PDA

View Full Version : Men Tips # 3 - How to Dress Professionally

AlexMerced
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
YouTube - Men Tips # 3 - How to Dress Professionally (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJqwtydKHKk)

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I only watched about a third of this before I had to VOMIT!!

I shed the standard business costume a few years ago. and grew out my hair....

This is incredibly PRETENTIOUS!

If you have skills, tallent, knowledge or ability - you will be hired despite what you look like!

If your employer likes to wear cashmere coats or pinky rings - - or even tan indications of a pinky ring - RUN AWAY! MAFIA and you are about to get used and ripped off!

Business meetings with guys in Hawaiian shirts are bad too...

I used to wear blazers, ties, chackies(sp?), short hair - I do not play that game any more.

"trust me with your $$$ because I look good is BULL SHIT! - Expect to get RIPPED OFFf!

This advice is BULLSHIT!

IGNORE IT!

-t

bkreigh
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
How a video on organization. You can start by the stacks of crap on top of the bookshelves.

BTW this stuff is more comfortable

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EoXU9YCKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kjyfeFomL._SL500_SX300_SY390_CR,0,0,300,390_.jpg
http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/2/4/1248625-p-DETAILED.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
How a video on organization. You can start by the stacks of crap on top of the bookshelves.

HU?

forsmant
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Hahahaa

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
alex - you are either very naive or one of the creeps I totally AVOID! I suspect the later.

Goodby!

-t

kahless
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Mens Tip #4: When creating a personal appearance video be sure your on-screen surrounding do not look like a pigs stye.

Besides that, pretty much on target. Suspenders are not necessary.

AlexMerced
09-08-2010, 09:07 PM
alex - you are either very naive or one of the creeps I totally AVOID! I suspect the later.

Goodby!

-t

I'm no creep, I'm not at all characteristic of a wall street type. Although, I do apprecaite the intracacies of communication.

My room is clean, I just have no where to put those clothes... I just have too much and am not willing to get rid of them.

JoshLowry
09-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Goodby!

-t

Easy on the personal attacks.

Thanks for the video Alex. General Politics might not be the best forum.

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm no creep, I'm not at all characteristic of a wall street type. Although, I do apprecaite the intracacies of communication.

My room is clean, I just have no where to put those clothes... I just have too much and am not willing to get rid of them.

OK - maybe I went too hard on you - just bad experiences...

Your vid struck some cords...

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Easy on the personal attacks.

Thanks for the video Alex. General Politics might not be the best forum.

OK - just personal experience....

BAD personal experience...

Sorry...

I apologize...

-t

AlexMerced
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
It's all good, I'm pretty peaceful and peaceloving, so all good

low preference guy
09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
lol!

Alex is becoming MattCollinesque!

kahless
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM

It just looks disorganized which detracts from anything you are saying. Maybe move the camera and try shooting with just a wall behind you.

AlexMerced
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
lol!

Alex is becoming MattCollinesque!

In what sense? If it's about the suit thing, I've worked in the finance industry as a corporate trainer for couple of years now, the outfit comes with territory.

I like to believe my efforts libertarianizing people on wall street helped make fox business more libertarian... (probably not, since most of the people are teach are entry level)

LibertyEagle
09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Actually, I think Alex is pretty much right. It's important to dress well, especially for interviews. Even if after the fact, the company doesn't require you to dress so formally. Interviews are totally different things.

And since Alex is a corporate trainer for the financial industry, he needs to dress at least as well as his audience. For the financial industry, that means serious suits.

Note: Kahless is right. You take away from your video with the clutter all around you.

Inkblots
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Sound advice. I think Ron Paul supporters will make more headway at Party meetings and caucuses in 2012 if our activists show up in a few more blue suits and with a few less ponytails ;)

libertybrewcity
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Mens Tip #4: When creating a personal appearance video be sure your on-screen surrounding do not look like a pigs stye.

Besides that, pretty much on target. Suspenders are not necessary.

lol, yea. agreed.

roho76
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
It just looks disorganized which detracts from anything you are saying. Maybe move the camera and try shooting with just a wall behind you.

Actually, I think Alex is pretty much right. It's important to dress well, especially for interviews. Even if after the fact, the company doesn't require you to dress so formally. Interviews are totally different things.

And since Alex is a corporate trainer for the financial industry, he needs to dress at least as well as his audience. For the financial industry, that means serious suits.

Note: Kahless is right. You take away from your video with the clutter all around you.

I agree. Your videos are very informative but you need a bare wall behind you. Your videos leave much to be desired and not from lack of information.

specsaregood
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
//

ClayTrainor
09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
90% of the time when I'm working I am standing at my desk clothed in a pair of flipflops and hanes underwear and tshirt. The other 10% of the time I have a pair of shorts on because I had to answer the door or take the trash to the curb. Love telecommuting and being self employed....

haha yea, +1.

Being self-employed is awesome! :D

Bruno
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Alex, maybe put up a curtain behind you, if you don't have room to store that distraction. Or totes. Lots of totes. At least move the cup. Look at your surroundings, like you do your clothes that you wear, as you open yourself up to the world on youtube. What image do you want to present besides your suit?

Your video seems to me that you are just winging it on the topic. Consider working on your main three points in advance, and then you can still talk extemporaneously. You might find that your presentations are more focused and succinct.

