PDA

View Full Version : Belgian cop invades privacy

anarchy
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey,

Just wanted to share with you guys something that happened to my friend last night.
He left his car unlocked, with a portable GPS in plain sight. A cop noticed that the car was unlocked, and proceeded to open it. He decided it was critical to contac the owner cause the car was unlocked and it was dangerous for theft. So he decided to take out the GPS, a laptop, paperwork and all other stuff that was valuable. He then looked into the GPS system to check for the last destinations and tried to contact the people there to find the owner. He also proceeded to open up the laptop and start browsing through emails, contact info and even pictures (!) to locate the owner.

Since the cop tried to call me first, and I found out later from my friend what he has done, I decided to call the cop to tell him that he was way out of his league. I said he invaded my friends privacy, and also my company privacy (my friend works for me and has confidential info on his laptop). The cop in return started threatening me with giving him a ticket, and that he would never check any 'volkswagens' again. I polity replied that while I appreciate the effort he went through, it should be limited to checking the license plate and contacting the owner. In this case the car was registered to a company, and he said 'it was too much trouble to find the company owner'. Yeah right.. i guess it's not too much trouble to rob the car yourself and start browsing pictures on the laptop. He even made a remark to my friend saying 'Nice pictures from Vegas'. WTF!!! He also said that next time he will just put a post it on the car 'rob me, im unlocked'. I'm seriously thinking about putting in a complaint against him. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
09-11-2010, 08:25 AM
In the US this would be in the national media.

puppetmaster
09-11-2010, 09:12 AM
In the US this would be in the national media.

not sure about that!

If it was though it would be "cop tries to prevent theft get hassled".......

Then he would get paid vacation if anything

DamianTV
09-11-2010, 09:49 AM
It almost sounds like the cop was actually trying to be nice, but needed to use his brain just a little more...

Bern
09-11-2010, 10:56 AM
If he had malicious intent, you'd never have known the cop had touched anything. The contents would have simply disappeared. If your friend is upset over this, he should take more care to secure his belongings, because if it hadn't been the cop, it could have been a /b/tard sharing his private life with the entire internets.

fatjohn
09-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Did it made any media you know of? I'm also Belgian so that would interest me. Now for your question, I would seriously have no idea if you should put a complaint against him, I would rather see people trying it, but with our Belgian system I have no idea if it would turn out to your personal benefit. But it was some serious invasion of someones privacy. But I can see how the cop in question will not be aware of him doing anything wrong. People do not really get the concept of freedom and privacy around here.

anarchy
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
No it didn't get into the media, it just happened yesterday :)
And while we might not have the same mentality as the americans, we do have one of the most strict privacy laws in the world. So I think this would still be treated appropriately.

sync
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Why was he so desperate to contact the owner? If he was so concerned, why didn't he just lock the door himself, and continue about his business? Sounds like he just wanted to be nosey.

anarchy
09-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Why was he so desperate to contact the owner? If he was so concerned, why didn't he just lock the door himself, and continue about his business? Sounds like he just wanted to be nosey.

Exactly my thoughts. He claimed he couldn't lock the door from the inside, but I think this guy is just really curious.