PDA

View Full Version : Murkowski still thinking of running.

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Alaska's Murkowski: I Still Might Run

Says she's been besieged by supporters
By John Johnson

Posted Sep 7, 2010 7:23 PM CDT

http://www.newser.com/story/99994/alaskas-murkowski-i-still-might-run.html

(Newser) – "I'm not a quitter," said the famous female Alaska politician. No, not that one. This one, Lisa Murkowski, the senator done in by the other non-quitter. Murkowski, who conceded the GOP primary last week, now tells the AP she's not quitting the Senate race entirely and is exploring all manners of long-shot alternatives, including running as a write-in candidate or on a third-party ticket. "I'm still in this game."

She met briefly today with Libertarian candidate David Haase, even though party leaders earlier rejected the idea of her replacing him. He'd have to drop out by Sept. 15 to make it happen, and that still looks like a long shot, as does the prospect of a write-in winning. But Murkowski said supporters have besieged her, asking, "'What just happened in this election and what are we left with?' And that's why they are coming back to me, saying, 'Is there any other opportunity that you would consider?' So that's kind of where I am today."

Fozz
09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
She needs to step down and accept the fact that she lost, rather than taking the low road of Joe Lieberman and Charlie Crist.

MRoCkEd
09-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Drop out b****. It's Miller time.

brenden.b
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
"I'm not a quitter"

No, you may not be, but you are a loser, now step aside, the people have spoken. (Well, at least the Republican Party has spoken, so be a good Elephant and step aside)

I second that, it is Miller Time.

libertybrewcity
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Miller time! lol

she needs to give it up

erowe1
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
But Murkowski said supporters have besieged her, asking, "'What just happened in this election and what are we left with?'

Isn't the obvious answer that they should vote for the Democrat?

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 10:31 PM
She needs to step down and accept the fact that she lost, rather than taking the low road of Joe Lieberman and Charlie Crist.

Trouble is, to the ruling class, they don't consider that to be the "low road".

They are anointed, by divine right, to rule, and god damn a bunch of Mundanes who foul that up for them.

Therefore they will do whatever is necessary to continue to rule and continue their multi million dollar political careers.

TCE
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
She should just run in 2014 against Begich and spend all of that campaign money she failed to spend in the Primary. If she runs though, I expect her to at least mount amazing opposition considering her campaign war chest.

cindy25
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
she has a right to run. as did Lieberman and Crist.

3rd party candidates should be encouraged. I would not vote for Lieberman, Crist or Murkowski. was happy they lost/dropped out of their primaries.

but would you criticize Rand if he had lost his primary and ran Libertarian?

brenden.b
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
she has a right to run. as did Lieberman and Crist.

3rd party candidates should be encouraged. I would not vote for Lieberman, Crist or Murkowski. was happy they lost/dropped out of their primaries.

but would you criticize Rand if he had lost his primary and ran Libertarian?

You're comparing apples and oranges. Should we really encourage 3rd Party candidates who are statists all because they are a 3rd Party candidate? That doesn't make any more sense that just voting for the less of two evils. Trying to replace one statist party with another statist party is just dumb. Miller is a vast improvement over Murkowski, so yes I will do all that I can to discourage bad candidates from staying in the race. If Rand would have ran as 3rd Party, I would have supported it because he is a good candidate.

brenden.b
09-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Everything that I am reading this morning is sounding again like the Libertarian Party candidate is willing to sell out to allow Murkowski to take his place on the ballot. Literally, selling out for monetary "contributions" and being bought over by Murkowski supposed "reservations" about the Federal Reserve.

Read the article here:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41855.html

This is just getting ridiculous...

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
How does Murkowski think that she would fit into the Libertarian Party? She voted for TARP! She voted for the Iraq war. She backs the "war on drugs". What does she think qualifies her? Is she a "libertarian-Republican" that we somehow never knew about?

paulitics
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I have zero repect for the libertarian party. Never liked them honestly.

For anyone still naive enough to say the same rules of human nature do not apply to third parties, you have been proven false just by the mere notion that this is possible.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Even if Haase agrees to step down, there’s no guarantee that the state Libertarian Party would swap their nominee in favor of Murkowski on the ballot. The party’s executive committee announced on Aug. 30 — the day before Murkowski conceded to Miller — that it would not welcome Murkowski to its ticket even if she asked.

Nonetheless, Murkowski and Haase discussed the matter — and it appears the senator made some efforts to discuss some of her more Libertarian-leaning positions during the meeting.

Haase recalled that Murkowski told him that she has “reservations” about the Federal Reserve — a pet issue for the Libertarian nominee — and reminded him that she supported an amendment this year that would have called for an audit of the country’s central banking system.

Haase said that Murkowski did not offer any political or monetary support in exchange for his place on the ballot.

“She has some real reasons why she wants to be reelected, and it’s not for the title,” Haase said. “And I believe her. She’s a very strong and sincere lady, and she has some real reservations about the other candidates.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41855.html#ixzz0z3cRVw2m

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Haase recalled that Murkowski told him that she has “reservations” about the Federal Reserve — a pet issue for the Libertarian nominee — and reminded him that she supported an amendment this year that would have called for an audit of the country’s central banking system.

Sorry, supporting the watered down, fake audit of the Fed doesn't count.

Noob
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
The only good bill she put forward was to block the EPA from Carbon trading.

MRoCkEd
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
She's desperate. The LP should take advantage of her by forcing her give a press conference calling for an end to the overseas wars, drug war, and federal reserve in order for them to consider putting her on the ballot.