PDA

View Full Version : Is there an internet media blackout on Righthaven?

WaltM
09-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Do we see sites such as

Lessig
Wikileaks
Slashdot
MetaFilter
BoingBoing
PajamasMedia
Crooks & Liars
Breitbart
Drudge
Drudge.com & Cadenhead
Wayback Machine (archive.org)

say anything about this topic?

Not conspiracy theorizing, I'm just surprised it's not more talked about (seems quite harmless).

legion
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Righthaven is about to get their teeth kicked out their ass. I wouldn't want to be this Steven Gibson guy right now. What the hell was he thinking, talking to the print media about his new "business model" basically admitting he is filling experimental litigation in federal court for personal profit. Talk about asking for FRCP Rule 11 sanctions.

And that seems to be what's happening in some of the cases.

Read the MajorWager.com filling:

“Plaintiff Righthaven LLC knows that the costs of defending this action will far outweigh the value of this case, and is seeking to extract a settlement under the threat of protracted litigation and expense. Neither the federal courts nor the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure were established for this purpose.”

WaltM
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Righthaven is about to get their teeth kicked out their ass. I wouldn't want to be this Steven Gibson guy right now. What the hell was he thinking, talking to the print media about his new "business model" basically admitting he is filling experimental litigation in federal court for personal profit. Talk about asking for FRCP Rule 11 sanctions.

And that seems to be what's happening in some of the cases.

Read the MajorWager.com filling:

“Plaintiff Righthaven LLC knows that the costs of defending this action will far outweigh the value of this case, and is seeking to extract a settlement under the threat of protracted litigation and expense. Neither the federal courts nor the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure were established for this purpose.”

I, like many others, can't wait.

what sickens me is people jump on this opportunity to condemn copyright and IP altogether.