PDA

View Full Version : Best technology for campaign

nayjevin
09-08-2010, 03:50 PM
What are the valuable tools this time around? Choose as many as you like.

Please explain 'other'.

in no particular order. not mentioned: nationwide mailings, newspaper ads, letters to the editor, diaspora or alternatives, a pencil, probably lots more. what else?

jabf2006
09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
A pencil.

Edit: Oh its a poll...how come a pencil is not listed?

nayjevin
09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
A pencil.

Edit: Oh its a poll...how come a pencil is not listed?

Didn't think of it, but that's a good one. What will you do with a pencil?

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Server automation for group calendars, topically customized mailing lists, and a personalized web experience.

Thargok
09-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Nationwide mailings are very important.

Maximus
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I prefer an "all of the above" option

Ethek
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll call it now and say semantic Web connected supporters. Gunny hit on some of it. Might have to send my writeup that way for a critique. To all of the privacy ludites out there I say its the source of all information flow in the coming period. Control it before it controls you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web

"Between 2007-2010 several scholars have already explored first applications and the social potential of the semantic web in the business and health sectors, and for social networking [14] and even for the broader evolution of democracy, specifically, how a society forms its common will in a democratic manner through a semantic web[15]"

Forget Democracy, we need to instill a framework of limited constitutional gov, in the absence tradition will suffice, say with context to supporter efforts or web searches backed up by Mises

I'll let everyone know when its up and going.

eOs
09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Everything, full scale attack mode: ON

Ethek
09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Nationwide mailings are very important.

Yes they are :) No suprise you would know. I bet phone banking was a close second on your list.

GunnyFreedom
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I'll call it now and say semantic Web connected supporters. Gunny hit on some of it. Might have to send my writeup that way for a critique. To all of the privacy ludites out there I say its the source of all information flow in the coming period. Control it before it controls you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web)

"Between 2007-2010 several scholars have already explored first applications and the social potential of the semantic web in the business and health sectors, and for social networking [14] and even for the broader evolution of democracy, specifically, how a society forms its common will in a democratic manner through a semantic web[15]"

Forget Democracy, we need to instill a framework of limited constitutional gov, in the absence tradition will suffice, say with context to supporter efforts or web searches backed up by Mises

I'll let everyone know when its up and going.

Please, let us not allow this thought to get lost in the clutter. This will make a larger impact than most of us can imagine....

Austin
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Clipboard Canvassing should be at 100% right now. :D

Bergie Bergeron
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Prectinct leaders technology? :D

nayjevin
09-14-2010, 02:59 AM
Good ideas here... I'm getting an id-10-t error on the calendar server idea but let me know when I can click a little icon on my desktop to make ron president. :)

Any more votes/ideas?

nayjevin
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
bump

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Good ideas here... I'm getting an id-10-t error on the calendar server idea but let me know when I can click a little icon on my desktop to make ron president. :)

Any more votes/ideas?

Imagine every single RP activist in a given State having the full collaborative group calendar of grassroots events on their desktop, with say maybe one person per County able to add/update stuff on it, and it updates live on your desktop. You will be able to RSVP yes/no to any event, and the organizers will be able to gauge attendance. All anybody needs to see the calendar is a link. Organizers (about one per County) will simply need an account to update the group calendar.

JoshLowry
09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Imagine every single RP activist in a given State having the full collaborative group calendar of grassroots events on their desktop, with say maybe one person per County able to add/update stuff on it, and it updates live on your desktop. You will be able to RSVP yes/no to any event, and the organizers will be able to gauge attendance. All anybody needs to see the calendar is a link. Organizers (about one per County) will simply need an account to update the group calendar.

I've played around with this idea.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger.

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I've played around with this idea.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger.

I'm doing this now for my campaign, in a somewhat limited fashion (haven't set up MX hops on my domain, so the RSVP function doesn't work) from a server I installed in my home behind a dynamic DNS service. Talk about one of the most useful things I have ever done! There are three of us that can schedule events that get posted to the calendar, and it synchs with my phone, so now I am always on schedule. If you knew me, you'd be so deeply in shock (that I am now always on schedule) that you'd need an ambulance! :D

So yeah, I suggested this because it's probably the most useful piece of tech I am currently using in my campaign. By 2012, the CalDAV standard will be more widely established, and the sharelinks will be more universally accessible than they are right now. As it stands, for some reason only 90% of Windows 7 and 50% of Windows XP machines can pull up my calendar sharelink in MS Outlook. By 2011/2012 that will be a lot better I have no doubt, but then i am used to being on the bleeding edge of tech. It's where I am most comfortable. :D

tekkierich
09-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I just used google calendar. I was able to invite people and let them read, modify etc. Then we had a little web widget that would add public appointments to the campaign website.

That and grand central (now google voice) where the two most helpful portions of my campaign.

JoshLowry
09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Google wave might be decent.

I was thinking some type of desktop notification, but all of the solutions I found last time I dug into it were $$$$.

GunnyFreedom
09-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Google wave might be decent.

I was thinking some type of desktop notification, but all of the solutions I found last time I dug into it were $$$$.

Google Wave will be VERY useful if/when it comes into wider use. I was ridiculously hopeful when Google Wave came out, hoping that people without Wave accounts will be able to see your embedded content. Last I checked, you have to actually have a Wave account in order to see Wave content embedded into a web page, and Wave accounts have not yet propagated that widely as of yet.

JoshLowry
09-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Google Wave will be VERY useful if/when it comes into wider use. I was ridiculously hopeful when Google Wave came out, hoping that people without Wave accounts will be able to see your embedded content. Last I checked, you have to actually have a Wave account in order to see Wave content embedded into a web page, and Wave accounts have not yet propagated that widely as of yet.

You can do so with Google Docs.

I would be surprised if Wave did not have that functionality.

LibertyMage
09-22-2010, 06:32 AM
On the ground canvassing, personal networks, signs and television.

JeremyDahl
09-22-2010, 10:36 AM
I voted for flyers, because they are a great tool that allow you to do face to face and non-personal communication

HOWEVER, obviously direct mail communications are the best bang for your buck/volunteers, politically

Legend1104
09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
A money printing press.

DFF
09-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Billboards. Big ones that get your attention. In all major cities. In high visibility locations.

pacelli
09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Clipboard canvassing, radio, and TV. That is, if we want to improve upon the 2008 RP primary totals.

nayjevin
09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Billboards. Big ones that get your attention. In all major cities. In high visibility locations.

Canvassing and identifying folks who will host a yardsign can be very cost effective. We had meetups in Tulsa to make spraypaint / stencil signs and even painted plywood with 2x4 feet. Many Ron Paul supporters will own rural land - Iowa and elsewhere.