PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

Bruno
09-07-2010, 09:02 PM
The story in of itself is enough to make you mad. But then I read about the "Shotspotter" technology. Link and article below.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

About Shotspotter: http://www.shotspotter.com/solutions/index.html

ShotSpotter GLS solutions use acoustic sensors deployed over areas from one square mile up to hundreds of linear miles to locate gunfire and other violent threats within seconds. When an impulsive sound is detected within a ShotSpotter GLS coverage area, the system springs into action; accurately locating the incident (within 25 meters) and classifying the impulsive sound as a violent threat or an everyday sound (e.g. car backfire or firecracker). Detailed alert information, including actual audio recording clips, is quickly relayed to dispatch communications centers, command stations, and field-based vehicles. Alert information is geo-referenced and visually displayed by the ShotSpotter PSC user interface.

Detailed incident information is logged and stored into a database.Data includes a geo-reference location cross-referenced to a nearest street address. When multiple firearm rounds are discharged, detailed information even includes the direction and speed of shooters on the move (i.e., as in the case of “drive by” shootings”).

Incident audio information is captured and instantly accessible via the ShotSpotter PSC for risk and threat analysis. This data enables rapid assessment of the incident, its severity and risk to responders and the surrounding area. Aided with this immediate situational awareness, agency personnel can quickly and decisively dispatch the appropriate force response and emergency medical assistance to the exact and correct location.

KCIndy
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

Ohh.... where to begin?

First, that "Shotspotter" technology has been around for a while now, sadly. One more example of an over intrusive government, and one fantastic example of why I would never, never live in a city or area with really high population density. It's hard enough to keep the Feds from crawling up one's ass in rural areas.

Second - WTF???? The cops basically arrest the poor guy because the guy did the cops' jobs for them. The man was on his own property with a legally owned weapon which he fired into his own lawn in an attempt to scare off a couple dozen punks. And the police arrest him and try to tag him with reckless endangerment. Sickening, but typical.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

He should have just said he "confused a cell phone for a gun" like the police always do and he would have been in the clear.

Kludge
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Pretty sure charges will be dropped.

roho76
09-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Hopefully his wife and kids know how to protect themselves because you can guarantee those thugs will be back just to spite. That's what scares me the most.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Pretty sure charges will be dropped.

Unfortunately he still has to contend with the fact that at last count he had 25 gang members on his front lawn threatening him (according to the article).

Dude either has to:

1. Move

or

2. Send the wife and kids away, call some friends, arm himself and go into lockdown mode.

Stories like this piss me off for that reason. I think a lot of people don't realize how dangerous some neighborhoods in the US really are. Legit war zone. I look at where I live now and where I lived in the past and it's night and day. I feel for this guy and his family.

Kludge
09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately he still has to contend with the fact that at last count he had 25 gang members on his front lawn threatening him (according to the article).

Dude either has to:

1. Move

or

2. Send the wife and kids away, call some friends, arm himself and go into lockdown mode.

Stories like this piss me off for that reason. I think a lot of people don't realize how dangerous some neighborhoods in the US really are. Legit war zone. I look at where I live now and where I lived in the past and it's night and day. I feel for this guy and his family.

Is it cowardice to run away from one's home? I lived in some pretty shitty neighborhoods where you're constantly monitoring everyone around you while outside in a near-panic, and I'd say the city's pretty much never going to recover.

If this guy tries to defend himself, I suspect even more will come back for a vengeance kill. They may even just for this.

I absolutely think he should move - ASAP -- I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to object to such an action.

Promontorium
09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Wait, New York wants to claim they have gun laws, and they can legally own a gun that looks anything like- in fact actually be an AK-47?

We're over here on the west coast hoping to keep our empty muskets.

The Freethinker
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Pathetic liberal laws are another reason our great America is in the shape it's in. Laws protecting criminals and sending law-abiding citizens who proudly defend their homes and families to prison.

I salute this man!

