PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Tasers Self (for AntiFed)

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Granted, there's a story behind all of this which is enough to make one's blood boil, but at least the guy only tased himself for once. I thought you'd enjoy someone getting a taste of their own medicine :p

Deputy tasers himself during arrest
Updated: Tuesday, 07 Sep 2010, 6:27 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 07 Sep 2010, 6:27 AM EDT

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - A Lee County deputy accidentally Tasered himself while trying to arrest someone.

A 911 caller Sunday said she was attacked by 22-year-old Shane Steven Plazola. When deputies arrived, they found Plazola in bed.

They tried to awaken him and Deputy Ronald Flynn leaned over him to see if Plazola was breathing. Authorities say Plazola then punched the deputy in the cheek, knocking him backward.

Several deputies tried to subdue Plazola. One time Flynn raised his hand to protect himself while firing his Taser. Two barbs lodged in his hand and he was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Plazola was arrested and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, battery and resisting a law enforcement officer with violence. He remained in jail Monday on $8,000 bond.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/090710-deputy-tasers-himself

legion
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
what makes your blood boil? the domestic violence or the fact that the police were investigating it?

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
what makes your blood boil? the domestic violence or the fact that the police were investigating it?

With the phonecall, they had one side of things (an accusation). Let's assume someone's innocent here, just for some silly reason :p Let's think that, perhaps, the accusation was false or incorrect in some way. Obviously her life wasn't exactly in danger, being that the guy was asleep. How would you like it if you thought you'd resolved something, or were sleeping it off, and suddenly you woke up abruptly to being surrounded by the police, with one of them "leaning over" you? How would you be likely to react upon first waking up? I don't know many people that snap into consciousness and are instantly good decisionmakers :(

So from there, you've got someone freaked out, and the police turn to the taser because several of them aren't enough to get the cuffs on him otherwise.

Now, go to the end of the article, and read the charges. More charges stem from his "resisting" the officers than from the actual call itself (assuming the "battery" charge pertains to the original purpose of the call).

oyarde
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
With the phonecall, they had one side of things (an accusation). Let's assume someone's innocent here, just for some silly reason :p Let's think that, perhaps, the accusation was false or incorrect in some way. Obviously her life wasn't exactly in danger, being that the guy was asleep. How would you like it if you thought you'd resolved something, or were sleeping it off, and suddenly you woke up abruptly to being surrounded by the police, with one of them "leaning over" you? How would you be likely to react upon first waking up? I don't know many people that snap into consciousness and are instantly good decisionmakers :(

So from there, you've got someone freaked out, and the police turn to the taser because several of them aren't enough to get the cuffs on him otherwise.

Now, go to the end of the article, and read the charges. More charges stem from his "resisting" the officers than from the actual call itself (assuming the "battery" charge pertains to the original purpose of the call).

If I woke up to that , 1) I would be convinced there indeed was a hell . 2) I would know I was currently in said place . I do not know how these cops were not suspicious about the complaint . Violent acts are somewhat rare when people are asleep .

legion
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Have you considered the fact that this person could have been pretending to be asleep so he could assault the officers? Have you not considered that he continued his assault, even after what could have been explained by the surprise of being woken up? This is the fact that will hang him in court.

amy31416
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Have you considered the fact that this person could have been pretending to be asleep so he could assault the officers? Have you not considered that he continued his assault, even after what could have been explained by the surprise of being woken up? This is the fact that will hang him in court.

May be a legitimate argument, but considering how frequently you defend the indefensible when it comes to cops--I wouldn't trust your analysis of anything on these matters, just as I wouldn't trust the "fuck all police" crowd.

sratiug

Have you considered it may have been his house and they may have been trespassing and he may have had every right to beat them senseless and throw them out the door?

oyarde

Oh . I agree , he is not going to fare well in court .

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM

oh in court? He's screwed. He struck police officers.

Of course, he was so deeply asleep/passed out that he didn't react at all to the police calling to him. Instead of "leaning over to see if he was breathing," which would startle anyone to see when they woke up, the cops could have just tried to handcuff this terror. I'm sure that he beat up the woman who dialed 9-1-1, and then fiendishly went to bed to pretend to be asleep to achieve his ultimate goal of assaulting police officers. That seems incredibly likely! (?) However, you can't simply go into every situation assuming that everyone you encounter is not only guilty, but out to harm you as an officer as well. You could just react to each situation as it presents itself, rather than surround a guy and lean over him and then act shocked when he swings at you. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't tend to apply in domestic cases, though; it's usually "who dialed 9-1-1 (first)?"

This deputy obviously had awesome judgment, though. That's the same judgment that inspired him to flail his hand around in front of where he was shooting his taser. :D

oyarde
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
oh in court? He's screwed. He struck police officers.

