PDA

View Full Version : Media Circus over Koran Burning

DisillusionedPatriot
09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
What if the Media Had Ignored Terry Jones?
by Mike Thomas
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-mike-thomas-quran-burn-090910-20100908,0,5042689.column

The Rev. Terry Jones was a sad-sack preacher, lucky to draw 50 people to his steel-shed house of prayer, when the words "burn" and "Quran" had an unfortunate collision in his limited brain.

That he has become an international phenomenon as a result must be a sign the apocalypse is near.

We actually have Gen. David Petraeus, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the White House and even the pope pleading with a hick pastor not to burn books. This is a guy who looks like Jed Clampett wearing a Hulk Hogan mustache, who uses words like "tragical," who earlier this year launched a "No **** mayor'' campaign against a candidate in Gainesville.

Last year Jones sent the kids of the congregation off to school in "Islam is of the devil" T-shirts. Of course they got booted, which got Jones an enticing taste of media attention.

Get the day's top stories in your inbox. Click here to sign up for the Midday Update newsletter

But that was small taters. There are a million Muslim bashers in the big city, and Jones had to do better to hit the big time.

So he got a big old sign and put it on a big old truck in a big old field. It said: "International Burn a Koran Day."

Ding! Ding! Ding!

It was like the three strawberries coming into alignment on a million-dollar slot machine. The New York Times and The Associated Press whipped out their notepads. The networks and cable stations broke out the indignant anchors.

"No Muslim is going to be on your side when you burn their holy book," huffed CNN's Kiran Chetry. "It's silly."

"By carrying through with this, you could be contributing to the harm or death of an American soldier," argued Kelly Cobiella from CBS.

"Do you really think that if Jesus Christ were here today, he would say, 'Pastor go burn that holy book?'" asked ABC's Terry Moran.

Course he would!

I mean, seriously, are they expecting Jones to slap the side of his head in a moment of rational thought and introspection and, right there on camera, take it all back? By golly, you're right. Jesus wouldn't burn them books so I'm just going back to my irrelevant life. See ya'll.

This is someone who can barely scrape together enough people to carry a tune in church, and now he has the world breathlessly waiting for his next words.

He is a regular Moses on the mountaintop, urging the spineless Christians to take a stand against the Muslim hordes.

Even better, Jones is getting burned in effigy over in Kabul, where — on cue — the Islamo whack jobs are demanding President Barack Obama send one of his warlords to silence this crazy infidel.

Crazy begets even crazier.

That all this might get some 20-year-old kid from Ohio blown away in Afghanistan isn't about to stop Jones now.

The good pastor has done found his version of 72 virgins and is living in paradise.

As much as everyone is blaming him, this is far from his fault. He's just a prop.

I ask you: If a sad little man burns some Qurans in the woods, and the media aren't there to film it, is it news?

Of course not.

We created the Rev. Terry Jones from dust. And in two weeks, to dust he shall return. Then we'll move on to the guys who plan to run over the Quran at their monster-truck pull. Whatever it takes to keep your attention.

It is all so truly tragical.

We could help head off such future nonsense if we folded up the circus tent and left Jones alone with his blowtorch and 30 followers.

Maybe if Gen. Petraeus told the media that it isn't Rev. Jones who is endangering troops. That it is our coverage of Rev. Jones. That without us, this book burning would be little more than a grainy video on YouTube.

Put the onus on a responsible party and hope it acts responsibly.

Fat chance.

Bruno
09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Yep. There is no reason that this needed to become International news. Unless some people wanted it to be.

wizardwatson
09-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Yep. There is no reason that this needed to become International news. Unless some people wanted it to be.

Clearly someone wanted it to be. There are videos on youtube of Koran's burning already that haven't started any holy wars. Why is the flame being fanned now?

awake
09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Are they running short of insurgents to justify the American Imperial war machine?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
That's what I've been saying all along.