And this probably belongs in Off Topic. :)

low preference guy
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Look at your surroundings, like you do your clothes that you wear, as you open yourself up to the world on youtube. What image do you want to present besides your suit?

what would a potential employer that sees one of Alex's videos do? he would probably think that since Alex cannot take care of his own image, he won't care about the image of the company.

Matt Collins
09-08-2010, 10:56 PM
If you want to look good, just hang around me, it'll eventually rub off on you. :p

Bruno
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
If you want to look good, just hang around me, it'll eventually rub off on you. :p

dude...:rolleyes: :p

Though we shall one toady meet and it will be my honor to meet the Collins. :)

james1906
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Alex will now be known as Don Draper.

Alex, I told you after watching the last video of yours I watched to take that damn bladder buster off camera. It's still there! Don't tell me that thing's festering in mold.

BamaFanNKy
09-08-2010, 11:29 PM

I always keep shorter less attractive people around me so, I agree. Hang around Matt. :D

My fashion tip:
http://www.cloggs.co.uk/content/ebiz/cloggs/invt/5178/5178-base-london-tee-brown-m.jpg

Slip on shoes. Saves you the one sit up you might get in accidentally during the day.

Matt Collins
09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
dude...:rolleyes: :p

Though we shall one toady meet and it will be my honor to meet the Collins. :)
Come to KY in October and the first 2 days in November and you'll get your chance to bow down and worship the Aqua Buddha :p

james1906
09-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Slip on shoes never look professional

AlexMerced
09-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Slip on shoes never look professional

Burgundy Wing Tipped Loafers arn't so bad, but it's sure hard to find classy slip ons for the old school crowd

Bladder Buster Removed

brandon
09-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Had my first meeting with the executive board of my $2 billion parent company yesterday. Not one of us wore a suit.

MelissaWV
09-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Had my first meeting with the executive board of my $2 billion parent company yesterday. Not one of us wore a suit.

Which points out what's really important about dressing professionally: know your audience.

Using the example of political events, consider whether or not you would take a slimjim from someone in a tee shirt, shorts, and flipflops. No? How about if you're in a beachside area, and some dude in a suit (probably sweating like a pig) comes up and tries to hand you a slimjim? :p This means that when you're at an event like the GOP State Convention, you wear at least a dress shirt and tie and slacks/khakis. When you're just handing out materials, dress in a way that makes sense for your environment and which will be comfortable.

When you are interviewing for a position, dressing up shows you care a great deal about whether or not you get the job ... to a certain extent. Again, if you are interviewing for a manual labor position, you might want to give more care to whether or not you look like you can do the job than whether or not you look awesome in a suit. Something clean, well-pressed, etc., doesn't hurt... but work boots would not be uncalled-for. I mean, you're probably interviewing at a trailer on the site. If the interviewer gives you a tour of the site, will you be able to follow in those nice shiny dress shoes, or will you look foolish? Likewise if a lady is interviewing to be the receptionist at a plant nursery and shoes up in spiked heels, will she be able to take a spin around the grounds without sinking or tripping? :p

A lot of offices are caring less and less about ties, couldn't be bothered to ask for their employees to wear coats, and understand that workers with sore feet don't really do things as efficiently.

pcosmar
09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Which points out what's really important about dressing professionally: know your audience.

Using the example of political events, consider whether or not you would take a slimjim from someone in a tee shirt, shorts, and flipflops. No? How about if you're in a beachside area, and some dude in a suit (probably sweating like a pig) comes up and tries to hand you a slimjim? :p This means that when you're at an event like the GOP State Convention, you wear at least a dress shirt and tie and slacks/khakis. When you're just handing out materials, dress in a way that makes sense for your environment and which will be comfortable.

When you are interviewing for a position, dressing up shows you care a great deal about whether or not you get the job ... to a certain extent. Again, if you are interviewing for a manual labor position, you might want to give more care to whether or not you look like you can do the job than whether or not you look awesome in a suit. Something clean, well-pressed, etc., doesn't hurt... but work boots would not be uncalled-for. I mean, you're probably interviewing at a trailer on the site. If the interviewer gives you a tour of the site, will you be able to follow in those nice shiny dress shoes, or will you look foolish? Likewise if a lady is interviewing to be the receptionist at a plant nursery and shoes up in spiked heels, will she be able to take a spin around the grounds without sinking or tripping? :p

A lot of offices are caring less and less about ties, couldn't be bothered to ask for their employees to wear coats, and understand that workers with sore feet don't really do things as efficiently.

Ding, ding, Ding !

My appearance is highly changeable. As a rule, suits are not my thing, but I do own a couple.
As far as my "profession' goes. Suits won't get it or impress.
MelissaWV is absolutely right, it depends on both the environment and the audience.

Cowlesy
09-09-2010, 08:00 AM

I don't know where you got that avatar but that is awesome.

MelissaWV
09-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't know where you got that avatar but that is awesome.

It is from the lolmatts thread. If you haven't been there, you should. Just... don't eat heavily beforehand?

muzzled dogg
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
+1 on the carhartts

Dreamofunity
09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

This. The clothing fits to the message, but the background doesn't.

AlexMerced
09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, wait till you see my next video, muahahahaha