 30%, and it's still great for Rand. :)

Fozz
09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
The sample size for blacks is small, so there is a huge margin of error in that number.

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm seeing the same thing in my campaign. That 40% jumps to 60% when you lean on Frederick Douglass as a personal hero of strict Constitutionalism. No joke. Each and every member of the Ron Paul grassroots needs to saturate themselves in Frederick Douglass information, and lean on his example to explain strict Constitutionalism to African Americans. You Rand Paulers out canvassing try this for an experiment. Take a day or so to intently study Frederick Douglass and his personal philosophy on Constitutional government, then start going out of your way to approach African Americans in a friendly manner and talking about our platform as it relates to Frederick Douglass. Watch what happens and come back and tell us if it works or not.

Seriously, Frederick Douglass is THE MAN! His platform is durn near right down the line with everything we believe, with only minor variation. Try it, and prepare to be literally amazed at how receptive African Americans are to the message of liberty and the Constitution.

ItsTime
09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm seeing the same thing in my campaign. That 40% jumps to 60% when you lean on Frederick Douglass as a personal hero of strict Constitutionalism. No joke.

This is why we must take back our history. Frederick realized that the founding fathers set fourth a guide to eventually set all men (women) free.

Ethek
09-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm seeing the same thing in my campaign. That 40% jumps to 60% when you lean on Frederick Douglass as a personal hero of strict Constitutionalism. No joke. Each and every member of the Ron Paul grassroots needs to saturate themselves in Frederick Douglass information, and lean on his example to explain strict Constitutionalism to African Americans. You Rand Paulers out canvassing try this for an experiment. Take a day or so to intently study Frederick Douglass and his personal philosophy on Constitutional government, then start going out of your way to approach African Americans in a friendly manner and talking about our platform as it relates to Frederick Douglass. Watch what happens and come back and tell us if it works or not.

Seriously, Frederick Douglass is THE MAN! His platform is durn near right down the line with everything we believe, with only minor variation. Try it, and prepare to be literally amazed at how receptive African Americans are to the message of liberty and the Constitution.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Indy Vidual
09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Take a day or so to intently study Frederick Douglass...

Great idea Gunny;
Not everyone has a whole day or two....so...
^^^

A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.
Frederick Douglass

A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.
Frederick Douglass

A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.
Frederick Douglass

A man's character always takes its hue, more or less, from the form and color of things about him.
Frederick Douglass

America is false to the past, false to the present, and solemnly binds herself to be false to the future.
Frederick Douglass

~source (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frederick_douglass.html)

At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.
Frederick Douglass

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Frederick Douglass

Fugitive slaves were rare then, and as a fugitive slave lecturer, I had the advantage of being the first one out.
Frederick Douglass

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Frederick Douglass

I could, as a free man, look across the bay toward the Eastern Shore where I was born a slave.
Frederick Douglass

I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
Frederick Douglass

I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.
Frederick Douglass

I recognize the Republican party as the sheet anchor of the colored man's political hopes and the ark of his safety.
Frederick Douglass

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
Frederick Douglass

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Frederick Douglass

It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.
Frederick Douglass

Man's greatness consists in his ability to do and the proper application of his powers to things needed to be done.
Frederick Douglass

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.
Frederick Douglass

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass -

Indy Vidual
09-11-2010, 06:15 PM
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass -

Good reminder:
That one was waiting on page 2 :)
^^^

People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
Frederick Douglass

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.
Frederick Douglass

Slaves are generally expected to sing as well as to work.
Frederick Douglass

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.
Frederick Douglass

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose.
Frederick Douglass

The soul that is within me no man can degrade.
Frederick Douglass

The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion.
Frederick Douglass

The white man's happiness cannot be purchased by the black man's misery.
Frederick Douglass

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground.
Frederick Douglass

To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.
Frederick Douglass

We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future.
Frederick Douglass

What to the Slave is the 4th of July.
Frederick Douglass

When men sow the wind it is rational to expect that they will reap the whirlwind.
Frederick Douglass

Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.
Frederick Douglass

Without a struggle, there can be no progress.
Frederick Douglass

~source (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/frederick_douglass_2.html)

Galileo Galilei
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
The sample size for blacks is small, so there is a huge margin of error in that number.

the margin of error for that sample size is about 16%.

amy31416
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Where's our resident statistician?

Galileo Galilei
09-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Where's our resident statistician?

Take the sample size of likely voters = 561.

Then take 6% of that, the African American vote = 34

Then take the square root of 34 and divide by 34 = .1715

Then take the 37% who voted for Rand and multiply by (1 - .37 = .63), and then multiply this by 4, and then multiply .1715 by this:

.37 x .63 x 4 x .1715 = 16%

So the range for Rand is between 21% and 53%, for a 95% confidence interval.

malkusm
09-12-2010, 12:27 PM

Then take the 37% who voted for Rand and multiply by (1 - .37 = .63), and then multiply this by 4, and then multiply .1715 by this:

Galileo is correct. The Resident Statistician approves.

amy31416
09-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Awesome, thanks....so I can go say that Rand has 53% of the KY AA vote and not be entirely lying, just leaving info out . :p

GunnyFreedom
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Still waiting for a Rand canvasser to report back on how well canvassing AA folks with Frederick Douglass has gone...

GunnyFreedom
09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
After an absolutely amazing day litdopping and semicanvassing minority neighborhoods....bump to get a report from Rand canvassers on how Frederick Douglass is working out. 8-)

GunnyFreedom
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Rand Canvassers? Anybody done their research and tried this? :D

GunnyFreedom
09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
bumping to hear from Rand canvassers who have tried referencing the Constitutionalist platform of Frederick Douglass when reaching out to the AA community...