The fact that some religious fanatic wants to burn some books in some town in Florida has absolutely no baring on my life. But the fact that the media is covering it like it's the biggest even in history is making the consequences of his actions more harmful. If the media would have simply ignored the foolishness then no one would care. But now troop "might" get killed because of it. Hey, we shouldn't be over there any way and the troops or supposedly "fighting for our rights" so this guy burning books is exercising his rights no matter what you feel about it.

But if there are any deaths because of this, I blame the media.

MelissaWV
09-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The media being there has caused way more harm than some nut with his book-burning event ever could. I'm sure that, just last night, someone somewhere burned a book of some kind for their amusement. No one cared.

This is news because the media was looking to paint the nation as a bunch of Muslim-hating crazies. A 50-person congregation does not a nation make. This guy is a scam artist, and everyone's falling for it. Amazon says his book is out of stock. Can you guess what the title is? "Islam is of the devil" is the title, the same phrase on tee shirts and those signs put up around the city. The ad is prominently displayed on their website. The book was just published in August, I believe. As late as this summer, the place was for sale. There was some question as to whether or not parishoners' "volunteer" time was being used to net Pastor Jones money from his eBay furniture sales.

You have a run-down church with a desperate Pastor and almost no local interest, that suddenly has drawn international attention and at least a few more people to their flock than had been there before (people have sent money to the guy because of this event, sent him books, etc.). The book is selling well enough. People know this guy's name. I'd say it's pretty obvious what this is about, but for some reason the media is always slow on this stuff.

Bruno
09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
The media being there has caused way more harm than some nut with his book-burning event ever could. I'm sure that, just last night, someone somewhere burned a book of some kind for their amusement. No one cared.

This is news because the media was looking to paint the nation as a bunch of Muslim-hating crazies. A 50-person congregation does not a nation make. This guy is a scam artist, and everyone's falling for it. Amazon says his book is out of stock. Can you guess what the title is? "Islam is of the devil" is the title, the same phrase on tee shirts and those signs put up around the city. The ad is prominently displayed on their website. The book was just published in August, I believe. As late as this summer, the place was for sale. There was some question as to whether or not parishoners' "volunteer" time was being used to net Pastor Jones money from his eBay furniture sales.

You have a run-down church with a desperate Pastor and almost no local interest, that suddenly has drawn international attention and at least a few more people to their flock than had been there before (people have sent money to the guy because of this event, sent him books, etc.). The book is selling well enough. People know this guy's name. I'd say it's pretty obvious what this is about, but for some reason the media is always slow on this stuff.

You don't really think the media didn't know what it is doing in this case, do you? They knew they were hyping it, giving him all that attention.

MelissaWV
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
You don't really think the media didn't know what it is doing in this case, do you? They knew they were hyping it, giving him all that attention.

He's being painted as a zealous pastor, and that's all. Some folks know what they're doing, sure, but the majority don't look past the surface of things anymore.

Even right now, live, the event has supposedly been called off... and the stated reason is that there has been an agreement to move the NYC mosque. What? No, the city had been widely talking about billing the guy for extra security. Now here's another layer: the security isn't called off! The checkpoint is STILL IN PLACE FOR THIS WEEKEND to get in and out of the neighborhood, even if the event doesn't happen. You still need two forms of ID to get home.

The AP, as I am typing this, says there is no deal now for the NYC Mosque being moved.

See how retarded this is? :(

DamianTV
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone else think WWIII will be a power war fueled by mutual hatred of the wrong religion?

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Clearly someone wanted it to be. There are videos on youtube of Koran's burning already that haven't started any holy wars. Why is the flame being fanned now?

One word answer? Iran.

The book burning is not really the point of the propaganda. What has been "unanimously" agreed upon (by nearly everyone) is that Muslims are so backwards and crazy that they will start murdering people based on a hick Pastor burning a couple of books. The point is to portray all of Islam as backwards and crazy. And we can't let them crazy Muslims have a nuke in Iran, now can we? :rolleyes:

oyarde
09-09-2010, 07:43 PM
One word answer? Iran.

