View Full Version : "My Trip to Al Qaeda" on HBO tonight 9pm ET

tropicangela
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Just heard this is on tonight.

http://www.hbo.com/#/documentaries/my-trip-to-al-qaeda/synopsis.html/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129697986

Ekrub
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I just watched this and I have to say this is a "must watch." Great message, well delivered. If you have any warhawk friends try to get them to watch this. I'm surprised no one has posted on rpf about it yet.

BenIsForRon
09-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I just watched this and I have to say this is a "must watch." Great message, well delivered. If you have any warhawk friends try to get them to watch this. I'm surprised no one has posted on rpf about it yet.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for a torrent soon.

TigerPrwn
09-09-2010, 02:06 AM
NPR is a propaganda mouthpiece. Take em' for 80/20. I compare them to my health coverage... Ya pay 20% and you'll FEEL just how far they shove it up yer a&&. :cool: Do you like 20% up yer ass boys????? Pretty soon, thanks to their GOVERNMENT FUNDED MENGELE LIKE PROPAGANDA, we'll be takin' in that "free ride" of gov't mandated health care REAL soon...

tropicangela
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
don't have hbo, need torrent too

JamesButabi
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I will seed one later today

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Just a few points in the movie:

- Bruce Willis's Planet Hollywood was attacked by a radical islamic group due to the portrayal of Muslims in the movie "The Seige" which the narrator (Alex Gibney I believe) co-wrote. He sets off to find what motivates the radical islamic people.

- Islam doesn't reward suicide, though Bin Laden has distorted what the Quran states to make it look that way. (you actually commit your suicide in a continual loop)

- A combination of things including poverty, despair, depression, humiliation, and other factors motivate suicide bombers.

- America lost its values when we begin to torture, lose our liberties

- We have played right into Bin Laden's plans

- Due to the PATRIOT Act, Alex Gibney (the narrator) had his home searched by the FBI and his daughter was on the list of people linked to Al-Qaeda. (this was because he was researching them)

- Muslim people see the news through Al-Jazeera, not Fox.

- Gibney doesn't excuse the terrorists for what they have done, but tries to understand why. He struggles with the moral dilemma of interviewing them, but tries to stay objective.

I highly reccomend watching this video, and I think it will definetly be a turning point for many war hawks. My wife started crying during one scene when this family is being cleared out of their home so US troops can search it. A little girl comes out and her lip is quivering and you can see the look of terror in her eyes. It was a very powerful scene and kind of a the "turning point" for the narrator as he realizes the impact that the war has caused.

Now while many of you will say "well duh, I already knew that" I would still reccomend watching.

dannno
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a must-watch.

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
nevermind, read that wrong.

dannno
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Chhhhuunnnckkk!!!

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Chhhhuunnnckkk!!!

Who is my avatar's friend?

Romulus
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Al Qaeda cant destroy America, only we can do that to ourselves.

true

JamesButabi
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Here it is in 720p.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7h8lv17xagpc8m0

Il seed for a while

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
What did you think?

tropicangela
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Il seed for a while

9 hours? =)

tropicangela
09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
1-2 hours

w2992
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
i have 6 different HBO channels but it is not on any?

tropicangela
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
i have 6 different HBO channels but it is not on any?

it aired 2 days ago

Ekrub
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
If you have comcast it's on On Demand

Ekrub
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I feel like this guy definetly "gets it"

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/movies/interviews/2010/mytriptoalqaeda.html?start=2

If you could give the Obama administration and the allied forces in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan some advice, what would it be? Is it possible to "win" the war on terror? What would victory look like?

The war in Iraq was a terrible mistake and shouldn't really be counted as a part of the war on terror. From a geopolitical perspective, the removal of Saddam Hussein, monster that he was, liberated Iran, which is a far greater threat to the West than the blustery Hussein ever was.

In Afghanistan, we have two paths ahead of us. One is that the U.S. "stays the course," even as our NATO allies leave the field. The outcome is that we will prop up a phony democracy run by war lords and drug lords, while a chronic insurgency spreads through the country and perhaps the entire region. The other is that we leave, the Taliban gradually regain territory, the tribal civil war resumes, and al-Qaeda regains its sanctuary. Those are pretty dismal prospects.

I favor Vice President Biden's approach of reducing the American military footprint and running operations only against al-Qaeda. I don't think we can save Afghanistan. As for Pakistan, I'm in favor of drastically reducing our foreign aid to that country. Since 9/11, we've given $11 billion, mostly in military aid, which has given the army an outsized position in Pakistani society, while doing very little to counter the radicalism and anti-Americanism that are consuming that country now. In place of aid, I suggest dropping the trade tariffs against Pakistani imports, which would benefit the Pakistani middle class.

devil21
09-11-2010, 03:50 AM
It just showed up on HBO On Demand tonite and I just finished it.

It's a decent show but it SERIOUSLY glosses over the funding, training, and continued support from the CIA. The author/narrator even goes so far as to laugh off OBL's CIA links eventhough the author well knows OBL/AQ's history as a CIA funded organization during the Afghanistan/Soviet war. He could have dug deeper with the spotlight on him. He does highlight much of the blowback theory though.

tropicangela
09-11-2010, 08:01 AM
It just showed up on HBO On Demand tonite and I just finished it.

It's a decent show but it SERIOUSLY glosses over the funding, training, and continued support from the CIA. The author/narrator even goes so far as to laugh off OBL's CIA links eventhough the author well knows OBL/AQ's history as a CIA funded organization during the Afghanistan/Soviet war. He could have dug deeper with the spotlight on him. He does highlight much of the blowback theory though.

It talked about how Anwar Sadat's Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty led to his assassination by Egyptian Islamic Jihad. It didn't talk about how the United States & Israel are allies or give history on that. It talked about how Al-Zawahri and other Islamic prisoners in Egypt were tortured which fueled the militant hatred and revenge, and then he linked it to the torture done by the US in Abu Ghraib. The author said "to understand Egyptian prisons is to understand the roots of Islamic terror."

In Part 3 called "Kindergarten of Hate," Ali Salem (a playwright) (http://lib1.library.cornell.edu/colldev/mideast/alsalem.htm) read a poem of hate while photos of children reading textbooks which can be found here - Terror in America (25): Egyptian Satirist Playwright Ali Salem: 'I want to start a kindergarten for extremism (http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/133/545.htm)

In a satiric article published in the London daily Al-Hayat, Egyptian playwright Ali Salem mocked the Arab media'sincitement to extremism. Salem sarcastically suggested opening a kindergarten to teach terrorist values. Following areexcerpts from the article which was titled "A new curriculum of extremism for children."

Excerpt:

"Dear children: 'Hate the beaches. Hate the flowers and the roses. Hate the wheat fields. Hate the trees. Hate music. Hate all manner of artistic, literary, or scientific endeavor. Hate tenderness. Hate reason and intellect. Hate your families and your countrymen. Hate others – all others. Hate yourselves. Hate your teachers. Hate me. Hate this school. Hate life and everything in it.'"
"Go on, get to class."[1]

But, it didn't mention anything about this:

Saturday, March 23, 2002; Page A01

In the twilight of the Cold War, the United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings, part of covert attempts to spur resistance to the Soviet occupation.

The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system's core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books, though the radical movement scratched out human faces in keeping with its strict fundamentalist code. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5339-2002Mar22?language=printer

He said (paraphrased) that while these radicals are bent on death and destruction, they have no plan for what comes afterwards to build a civilized society.

Galileo Galilei
09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
KSM Conspiracy Charges Analyzed and Debunked
Don’t believe the charges until you’ve read the charge sheet
http://www.truthjihad.com/ksm.htm