PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions

Imperial
09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I originally planned to join the Republican group at my college, but I found out that the organization has been in disarray for a couple of years and doesn't really exist anymore.

So, now I am wondering what to do. Two options I am tossing around are 1) restarting the GOP group or 2) starting a YAL chapter. So some pros and cons:

PRO
GOP:

There are some old members of the organization floating around campus, and I have a few names to start with. Having something to start from is helpful with new organizations.

Helpful later on: I do want to continue participating in Republican politics, and maybe jump-starting the local organization would be helpful with that goal in mind.

YAL:

It is YAL. Unlike working as a coalition-based GOP organization, I could engage with ideological bedfellows.

This is an extremely liberal campus. Engaging people from a libertarian standpoint here is often more effective than the stigma attached to the Republican Party name.

A strong YAL chapter not too terribly far away has offered to help with startup.

CON
GOP:

As mentioned above, many people are stigmatized to the Republican Party, so I am unsure if long-term growth would be stunted by this.

Largely being a coalition, taking unified action may be somewhat difficult.

YAL:

I don't know any libertarians yet on this campus. This would make recruiting very difficult; I am thinking maybe use the campus newspaper to test the water for potential recruits?

There is the potential of this being a coalition. In order to gain a bit more traction, I may focus on marketing some of it as a "liberaltarian" group- focusing on antiwar, drug issues, anti-corporatism. However, this also leaves the potential of some moderate statism involved.

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
YAL:

I don't know any libertarians yet on this campus. This would make recruiting very difficult; I am thinking maybe use the campus newspaper to test the water for potential recruits?

There is the potential of this being a coalition. In order to gain a bit more traction, I may focus on marketing some of it as a "liberaltarian" group- focusing on antiwar, drug issues, anti-corporatism. However, this also leaves the potential of some moderate statism involved.

Read this:
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=136861

Then Google:

site:facebook +"my college name" your list of keywords

then repeat for site:myspace
your list of keywords might be words like pot freedom "Ron Paul" libertarian constitution, YAL and so on.

only the first 10 search terms are processed. Phrases in double quotes are counted as one search term. Operators are not counted. If you use OR between search terms it will match any one or more. pot might land you gardeners, freedom is a pretty common word, etc. design your searches carefully and build up.

I believe the date operators format is date:DDMMYY-DDMMYY but I haven't used it in a while. If that doesn't work, google for the syntax. That should separate those that have graduated and and those probably still attending. consider if you are at a 2 year, 4 year or graduate program school - that will effect date ranges. You might want to search each range separately.

re-ordering the order of search terms will give you different results.

hope that helps,

-t

RedStripe
09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
YAL

Easy to start, lots of resources available, and you'll meet cool people.

tremendoustie
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Definitely YAL, zero doubt in my mind. Create an organization that's going to be a clear voice for good.

JamesButabi
09-08-2010, 10:15 AM
My vote is for YAL.

Imperial
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks tangent, i shall try that out. Any other opinions out there? I am going to talk to the ex-President of the GOP group and see what their take on the situation is too.

nayjevin
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
finding like minds seems first on the list for either choice... so i say once that is done find some consensus.

Maximus
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm sure your campus has avenues for tabling. Get yourself a good catchy sign and you'll meet liberty lovers and people interested for more in no time.

Go YAL

phill4paul
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Groucho Marx is quoted as saying...

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

I prefer to join as many as I can. If they'll have me then I know they are suspect.

There is not a club I have run across, that without a "contribution", I have not been welcomed as a member.

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks tangent, i shall try that out. Any other opinions out there? I am going to talk to the ex-President of the GOP group and see what their take on the situation is too.

you are welcome - hope it helps! as to site: things, yahoo groups and google groups are too. wikipedia has a list of maybe 100 - 150 social networking sites. also look into your schools forums and listserve. Listserve's usually have archives that you can request and search for keywords.

There are also some sites that archive listserve archives - look for them.

On and/or syntax google uses AND by default and OR explicit. More common is | for OR and & for AND, though sometimes it's || or &&.

Look for syntax guidelines on new sites. Some are very limited, some are robust. In some cases, not mentioned syntaxt works - HACK!

anyway, work it - you should find some like minds and after that it's HUMINT - work um and get to know their like minded friends.... You should have a workable network in no time!

Also get a list of your schools groups/clubs - you should be able to find some that might have friendly memebers - attend their meetings and identify them.

--t

sevin
09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
yal!!!

libertybrewcity
09-09-2010, 12:36 AM
I recommend starting a YAL chapter. It is not too hard to recruit people. Post fliers everywhere.

Call up the Conservative Leadership Institute. I became affiliated with them my freshman year when I was trying to start up a club. They ended up sending me to Austin, TX (i was in SF), to teach me how tabling and fundraising techniques. If my club would have succeeded they would have sent everyone in the club to similar conferences.

You can also get funding to bring speakers to campus, and they connect you with a lot of other helpful resources. I know other groups like the Students for Liberty (different from YAL and YAF) give grants for clubs and speakers as well.

I guess my only advice to you is have a plan for the semester. There is nothing worse than going to a club meeting and watching a disorganized 'leader' have nothing to say or do. People want structure, organization, and events.

Have ideas and goals. If you start a YAL chapter, you could have a goal of bringing Ron Paul to speak! That would be a major accomplishment, but it would take some work.

GL!

Kregisen
09-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Have ideas and goals. If you start a YAL chapter, you could have a goal of bringing Ron Paul to speak! That would be a major accomplishment, but it would take some work.

GL!

Some student groups (students for liberty, a republican group, maybe YAL?) brought Ron Paul to our campus last year, so it's entirely feasible to get him. (although last year was after the election....next year he might not go anywhere but Iowa)

Anyway, definitely go with YAL. College students are attracted to liberty much more than the republican party. (I wonder how parties will be 50 years from now....everything will be completely different)

TigerPrwn
09-09-2010, 01:20 AM
NEVER force yourself to make a decision if you are EVER in that position to actually convince yourself that you "need to make a decision".

IOW, DO BOTH. Pretty soon you will see who DESERVES your attention. NEVER be convinced that THEY are doing *YOU* a favor, UNDERSTAND, that *you* are doing THEM a favor.

I find that the process of elimination works best in times of indecision.

That said, as a member of YAL...
:D

RedStripe
09-09-2010, 04:51 AM
If you start a YAL group milk the Leadership Institute for as much of it's money as possible and use it to fund anti-war/imperialism events spotlighting the American foreign policy atrocities that occurred during Ronald Reagan's time as President.

Imperial
09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
A solution tossed itself into my lap today. Right when I was planning to get the process rolling on starting one or the other, I found a guy who is a Republican who already received the charter for the Republicans club to revive it and is meeting with the higher-ups to get the ball rolling.

That takes a load off of my back for having to single-handedly start an organization when I am already involved in a few other organizations. It also lets me test the water for what passes as Republican here. If I am disgusted with what I find, then I can always start a YAL chapter next semester or next year.

I guess my only advice to you is have a plan for the semester. There is nothing worse than going to a club meeting and watching a disorganized 'leader' have nothing to say or do. People want structure, organization, and events.

I understand this completely. My last year in high school I started a JSA chapter (see my sig) and had to work my ass off to get it off the ground and really accomplish things.

Thanks for the input guys! I still plan to pay my dues for YAL and attend events here or there. But a chapter will have to be in the future.

Dreamofunity
09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Just came back from a YAL meeting tonight. It's pretty badass, actually discussing the ideas of liberty in person. I don't think a simply Republican institution would be as interesting or as much fun.

speciallyblend
09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Yal come back now Yal hear!