The book burning is not really the point of the propaganda. What has been "unanimously" agreed upon (by nearly everyone) is that Muslims are so backwards and crazy that they will start murdering people based on a hick Pastor burning a couple of books. The point is to portray all of Islam as backwards and crazy. And we can't let them crazy Muslims have a nuke in Iran, now can we? :rolleyes:

It would be alright if Iran did not get a nuclear weapon .It would be alright if India and Pakistan did not have nuclear weapons . I do not trust anybody with one except me .:)

Fozz
09-09-2010, 07:54 PM
That's what I've been saying all along.

The fact that some religious fanatic wants to burn some books in some town in Florida has absolutely no baring on my life. But the fact that the media is covering it like it's the biggest even in history is making the consequences of his actions more harmful. If the media would have simply ignored the foolishness then no one would care. But now troop "might" get killed because of it. Hey, we shouldn't be over there any way and the troops or supposedly "fighting for our rights" so this guy burning books is exercising his rights no matter what you feel about it.

But if there are any deaths because of this, I blame the media.

Blame Fox News, they were the first ones to report this.

Vessol
09-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Friends of the Ron Paul forums! I ask you to join me in feigning ignorance to the events of the Qu'ran burning this September 11th! How can they hate us if we show that we didn't even watch it! We can do one simple thing. Stick our heads in the sand.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs639.snc4/59964_1390564126736_1311090165_30985258_7298766_n. jpg

God. I hope South Park makes another episode over this.

idirtify
09-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I’m not up on the insulting or threatening things Terry Jones has said and wrote about Muslims in the past (if anything), but let’s separate them for the moment. I’m not sure that just hating a RELIGION or burning its books is prejudicial or discriminatory or in violation of any principles of libertarianism or individual liberty, or a reflection of any kind of initiated aggression.

It seems that this present hysteria is symptomatic of an age old misperception; that an attack on a religion is an attack on its believers. It’s not. Religion and books are only messages; and disagreeing with them does not qualify as any kind of aggression that I can think of. I know book-burning and religion-bashing have gotten bad raps in the past, but I’m not sure I understand why as long as it’s all voluntary and no aggression is involved.

All the players seem to be under the fallacy that all manner of insults and aggression are justified reactions for the acts of criticizing a religion. It’s very important for people (especially religious people) to make this distinction, and to separate the people from the messages. Countless battles have been caused by the confusion/misperception.

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
It would be alright if Iran did not get a nuclear weapon .It would be alright if India and Pakistan did not have nuclear weapons . I do not trust anybody with one except me .:)

Probably how Iran feels about the US and Israel having them...

Yeah, it would be nice if no one had them. Can't put that genie back in the bottle. Luckily the MAD theory is still working.

Vessol
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
So I shared my view that I think that someone should be allowed to do whatever they want with property they own.

What completely blew my MIND. Is that I was ATTACKED by my Leftist friends. They told me that someone can not practice their rights if it "hate speech" and puts others "in danger". One person even said that they hoped that the ACLU sued the man. What I couldn't understand is that these were the very same people who sided with me when I defended the construction of the mosque in NYC on the basis of property rights.

WTF!?

idirtify
09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
So I shared my view that I think that someone should be allowed to do whatever they want with property they own.

What completely blew my MIND. Is that I was ATTACKED by my Leftist friends. They told me that someone can not practice their rights if it "hate speech" and puts others "in danger". One person even said that they hoped that the ACLU sued the man. What I couldn't understand is that these were the very same people who sided with me when I defended the construction of the mosque in NYC on the basis of property rights.

WTF!?

Tell them that “hate speech” is only a way people try to discredit a disagreement they disagree with. Tell them that technically all disagreements are “hate speech”, including their own present disagreement. Tell them it’s not the “speecher” who is putting others in danger; it’s the over-reactors to the “speecher”.

BlackTerrel
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM

This is news because the media was looking to paint the nation as a bunch of Muslim-hating crazies. A 50-person congregation does not a nation make. This guy is a scam artist, and everyone's falling for it.