Of course, he was so deeply asleep/passed out that he didn't react at all to the police calling to him. Instead of "leaning over to see if he was breathing," which would startle anyone to see when they woke up, the cops could have just tried to handcuff this terror. I'm sure that he beat up the woman who dialed 9-1-1, and then fiendishly went to bed to pretend to be asleep to achieve his ultimate goal of assaulting police officers. That seems incredibly likely! (?) However, you can't simply go into every situation assuming that everyone you encounter is not only guilty, but out to harm you as an officer as well. You could just react to each situation as it presents itself, rather than surround a guy and lean over him and then act shocked when he swings at you. "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't tend to apply in domestic cases, though; it's usually "who dialed 9-1-1 (first)?"

This deputy obviously had awesome judgment, though. That's the same judgment that inspired him to flail his hand around in front of where he was shooting his taser. :D

Yep.

Acala
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Resisting the police should never be an offense unless there is a legitimate underlying charge.

Vessol
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I always love these threads when all the police apologetics come out.

legion
09-07-2010, 07:11 PM
May be a legitimate argument, but considering how frequently you defend the indefensible when it comes to cops--I wouldn't trust your analysis of anything on these matters, just as I wouldn't trust the "fuck all police" crowd.

Where's this hostility coming from?

Just because I recognize the authority of police under municipal and state law in the United States does not mean I'm defending the indefensible.

I just like to make it very clear that the proper venue to oppose law enforcement is in the courts and that the police and the courts have a legitimate function in society.

I do not understand why this is a problem, especially at the municipal level.

Why can't you see this story from another angle, the more likely one: A 22 year old kid hits his single mother, she calls the cops, and the kid hides in his room. Why? Because he's a zero. A nothing. A loser. A baby trapped in an adult's body.

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Why can't you see this story from another angle, the more likely one: A 22 year old kid hits his single mother, she calls the cops, and the kid hides in his room. Why? Because he's a zero. A nothing. A loser. A baby trapped in an adult's body.

Wow. I have no idea where you got this. The article I posted does not say what the relationship between the caller and the 22-year-old is, let alone all of this background you're attributing to them. How is your conjecture suddenly "more likely" than the *fact* that the police surrounded him in his bed, leaned over him, and he punched one of them before being "subdued" by them?

KCIndy
09-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Source? Or are you just speculating? I didn't see that info in the news article.... just curious.

legion
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Source? Or are you just speculating? I didn't see that info in the news article.... just curious.

Speculation, but likely correct. This person is only 22 years old, and apparently turns to violence as the first solution to his problems.

It's much more likely than sinister motives by the police. What I find odd about this thread is that for a community with a number of survivalists, that nobody has mentioned that the officer's response is textbook first aid for coming on an unconscious person. Remember, look, listen and feel. Guess there are no Boy Scouts here?

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Speculation, but likely correct. This person is only 22 years old, and apparently turns to violence as the first solution to his problems.

It's much more likely than sinister motives by the police. What I find odd about this thread is that for a community with a number of survivalists, that nobody has mentioned that the officer's response is textbook first aid for coming on an unconscious person. Remember, look, listen and feel. Guess there are no Boy Scouts here?

Look... listen... tase...

"Only" 22 years old is old enough to have his own place, or be living with a girlfriend, or a wife, or any number of other people. The female isn't even listed as being a co-habitator (though I'd guess she is, because there's no mention of them breaking down the door to get in, and that would probably have woken him up).

If he was potentially ambushing them, why not handcuff him and then give a look and a listen and ... feel? Is it impossible to see someone breathing without leaning over them? After someone wakes up, confused (which seems WAY more likely than his being crafty and ambushing the police from his own bed by... punching one of them in the cheek), isn't it a wise policy to step back and re-identify yourself rather than being within reach (the officer raised his hand to allegedly defend himself) and whip out a taser?

If you don't think something stinks about this, then cool, but I know that I wouldn't be pleased to see a bunch of police leaning over me who were so concerned for my welfare that they got into a physical altercation with me and were trying to tase me.

amy31416
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Where's this hostility coming from?

Pfft. That's hardly hostility. Come into my house, wake me up in the middle of the night and then maybe you'll see some hostility.

Seriously though--your speculation on what happened tells it all. As I said (before your bizarre musings) "you might be right," and now you've proven why I should be quite skeptical of what you say--you put your own agenda/imaginings into the narrative.

I would certainly hate for you to be a juror on a case involving police brutality--unless I was the cop. :)

oyarde
09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Pfft. That's hardly hostility. Come into my house, wake me up in the middle of the night and then maybe you'll see some hostility.

Seriously though--your speculation on what happened tells it all. As I said (before your bizarre musings) "you might be right," and now you've proven why I should be quite skeptical of what you say--you put your own agenda/imaginings into the narrative.

I would certainly hate for you to be a juror on a case involving police brutality--unless I was the cop. :)

Pfft is right , in my house and in my bed are a couple of places I expect to feel safe .

legion
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
It turns out hes not 22. He's 32. The wire service made a mistake.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/sep/06/lee-couny-deputy-accidentally-tasers-himself/

http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp?S=13107151

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/jul/16/south-lee-police-beat-july-16-2009/

What a winner...

amy31416
09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, Legion, you were quite wrong in sizing him up, weren't you? You lose credibility when you wax dreamily about him punching his mother and having it coming....turns out he's a scumbag of an entirely different sort.

