PDA

View Full Version : Researchers Say Happiness Means An Income Of $75k

Matt Collins
09-07-2010, 03:52 PM
"Does happiness rise with income? In one of the more scientific attempts to answer that question, researchers from Princeton have put a price on happiness. It's about $75,000 in income a year. They found that not having enough money definitely causes emotional pain and unhappiness. But, after reaching an income of about $75,000 per year, money can't buy happiness. More money can, however, help people view their lives as successful or better.

The study found that people's evaluations of their lives improved steadily with annual income. But the quality of their everyday experiences — their feelings — did not improve above an income of $75,000 a year. As income decreased from $75,000, people reported decreasing happiness and increasing sadness, as well as stress. The study found that being divorced, being sick and other painful experiences have worse effects on a poor person than on a wealthier one."

SOURCE:
http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/09/07/1519221/Researchers-Say-Happiness-Costs-75k

RCA
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Ten years ago, the magic number was $40,000 per another study. I guess inflation affects everything.

Toureg89
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
to tell you the truth, as long as i had a woman to love, i could be happy making 40,000$ a year, or even less.

Agorism
09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Or it's the opposite. Maybe happy people tend to do well, get along with others, get goals, and eventually do well in some sort of career.

Hard to say.

djdellisanti4
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah I agree with agorism, and I find this a stupid study. Happiness is much more than money. Obviously it can be harder to be happy without though.

dannno
09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
to tell you the truth, as long as i had a woman to love, i could be happy making 40,000$ a year, or even less.

Good luck :p

YouTube - TLC - No Scrubs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpF5wOcy7os)

Legend1104
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
So that is what is wrong with me!!! I guess that means that millionaires that commit suicide are "jumping for joy." Ya know, "joy that kills." (story of an hour reference).

Promontorium
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM

So you must be making a hell of a lot more than that?

I'd be happy to ever make $40,000 in my life.

Fuck I'm poor.

Happiness doesn't give you $75,000/year, that's just silly. I think what happens is there's a saturation level where the harder you work and the smarter you work, the more you make, but to get into higher tiers requires substantially more time, effort, and throatcutting ability. But really it's just averages. Some jobs just pay a hell of a lot more. If I wanted to do the technician job I was trained for I could be making about $80,000 for the Feds right now. But I never liked electronics. Meanwhile I had this moron co-worker get offered $100,000/year by Boeing right out of the military because he could fix jet engines.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Such a stupid "study". I guess these researchers never heard of subjectivism eh? Each persons happiness comes about through their own value system, whether it be money, love, etc.

I'll be happy when I'm a freeman.

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Such a stupid "study". I guess these researchers never heard of subjectivism eh?

Good point. It's all relative. People are happy when they are making more than they did in the past, and feel that they are keeping up with everyone else. Most people don't derive happiness from having that much more than others. They may even feel guilty. Only a minority take great pleasure in excess and gluttony at the obvious expense of others. Wall St. comes to mind...

This is also the basis for the happiness (and hard-work) of recent immigrants. They are happy because they have exceeded their past and their expectations. And it is at a lower level than Americans. It only works for the first generation, after that, the expectations are the same as anyone else.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
So you must be making a hell of a lot more than that?

I'd be happy to ever make $40,000 in my life.

Fuck I'm poor.

Happiness doesn't give you $75,000/year, that's just silly. I think what happens is there's a saturation level where the harder you work and the smarter you work, the more you make, but to get into higher tiers requires substantially more time, effort, and throatcutting ability. But really it's just averages. Some jobs just pay a hell of a lot more. If I wanted to do the technician job I was trained for I could be making about $80,000 for the Feds right now. But I never liked electronics. Meanwhile I had this moron co-worker get offered $100,000/year by Boeing right out of the military because he could fix jet engines.
Curious , how are you living in California on such minimal income ?

jake
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm happy making less than half of that, and i'll be happy when i'm making twice that much.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm happy making less than half of that, and i'll be happy when i'm making twice that much.

Great attitude !

Vessol
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
It's mainly a stress test. Someone making 75k isn't going to have to worry(usually) where their next meal is coming, how they will pay their bills next month, etc etc. Those can make anyone unhappy, worrying about that stuff. Humans are built to desire security in themselves and their near(and sometimes far) future. That's what makes us afterall, human.

I'm currently living off roughly 500$ a month and live with a roommate. It's stressful, but I will say that there is a lot of happiness and pride derived knowing that everything I earn is from my hard work and labor alone.

brandon
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
My own calculations have led me to a similar number. $75k/year is just enough for a man to pay his mortgage on a reasonable house, drive a reasonable car, have a little entertainment each month, go on a vacation each year, and pay for 2 kids and a stay at home wife.

$85k/year and you can throw in a boat or motorcycle or such, but that's not really necessary.

amy31416
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
My own calculations have led me to a similar number. $75k/year is just enough for a man to pay his mortgage on a reasonable house, drive a reasonable car, have a little entertainment each month, go on a vacation each year, and pay for 2 kids and a stay at home wife.

$85k/year and you can throw in a boat or motorcycle or such, but that's not really necessary.

It all sounds so....

YouTube - Talking Heads - "Once In A Lifetime" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU)

brandon
09-07-2010, 09:41 PM
^lol

Life is about so much more than acquiring money. Life is not centered on the things I listed. Those are but a small part of it, but an important part nonetheless. If you can have them, while still having the other things, why not? To each their own of course, but from my experience I can tell you that the people who I have come across who have those things, generally lead much more fulfilling, enriching lives than those who don't.

WaltM
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Inside joke :

Is it a coincidence that $75K is what righthaven asks for on a typical infringement suit?

Matt Collins
09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
YouTube - So... Money Can Buy Happiness? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39RyTwzBnus&feature=player_embedded#)!