Exactly this. Since the "Ground Zero Mosque" controversy (which I agree is stupid) the narrative is that we are all evil Islamophobes.

Same reason the Muslim cabbie who was stabbed in NYC and the Mosque arson got so much press. Even while other hate crimes and Church arsons were ignored.

MelissaWV
09-10-2010, 09:26 AM

It seems that this present hysteria is symptomatic of an age old misperception; that an attack on a religion is an attack on its believers. It’s not. Religion and books are only messages; and disagreeing with them does not qualify as any kind of aggression that I can think of. I know book-burning and religion-bashing have gotten bad raps in the past, but I’m not sure I understand why as long as it’s all voluntary and no aggression is involved.

Which is why those big signs that have been on the front lawn for many months saying "ISLAM IS OF THE DEVIL" are there... right? :p

WTF!?

The only people who would have been in any danger from this are the residents of Mile Run/Rosemont/etc. who would be the victims of poor planning and a most unfortunate situation if an open bonfire got out of hand at that location. Now the people in Afghanistan and Iraq are "in harm's way"? What were they before this event became public? It was a peaceful neighborhood? Pffbt! They're "in harm's way" by being there, dammit! Why don't people see this? :mad:

idirtify
09-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by idirtify

Which is why those big signs that have been on the front lawn for many months saying "ISLAM IS OF THE DEVIL" are there... right? :p

Yes (I think). (Not exactly sure of your point. Are you talking about Jones’s lawn?) Claiming that Islam is of the devil is actually just a way to disagree with it. That’s also the title of his book.

MelissaWV
09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes (I think). (Not exactly sure of your point. Are you talking about Jones’s lawn?) Claiming that Islam is of the devil is actually just a way to disagree with it. That’s also the title of his book.

Jones is pretty much anti-Islam in any way you could think of, but you have hit on something most folks are missing. It IS the title of his book. The signs on his lawn, and throughout the city, and the phrase being on tee shirts... man oh man if only Dr. Paul could have the positive version of this marketing tactic :D

His anti-____ (there are other things, but the media hasn't picked up on them because they aren't as topical at the moment) stances, though, are nowhere near as strong as his pro-self/pro-money stances.

If you don't mind reading some really strange stuff, you could swing by their website. They have lots of interesting little blogs and articles that illuminate what's going on here.

You know that crazy lady down the street? The one with all the cats and who never wears anything but big housecoats? Imagine if she got on international television because she was going to do something kooky (but not unprecedented) and that your entire town and even, to some extent, your state was going to be known by that for awhile. That's what's going on here. The dude is nuts, he has a few dozen nuts that follow him, and he's going to do something nutty and gain publicity and fame and money from it. In a quirky way, that's the American way. :(

idirtify
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Jones is pretty much anti-Islam in any way you could think of, but you have hit on something most folks are missing. It IS the title of his book. The signs on his lawn, and throughout the city, and the phrase being on tee shirts... man oh man if only Dr. Paul could have the positive version of this marketing tactic :D

His anti-____ (there are other things, but the media hasn't picked up on them because they aren't as topical at the moment) stances, though, are nowhere near as strong as his pro-self/pro-money stances.

If you don't mind reading some really strange stuff, you could swing by their website. They have lots of interesting little blogs and articles that illuminate what's going on here.

You know that crazy lady down the street? The one with all the cats and who never wears anything but big housecoats? Imagine if she got on international television because she was going to do something kooky (but not unprecedented) and that your entire town and even, to some extent, your state was going to be known by that for awhile. That's what's going on here. The dude is nuts, he has a few dozen nuts that follow him, and he's going to do something nutty and gain publicity and fame and money from it. In a quirky way, that's the American way. :(

I gotta say, the more I hear about this guy and the more I think about it, the more I like him. I just wish the next time he goes on TV he would pronounce “Imam” right (he kept saying “IMAN”). I mean in comparison to all the other parties getting involved (pressy, MSM, top general, FBI, Imams), he may actually be the least stupid (or at least the most libertarian).

