PDA

View Full Version : November 5th Fundraising Drive

Brinck Slattery
10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey all, I just spoke to a few people (anecdotal, I know) and I think the whole November 5 fundraising drive is a REALLY TERRIBLE idea. It might make more sense to do November 4th (1 year to election day) or October 30 ("Play a 'trick' on the other campaigns, give Ron Paul a treat").

But associating Ron Paul with violent domestic terrorists like Guy Fawkes (or V from V for Vendetta, or whatever) is exactly what we DON'T want to do just as he is coming into the media spotlight. Remember how the left tied the whole Republican class of '94 to the Oklahoma City bombings, and violent militia groups? Nothing unraveled and neutered their government-dismantling plans more quickly than that.

It's great to be enthusiastic and passionate, but I would strongly recommend reconsidering this fundraising drive. It's not in the best interests of the campaign, and it will only serve to marginalize Dr. Paul and his supporters at a time when we need to be taken seriously.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
You can't stop an avalanche by holding up your hand. Its going to happen, and the videos are already out, so just roll with it and we'll play it off as best we can.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey all, I just spoke to a few people (anecdotal, I know) and I think the whole November 5 fundraising drive is a REALLY TERRIBLE idea. It might make more sense to do November 4th (1 year to election day) or October 30 ("Play a 'trick' on the other campaigns, give Ron Paul a treat").

But associating Ron Paul with violent domestic terrorists like Guy Fawkes (or V from V for Vendetta, or whatever) is exactly what we DON'T want to do just as he is coming into the media spotlight. Remember how the left tied the whole Republican class of '94 to the Oklahoma City bombings, and violent militia groups? Nothing unraveled and neutered their government-dismantling plans more quickly than that.

It's great to be enthusiastic and passionate, but I would strongly recommend reconsidering this fundraising drive. It's not in the best interests of the campaign, and it will only serve to marginalize Dr. Paul and his supporters at a time when we need to be taken seriously.

Agreed. Associating Paul with V or Guy Fawkes is plain out Retarded. Grow up.

davidhperry
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I see your point. What if we have it on Nov. 5th but we don't associate it with anything else?

RonPaulFever
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
uh......it's a movie.

Brinck Slattery
10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I mean, keep the date but drop the associations. It'll be nothing but bad publicity.

Also, I realize it's a movie. I really liked the movie Michael Collins about the IRA - but I wouldn't want to publicly associate the Paul campaign with it. Movies and cultural motifs carry a lot of cache in a lot of people's minds, and if they start playing Ron Paul speeches over V for Vendetta video on the evening news it will seriously turn off Joe and Jane America.

me3
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Ron Paul himself has admitted that some anarchists show up to his rallies, this really isn't that big a deal. The MSM can't be bothered to go into depth on any real topic, are we paranoid that they are suddenly going to educate millions of Americans on Guy Fawkes Day?

mavtek
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
It's a movie...................

Uh.............

davidhperry
10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I mean, keep the date but drop the associations. It'll be nothing but bad publicity.

I think that's what people are basically doing anyway. I see people getting excited about because it's a coordinated action that could send a message - if enough people participate. I don't think the majority of folks who are going to do are doing so because of any movie.

FrankRep
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
People are going to Donate $100 on Nov. 5.

You can't stop them.

Brinck Slattery
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Haha I don't want to stop anyone from donating money! I was just a little alarmed by one of the other threads suggesting that people wear "V" masks, etc. and didn't realize the amount of momentum that's already behind this drive. Well, proceed! But please, please, please don't wear V masks or build a Guy Fawkes effigy and dress it up or whatever else anyone's planning to do that will make us look particularly loony.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey, I like V for Vendetta, and if people give money on the 5th or any other date that is great.

But we are trying to get Ron Paul elected. Associating him Paul or supporters with violent revolutionaries or a violent movie is NOT the way to get him elected.

Look at my quote in my sig. I am not some person who just wants to sit back and watch our government become a fascist state. However, associating Paul with violent revolutionaries doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Haha I don't want to stop anyone from donating money! I was just a little alarmed by one of the other threads suggesting that people wear "V" masks, etc. and didn't realize the amount of momentum that's already behind this drive. Well, proceed! But please, please, please don't wear V masks or build a Guy Fawkes effigy and dress it up or whatever else anyone's planning to do that will make us look particularly loony.
Not on October 31st it won't. Print up some flyers and get to it! ;)

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Exactly.

In England they BURN THE GUY FAWKES effigy. Guy Fawkes is viewed traditionally as a bad guy.

FrankRep
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Exactly.

In England they BURN THE GUY FAWKES effigy. Guy Fawkes is viewed traditionally as a bad guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

Fawkes was ranked 30th in the 2002 list of "100 Greatest Britons", sponsored by the BBC and voted for by the public. He was also included in a list of the 50 greatest people from Yorkshire.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Even still you don't want to associate Ron Paul or his supporters with blowing shit up. It is just a bad idea.

kylejack
10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Even still you don't want to associate Ron Paul or his supporters with blowing shit up. It is just a bad idea.
So you're going to stand in front of a cement truck and hold out your hand expecting it to stop? Look, this is going to happen. There's too much momentum to stop it. There's nothing that can be done about it now. So let's just roll with it and play it off as best we can. The official campaign has nothing to do with it, so blowback will be minimal.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
So you're going to stand in front of a cement truck and hold out your hand expecting it to stop? Look, this is going to happen. There's too much momentum to stop it. There's nothing that can be done about it now. So let's just roll with it and play it off as best we can. The official campaign has nothing to do with it, so blowback will be minimal.

The YouTube vids for this only have about 6,500 views each thankfully and this stupid idea doesn't seem like it will go to far. It isn't the cement truck you think it is.

That's all we need, getting Ron Paul supporters associated with blowing things up.

I hope Paul makes a ton of money each and every day including 11/5, but I hope this stupid idea of associating him with V for Vendetta goes nowhere. It is just as stupid as Rudy supporters donating $9.11

kylejack
10-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, keep it up with your Forum Warrior persona. I'm sure that will stop this horrible injustice.

Brinck Slattery
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I actually really like the Halloween party idea. Then people can dress however they like and no repercussions. I know they're doing a big party at the NYC HQ for Halloween, maybe I could promote this idea... Flyer making time!!!