PDA

View Full Version : don't you dare cut our precious sales tax!

lester1/2jr
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
You guys out in the heartland have no idea what its like here in colonial massachusetts sometimes

Also, as far as short term quick fixes is there any better idea to stimulate spending than to actually lower prices via sales tax reduction?

http://bit.ly/bcCIY4

Question 3? Answer is no
By Yvonne Abraham
Globe Columnist / September 9, 2010

Here’s a rare find: an issue on which all four candidates for governor — and three treasurer hopefuls — agree.

Tweet 8 people Tweeted thisSubmit to DiggdiggsdiggYahoo! Buzz ShareThis Slashing the sales tax from 6.25 percent to 3 percent is a very bad idea, they all say. And they’re right.

What’s scary is who is not part of this group hug: the public. A State House News Service poll this week found that 54 percent of voters surveyed favor the rollback.

That’s one whopping disconnect.

Leading the charge for the disaster known as Question 3, to appear on November’s ballot, is professional irritant Carla Howell and an army of mad-as-hell small-government types. They’re using the same daffy logic they deployed in their 2008 attempt to do away with the state income tax.

Government wastes huge amounts of our money, they say. Their evidence: a 2008 survey showing voters believe government wastes huge amounts of our money — 41 cents on every dollar, to be precise, according to a randomly-selected group of 500 voters asked to pull figures out of the air.

Five hundred voters might declare I’m a millionaire. Sadly, that doesn’t make it so. Still, advocates use the silly 41 percent figure to argue that the $2.5 billion the rollback would pull from state coffers won’t hurt a bit.

For voters understandably angry about paying higher taxes during hard times, it’s a seductive argument. Especially when lawmakers do a lousy job of making clear what we get in return for our taxes — and tolerate some government waste.

But the rollback would hurt. A lot.

Even if the economy begins to recover, Massachusetts will still face a massive budget shortfall of at least $2 billion next fiscal year, says Mike Widmer, president of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation

Icymudpuppy
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM
You think you have it bad...

Washington state sales tax is 6.5% but every county and city adds to it, and most of our populated municipalities jack it up to 10% in Seattle and the surrounding Metropolitan areas.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Howell's efforts came within 2 percentage points of repealing the Massachusetts' state income tax.

I'd love to see this pass, if for nothing more than to give the parasite and ruling class fits.

Seraphim
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
You think you have it bad...

Washington state sales tax is 7.7% and most of our populated municipalities jack it up to 10% in Seattle and the surrounding Metropolitan areas.

13% here. Used to be 15%

Anti Federalist
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Slashing the sales tax from 6.25 percent to 3 percent is a very bad idea, they all say. And they’re right.

What’s scary is who is not part of this group hug: the public. A State House News Service poll this week found that 54 percent of voters surveyed favor the rollback.

Ohhhh, that scary public again.

Damn fool mundanes, when will they learn that the anointed know best?

Icymudpuppy
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
13% here. Used to be 15%

Where the heck are you? Europe?

According to everything I've read, Chicago is the highest in the US, at 10.25%

Seraphim
09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Where the heck are you? Europe?

According to everything I've read, Chicago is the highest in the US, at 10.25%

Ontario Canada.

Sales taxes in Alberta are a lot lower (all that oil)...I wish it were like that here.

When I was in Alberta I bought a laptop and the price came out to nearly what the actually label said and I was like whatttttt..:D! lol

Danke
09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Yvonne Abraham? Who dat?

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
8.9% in Spokane, WA. I thought we were at the state level :confused:

Icymudpuppy
09-09-2010, 12:05 PM
8.9% in Spokane, WA. I thought we were at the state level :confused:

Spokane city...
State Rate .065, Local rate including county and city .022 total = .087 (8.7%) according to the July 2010 Quarterly Dept of Revenue Sales and Use tax Rates and Changes document sent to all businesses.

www.dor.wa.gov. As a home service business which operates in multiple cities, I have to keep the whole 5 page document in each of my trucks so our techs can total the correct amount. It's quite silly.

All of Skamania County, and Unincorporated areas of Klickitat County are the lowest state wide with a local rate of only .005 for a total of 7.0%

Anti Federalist
09-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Ummm, zero, here.

Seraphim
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Ummm, zero, here.

Please drown in a vat of acid....

:p

lester1/2jr
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
anke - she writes on local issues you wouldfn't know her unless you read the globe.

love this comment

Although I would agree that requiring a rollback in the state's 6.25% sales tax will throw a giant monkey wrench into the machinery of governing the commonwealth, the machinery needs a giant monkey wrench.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Ummm, state income tax rate? Also a big goose egg. Zero. Nada.

Whoo hoo hooo

Danke
09-09-2010, 12:19 PM

I think we would all rather see him go out smothered under one of his Walmart gals.

oyarde
09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
13% here. Used to be 15%

Canada ?

Seraphim
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Ummm, state income tax rate? Also a big goose egg. Zero. Nada.

Whoo hoo hooo

Where are you at?

To OyARDE: yes Canada.

Vessol
09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I think Anti-Fed lives in Oregon, I'm no sure though.

I used to live in Montana and then moved to North Carolina. It used to really confuse me when I bought stuff at stores and ended up paying much extra but I've gotten used to it now.

I remember when I was younger and my class visited Yellowstone Park, which has a sales tax. The place we ended up eating felt bad for all of us little kids who brought money enough for food, but not for taxes. They shaved off the taxes and covered it themselves because they rocked, I remember asking my teacher why I had to pay extra money when I already gave more money. Questioning taxation from the age of 8 ^_^, child libertarians unite!

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I think Anti-Fed lives in Oregon, I'm no sure though.

uhh... NH is the no income, no sales tax state and I think it's funny as hell how many people cross the border from other states to purchase goods tax free. Yes thank you for spending your money in NH to help out the NH economy. Now please leave and go back to bitching about how f***** up your own state is. Please go bitch to your neighbors how underfunded the schools are after you just bought a new 60" tv in NH tax free.

Seraphim
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
uhh... NH is the no income, no sales tax state and I think it's funny as hell how many people cross the border from other states to purchase goods tax free. Yes thank you for spending your money in NH to help out the NH economy. Now please leave and go back to bitching about how f***** up your own state is. Please go bitch to your neighbors how underfunded the schools are after you just bought a new 60" tv in NH tax free.

New Hampshire just flew onto my radar for places to live.

Vessol
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM

States with no state income tax: Alaska, Washington, New Hampshire Texas, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota and Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

States with no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire(besides on prepared food), and Oregon(same as NH),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

lester1/2jr
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
look at all those third world hellholes. they are basically living in the stone age

KCIndy
09-09-2010, 04:26 PM
States with no state income tax: Alaska, Washington, New Hampshire Texas, Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota and Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

States with no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire(besides on prepared food), and Oregon(same as NH),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

BUT... BUT... BUT.... How would we fund the government if the state isn't collecting any taxes from the people???

(Yes, this is *sarcasm* but it's also the first question I get from a lot of people when I start talking about eliminating income and sales taxes. Amazing how many people think that way.)