PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Health Records/ HITECH Act

Michael Landon
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know how to opt out of the Electronic Health Records?

I received the following response from my Congressman in regards to the Electronic Health Records:

Dear Mr. XXXXX:
Thank you for your e-mail concerning electronic health records. I appreciate hearing from you concerning this important issue.

The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act was incorporated in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (P.L. 111-5). The HITECH Act is intended to promote the widespread adoption of health information technology (HIT) to support the electronic sharing of clinical data among hospitals, physicians, and other health care stakeholders.

HIT is widely viewed as a necessary and vital component of health care reform. It encompasses interoperable electronic health records (EHRs)—including computerized systems to order tests and medications, and support systems to aid clinical decision making—and the development of a national health information network to permit the secure exchange of electronic health information among providers.

Language in P.L. 111-5 ensures that individual Americans can opt to never have an EHR entered in the system. During a news conference last year with Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Kathleen Sebelius, Dr. David Blumenthal, who is overseeing the development of the EHR system as HHS’s national coordinator for health care information technology said: “We want to make it clear that no one will ever have to use an electronic health record, if they don’t want to, and that when you do have electronic health records, they’ll have every conceivable privacy protection that is compatible with a useful health care system.”

With best wishes.

Sincerely,
James L. Oberstar, M.C.

I would like to opt out and was hoping someone knew how.

- ML

phill4paul
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Sure they want it. They MUST have the information.

NC sheriffs want your prescription records...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=260023&highlight=prescriptions

Why wouldn't the fed?

Dr.3D
09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I told my physician I didn't want my records being shared, but he said there was nothing he could do to stop it.