I’ll check out that website.

idirtify
09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
apparently the site was taken down today

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0910/Dove-World-Terry-Jones-site-pulled-down-by-Web-hosting-company
Dove World, Terry Jones site pulled down by Web hosting company

Vessol
09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
What did he violate I wonder?

MelissaWV
09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
apparently the site was taken down today

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0910/Dove-World-Terry-Jones-site-pulled-down-by-Web-hosting-company
Dove World, Terry Jones site pulled down by Web hosting company

Bleh. Now I wish I'd pasted the entire "We're Blessed Because We Love Israel" portion. It'll be back, I'm sure. Well, for amusement there's always the "reviews" for his book on Amazon.

You can like the guy all you want, btw. Other than some minor defacing of the signs, this wasn't even really much news until it exploded recently (oddly enough, just after his book was published!). He was denied his permit because he lied on the application, but you have to wonder why he bothered even applying for a permit. He could have done a barrel-burn without one, and since it would have been just the 30-50 of them and whatever books they could afford *shrugs* He is kooky and the neighborhood would love to see the damned place sold, maybe turned into more pine land or just left as a nice big open field for folks to picnic on.

Update: Oh, hey, hurray for Google caching something:

Islam is Cursed by Cursing Israel; we are Blessed by Blessing Israel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Fran Ingram - Posted on 01 September 2010

We may be a small church, but we have broad knowledge of the International scene and a deep faith in the Word of God. At this time in America’s history, America needs “Islam is of the Devil.” It does not need to bless Islam. President Obama and his Administration bring a curse on America if they turn on Israel.

A common question we get from Moslems: why don’t you have a sign that says “Jews are of the devil”? First of all, we do not say “Moslems are of the devil.” We do not hate Moslems (or anyone) or wish them harm. Rather, we say “Islam is of the devil” because the teachings of Islam and what that produces in lies, violence and oppression are of the devil. We hope and pray that Moslems will come out of Islam and become Christians.

If Jews deny that Jesus Christ was the Messiah, the Savior of the World, then their beliefs are also of the devil, in the sense that they will not be saved. However, there is much more hope for the teachings of Judaism leading people to a belief in Christ, since they are pointed constantly to the hope of the Messiah, than for the followers of Mohammad. Moslems are trained from birth with repetitions of prayers and Koranic verses that breed hatred for both Jews and Christians, and their teachings, a stronghold of hatred, fear and violence, even when they do not understand the words they say.

Both Jewish and Christian teaching have no parallel to the teachings of lies, violence and oppression of Islam. Judaism is not anti-Christian. Also, all of the teachings of the Old Testament, the history, the Patriarchs, the Prophets, the people of Israel, the land are precious to us as Christians.

Most of us have lived in Europe or have immigrated from Europe. Our parents and grandparents lived and fought through the Second World War, on both sides. We are horrified that Europe cannot see the looming danger of Islam as the new Nazism of these times. It is tragic that Christians in Europe are full of apathy and fear, not even living and proclaiming their own faith, let alone confronting the strongholds of Islam, liberalism, humanism and intellectualism.

And why does Europe not support Israel as the United States does? Europe has lost the blessing of God because of this, because of its rejection of the Word of God, the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. America’s political leaders must not follow this path, yet we are in critical times for America too. The Obama Administration is following Europe’s agenda and is winning the blessings of Europe for their efforts. America does not need the blessings of Europe. America needs the blessing of God. America must not follow President Obama's lead.

Take it as you'd like :p Though there are no signs, it appears that the Jewish faith is also of the devil, as is most of Europe, but those probably didn't make as cool a sign or tee shirt ;)

idirtify
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Take it as you'd like :p Though there are no signs, it appears that the Jewish faith is also of the devil, as is most of Europe, but those probably didn't make as cool a sign or tee shirt ;)

Ok, it’s confirmed; there’s no way he’s the smartest animal in the zoo. But at least he was libertarian enough to keep the religious message separate from the religious people.