LadyBastiat
09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Great idea Gunny;
Not everyone has a whole day or two....so...
^^^

A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.
Frederick Douglass

A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.
Frederick Douglass

A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.
Frederick Douglass

A man's character always takes its hue, more or less, from the form and color of things about him.
Frederick Douglass

America is false to the past, false to the present, and solemnly binds herself to be false to the future.
Frederick Douglass

At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.
Frederick Douglass

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Frederick Douglass

Fugitive slaves were rare then, and as a fugitive slave lecturer, I had the advantage of being the first one out.
Frederick Douglass

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Frederick Douglass

I could, as a free man, look across the bay toward the Eastern Shore where I was born a slave.
Frederick Douglass

I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
Frederick Douglass

I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.
Frederick Douglass

I recognize the Republican party as the sheet anchor of the colored man's political hopes and the ark of his safety.
Frederick Douglass

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
Frederick Douglass

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Frederick Douglass

It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.
Frederick Douglass

Man's greatness consists in his ability to do and the proper application of his powers to things needed to be done.
Frederick Douglass

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.
Frederick Douglass

I really really need to read up on Douglass... do you have any books you recommend as a place to start?

Galileo Galilei
09-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I really really need to read up on Douglass... do you have any books you recommend as a place to start?

This is the best one:

My Bondage and My Freedom
by Frederick Douglass
http://www.amazon.com/My-Bondage-Freedom-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140439188

This is an amazing book.

GunnyFreedom
09-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Bump for feedback on how referencing Frederick Douglass has worked out on the Rand Canvass.

Anti Federalist
09-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Frederick Douglass on John Brown

John Brown's zeal in the cause of freedom was infinitely superior to mine. Mine was as the taper light; his was as the burning sun. I could live for the slave; John Brown could die for him.

LadyBastiat
09-20-2010, 03:06 AM
This is the best one:

My Bondage and My Freedom
by Frederick Douglass
http://www.amazon.com/My-Bondage-Freedom-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140439188

This is an amazing book.

Thank you... I will add it to my Amazon book list!

7_digitz
09-20-2010, 09:51 AM
YouTube - American Heritage- Slavery, Democrats, amendments, KKK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beGOAxlygAI)

Galileo Galilei
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Thank you... I will add it to my Amazon book list!

Just a quick note, the book is for sale at Barnes & Noble brand new for about 5 bucks, in the classics section. My copy is the Barnes & Nobe edition. The Penguin edition I have not read that.

The most famous book by Douglass came out in 1845, his Narrative. The book I have promoted here came out in 1855. It pretty much includes everything from his prior book and adds a few more details. But then it covers Douglass's life as a freedom fighter, anti-slavery advocate, and defender of the Constitution leading up to the Civil War.

It is important to understand that Douglass originally believed the Constitution was a pro-slavery document, but then changed his mind after reading it, and also reading the Federalist Papers and Madison's Notes on the Constitution.

The book by Douglass is remarkable. Douglass is an incredibly remarkable man, one of the most remarkable fighters for freedom in all of human history. He was born a slave and somehow taught himself to read. Then he escaped and self-educated himself. But after he became free, he spent his entire life, until the late 1880s, trying to gain freedom for others. He never stopped until his heart stopped beating.

In the book, Douglass describes his contact with his former owner. He even went to visit him. The encounter is so remarkable as to make it hard to believe such a thing could happen. But it did. And the end of the book is amazing, it tells about Douglass taking a trip on a train. When you read it, you will wipe the tears from your eyes.

If you pick up the book, please let us know.

GunnyFreedom
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
And PLEASE Rand Canvassers, start invoking Frederick Douglass when explaining the Rand Paul platform to Black Americans, and then come back here and let us know how that went...

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Bump for feedback on how well invoking Frederick Douglass is working for Rand in Kentucky...

JoshLowry
09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Waiting for volunteers to do something specific is nearly impossible.

"You want something done, do it yourself!"

Which you have done as well as anyone...

You have got me interested in FD and I'll be looking into him. Thanks Glen!

GunnyFreedom
09-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Waiting for volunteers to do something specific is nearly impossible.

"You want something done, do it yourself!"

Which you have done as well as anyone...

You have got me interested in FD and I'll be looking into him. Thanks Glen!

Yeah, I know you are right, more than anything I just want to see if my experience is unique or if it is duplicated in other areas. The most active set of canvassers we have to check this right now is in Rand Paul.

The way I usually approach this is:

"Hello, my name is Glen Bradley, and I am running for NC State House in your district. I am a Constitutionalist -- I believe that the reason our State and Federal governments have come off the rails...not just the last 2, but the last 10, 50, 100 years is because our elected officials have forgotten the people who sent them, ignored the Constitution, did whatever they wanted to, and left us to clean up their mess."

"One of my biggest heroes, a man named Frederick Douglass, a freedman, believed until the day he died that the best guarantee of civil and human rights was the strict and equal enforcement of the Constitution against the government. This is what I intend to do as your representative in the NC State House, to restore the Constitution in honor of Frederick Douglass who sought for all Americans to be free."

"My name is Glen Bradley, I am a Constitutionalist running in the Republican Party which Frederick Douglass co-founded, and I would be honored if I can count on your vote on November second."
So I have been invoking Frederick Douglass in his proper context. That may be a part of why it is working so well.

7_digitz
09-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Bump for feedback on how well invoking Frederick Douglass is working for Rand in Kentucky...

YouTube - Barry Goldwater and Malcolm X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdF4LrVYb34)