And I bet you they were MS-13. MS-13 is a very dangerous gang and Uniondale is not a safe part of Nassau County in Long Island.

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Is it cowardice to run away from one's home? I lived in some pretty shitty neighborhoods where you're constantly monitoring everyone around you while outside in a near-panic, and I'd say the city's pretty much never going to recover.

If this guy tries to defend himself, I suspect even more will come back for a vengeance kill. They may even just for this.

I absolutely think he should move - ASAP -- I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to object to such an action.

I agree with BT here.

Go to the mattresses and the devil take hindmost.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Fuck anyone who would "object". It's his life and his family's life. No one else can make that decision.

He can either go to war or he can move. The former is possible if he is connected/armed/trained. More likely the latter is his only option.

It sucks man. If there was one area I'd be happy with government intervening and protecting it's situations like this. But they don't. They take out the bodies when it's over.

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Wait, New York wants to claim they have gun laws, and they can legally own a gun that looks anything like- in fact actually be an AK-47?

Unless it was a rifle possessed before 1994, it was not legal, or it was shitty reporting, as usual, by the firearms ignorant press, who wouldn't know an AK47 if you hit them with it.

It was Nassau county which does not have any of the onerous restrictions NY City does.

Here's the law in NY state.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Could have been a "faux" AK with a fixed magazine.

Toureg89
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
one reason not to live in the yankee north. and by yankee north, i mean, anything at or above north carolina. :p

fl.=legal to own an ak47, and legal to use it in defense against a forcible felony.

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
one reason not to live in the yankee north. and by yankee north, i mean, anything at or above north carolina. :p

fl.=legal to own an ak47, and legal to use it in defense against a forcible felony.

<<<<raspberries>>>

Northern New England - VT NH ME FTW in firearms.

I'll never again live in a place that air conditioning is necessity and not a luxury.

phill4paul
09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
I honestly don't even know where to begin on this story.

chudrockz
09-08-2010, 04:44 AM
The scenario presented to this poor guy is unlikely to happen to me, as I live in a small town on the outskirts. But if it did, and I had a couple dozen punks IN MY YARD telling me they were going to kill my baby, I'd use MY ak-47 and three 30 round magazines. And I wouldn't be firing warning shots at the ground.

pcosmar
09-08-2010, 06:05 AM
He shouldn't have shot the grass.
:(

"Anyone else want to negotiate? "

Anti Federalist
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Word around the interwebs this morning is that is was not an AK47 but a WASR 10 which is why he wasn't charged with violating NY's "assault weapons ban".

Toureg89
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
romy wasr 10s are pretty much the same thing as 47s, no?

or is it one of hose restarded laws that says this rifle is legal because its design is stamped made, but this one is illegal because its design is milled made or some other arbitrary shit like that.

idirtify
09-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Dude either has to:

1. Move

or

Thank-you drug war.

The Freethinker
09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm still mad about this.

What if they were indeed MS-13? MS-13 is probably the most violent street gang in the continent! Bloods? Crips? As bad as they are, MS-13 is a bloodthirsty cancer! I have seen their graffiti in my state already.

URGH. I'm so glad I've purchased a firearm and will probably get a second one not too long from now. A man must defend his family and his home.

BetaMale
09-08-2010, 02:54 PM
This is sad because the guy did everything right. He phoned the police first before taking any action and then tried his best to defend his family. I find it so hard to believe stories like this. What a nightmare I'm sure he's living through right now.

oyarde
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Empty muskets for Califonia ? I could about picture that .Sneak across the state line and get a bayonet for that musket .

Southron
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm still mad about this.

What if they were indeed MS-13? MS-13 is probably the most violent street gang in the continent! Bloods? Crips? As bad as they are, MS-13 is a bloodthirsty cancer! I have seen their graffiti in my state already.

URGH. I'm so glad I've purchased a firearm and will probably get a second one not too long from now. A man must defend his family and his home.

At that point you do what you have to do, law or no law.