PDA

View Full Version : You're not allowed to ask of citizenship in interviews?

WaltM
09-09-2010, 11:20 PM
What the HELL?

Non-citizens enjoy protection of the law from being asked, while protected to be employed?

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/110601/8-things-employers-arent-allowed-to-ask-you

Matt Collins
09-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I also believe you are not allowed to ask age, sex, color or anything else under the CRA.

Bern
09-10-2010, 07:59 AM
It is lawful for an employer to ask an interviewee if they are authorized to work in the US.

The difference is subtle, but important.

SamuraisWisdom
09-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Employers are also supposed to take social security numbers, addresses, sometimes driver's liscences, etc. Then there's also Green Cards, Visas, and whatnot. Usually those types of things will indicate whether or not a person is legally able to work in this country. I remember when I took Japanese in college my professor wasn't a US citizen, but she had a Visa and Green Card (or something like that) which allowed her to teach. She'd been living here for 10+ years. So unless a person is able to come up with some sort of document saying they are legally allowed to be here, then odds are they're an illegal immigrant.

Elwar
09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
But, you must try to figure out their citizenship if trying to sell them a gun.

What if you were interviewing someone to be a gun salesman?

WaltM
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
The difference is subtle, but important.

Fair enough.

I understand non-citizens can work, but I didn't know they're protected under the same anti-discrimination laws.

WaltM
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM

you can ask for their verification of eligibility AFTER you interview them, which is retarded, who gets to decide what an interview is?

phill4paul
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

you can ask for their verification of eligibility AFTER you interview them, which is retarded, who gets to decide what an interview is?

Sometimes I think this nations laws are nothing but an endlessly looping Monty Python sketch.

oyarde
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
You cannot ask age , but you could require they put down when they graduated. Determine age from that .If you hire them, they will need to fill out an I 9 form and that would answer the citizenship.

WaltM
09-10-2010, 02:15 PM
You cannot ask age , but you could require they put down when they graduated.

That doesn't tell much.

You could be recently graduated but still over 40.

You could be graduated 10 years ago and only 32.

Determine age from that .If you hire them, they will need to fill out an I 9 form and that would answer the citizenship.

After you hire them, you can ask for their driver license and SSN, right?

Cynanthrope
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank goodness for the 1st Amendment in the so-called "land of the free". </sarc>

WaltM
09-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank goodness for the 1st Amendment in the so-called "land of the free". </sarc>

forum codes are [ ]

not < >

Also, employers, businesses have little right to free speech, free choice, and property.