Let's talk about that little girl that the cops shot in the head just a while back....tell me what a scumbag she was. Maybe she even had a pit bull as a pet.

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
And the police knew all this when responding, of course, which is why they did it. Oh, okay; that makes it all awesome. The ends, after all, justify the means... even if the means make no sense.

forsmant
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
WHy is he in jail again? For assaulting a man who was attempting to wake him up in his own house?

oyarde
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
And the police knew all this when responding, of course, which is why they did it. Oh, okay; that makes it all awesome. The ends, after all, justify the means... even if the means make no sense.

That is right , they did not know that.

legion
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Let's talk about that little girl that the cops shot in the head just a while back....tell me what a scumbag she was. Maybe she even had a pit bull as a pet.

Do you see me defending the police that did that?

Do you see me defending this loser?

Acala
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
A stranger wakes me up in the middle of the night, he is likely to get punched in the face.

And when a cop gets punched in the face, he and his buddies typically beat the crap out of the suspect and then tell whatever lie is necessary to justify what they did. If you don't know that, then you don't know how police operate.

Is the guy a drunk and a jerk? Probably. But he was a jerk when she married him. Too bad for her and her bad choice. Too bad for the kid also. But cops aren't ever going to fix that. They are going to make it worse. Every single damn time. Domestic battery law is WAY out of control. You can lose your civil rights for a trifle. And get the crap knocked out of you or get killed by the cops.

That having been said, none of us know what happened. We know a biased police report garbled by the news media, which is the same as knowing nothing.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, Legion, you were quite wrong in sizing him up, weren't you? You lose credibility when you wax dreamily about him punching his mother and having it coming....turns out he's a scumbag of an entirely different sort.

I once had a pitbull boxer mix . I gave it to my brother as he was living on a farm at the time and I was in town after relocating. It was a nice dog . Of couse they would have had to tase me and the dog , since we would not be down with someone in the bedroom waking us up . Poor dog , he would not know what to think . I would assume I was in hell or it was the cops , :) , not much difference , I imagine if you are being shot with electricity.

amy31416
09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Do you see me defending the police that did that?

Do you see me defending this loser?

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4400/24733111751683474417317.jpg

Guilty until proven innocent seems to be your mantra when it comes to the cops. Just making an observation--I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem with it if I criticized a "fuck the cops" poster who automatically assumed that the cop was being a scumbag. It's no different than how you automatically assume that any person who's assaulted by a cop is a scumbag.

Think about it.

forsmant
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Whats bad about that pic? is she underage?

amy31416
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I once had a pitbull boxer mix . I gave it to my brother as he was living on a farm at the time and I was in town after relocating. It was a nice dog . Of couse they would have had to tase me and the dog , since we would not be down with someone in the bedroom waking us up . Poor dog , he would not know what to think . I would assume I was in hell or it was the cops , :) , not much difference , I imagine if you are being shot with electricity.

My dog is a hostile bitch, not a pit bull though--I doubt they'd bother tasing her. I've known several pit bulls, and most of them were fantastic dogs, but I daresay that even a chihuahua would have a problem with a stranger busting in the house in the middle of the night.

legion
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Guilty until proven innocent seems to be your mantra when it comes to the cops. Just making an observation--I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem with it if I criticized a "fuck the cops" poster who automatically assumed that the cop was being a scumbag. It's no different than how you automatically assume that any person who's assaulted by a cop is a scumbag.

Think about it.

he was arrested for assaulting the mother of his children. he is a scumbag. assualt is a crime, even in an anarchocapitalistic society!

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
he was arrested for assaulting the mother of his children. he is a scumbag. assualt is a crime, even in an anarchocapitalistic society!

I'm glad you believe so. In addition to his being arrested for assault, which seems justified, I am sure you support the police being arrested for assault? They woke him, and he only swung at one of them, but it appears that more than one of them retaliated. He didn't tase them, therefore they were responding with escalating force. Does that belief of yours cut both ways?

Anti Federalist
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Granted, there's a story behind all of this which is enough to make one's blood boil, but at least the guy only tased himself for once. I thought you'd enjoy someone getting a taste of their own medicine :p

I'll let all the arguments be in this thread and just chuckle over the image of the self tased cop.

:D

Thank you, my dear, for a lovely, lovely image.

<<<Bows

amy31416
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM

You've made missing the point a fine art form. Congratulations.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
My dog is a hostile bitch, not a pit bull though--I doubt they'd bother tasing her. I've known several pit bulls, and most of them were fantastic dogs, but I daresay that even a chihuahua would have a problem with a stranger busting in the house in the middle of the night.

Sometimes , I think the little dogs are even more territorial .

forsmant
09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Little dogs aren't dangerous to adults.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 08:39 PM

I do not know what the authorities consider dangerous . I consider them dangerous .

amy31416
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Dangerous? No. Annoying? Almost always.

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2010, 08:26 AM
lol! - reminds me of that DEA agent DEA agent who was giving a lecture on gun safety at a school and shot himself in the foot while taking his gun out of it's holster...

-t