PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

Kludge
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Bizarre admission...

"The top US commander in Afghanistan has warned that troops' lives will be in danger if an American church sticks to its plan to burn copies of the Koran.

Gen David Petraeus said the action could cause problems "not just in Kabul, but everywhere in the world".

Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center, plans to put copies of the holy book in a bonfire to mark this week's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The White House and Nato have also expressed concern over the plan.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said on Tuesday that "any type of activity like that that puts our troops in harm's way would be a concern to this administration"."

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11209738

oyarde
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Bizarre admission...

"The top US commander in Afghanistan has warned that troops' lives will be in danger if an American church sticks to its plan to burn copies of the Koran.

Gen David Petraeus said the action could cause problems "not just in Kabul, but everywhere in the world".

Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center, plans to put copies of the holy book in a bonfire to mark this week's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said on Tuesday that "any type of activity like that that puts our troops in harm's way would be a concern to this administration"."

The General is correct . Not too sure the people involved in an activity like this care about anyone but themselves . What positive could they possibly think would come from this ?

puppetmaster
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
bet it does not happen.....national security thing

but who knows.....I wish religious nuts would hurry up with their rapture thingy....

not putting down religion......just the wackos that gravitate to it

wizardwatson
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Bizarre admission:

WizardWatson: Fighting needless wars will endanger U.S. troops.

puppetmaster
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
bizarre admission:

Wizardwatson: Fighting needless wars will endanger u.s. Troops.

+1000

Kludge
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Bizarre admission:

WizardWatson: Fighting needless wars will endanger U.S. troops.

That's what I found bizarre. He's clearly admitting asinine actions by US citizens & government cause protests like burning the pastor in effigy. That's just a tiny step away from saying US pre-9/11 foreign policy contributed to 9/11, and you know where that leads...

wizardwatson
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
That's what I found bizarre. He's clearly admitting asinine actions by US citizens & government cause protests like burning the pastor in effigy. That's just a tiny step away from saying US pre-9/11 foreign policy contributed to 9/11, and you know where that leads...

Like I've said before the solution to the fundamentalist Islam problem is for every country in the world to pretend to be a Islamic theocracy and then have the MSM discredit the Muslim fundamentalists as wacko conspiracy theorists since clearly Islam would be the law of the land.

The same way nearly every country in the world claims to be a Constitutional Republic and the real constitutional republicans are discounted as wackos.

Promontorium
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Being at war endangers US troops. The governments been trying to scare us that the Taliban is biding its time, well, if this gets them to attack, the government gets what it wants.

Promontorium
09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a theory that the closer we get to this book burning the more Islamic the word will appear. A couple days ago it was Koran. Then we got Quran, now i'm seeing the spelling with the apostrophe in the middle, by the time the Christians start the fire the headlines will be in full Arabic.

qh4dotcom
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
The General is correct . Not too sure the people involved in an activity like this care about anyone but themselves . What positive could they possibly think would come from this ?

The General is endangering the troops more himself than some silly church in Gainesville. If he really cared about them, he would bring them home or at least he would stop asking for more troops to be deployed to Afghanistan.

angelatc
09-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Why do you hate America?

Seriously, when I first heard this my initial reaction was about the same. Apparently we expect them not to get pissed about being starved and bombed, but burn the Quran and all hell will break loose and it will totally be our fault.

WTF?

oyarde
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
The General is endangering the troops more himself than some silly church in Gainesville. If he really cared about them, he would bring them home or at least he would stop asking for more troops to be deployed to Afghanistan.

His job is to do what he thinks will be effective to succeed . It is the civilian govt . that determines where the soldier is sent and what the mission is .

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Fighting needless wars will endanger U.S. troops.

Apparently we expect them not to get pissed about being starved and bombed, but burn the Quran and all hell will break loose and it will totally be our fault.

Both good points.

On a related topic, how do we know that this church is going to burn some books? Oh yeah, the media has been talking about it endlessly. Why would that be?

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Both good points.

On a related topic, how do we know that this church is going to burn some books? Oh yeah, the media has been talking about it endlessly. Why would that be?

I knew about it before the media picked up on it. At that point, the church was having all kinds of problems with vandals and their signs. It was written off as stupid and kooky, and it really wasn't expected to attract many supporters OR protestors. It was also supposed to happen in a small incinerator.

Now it is a bonfire with international attention, a no-fly zone, checkpoints within the neighborhood, protestors, and there are signs all over the city advertising this nonsense.

Thank you, media.

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
At least they will report when Ron Paul gives his opinion on it... unlike when he has a rally with a candidate running against the Speaker of the House. :rolleyes:

Ron Paul on Quran Burning: "The Real Provocateurs"

Press Release Source: Campaign for Liberty On Tuesday September 7, 2010, 6:07 pm

LAKE JACKSON, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Congressman Ron Paul today issued the following statement about a Florida pastor's plan to ban copies of the Quran on the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

“A professed Christian pastor in Gainesville, Florida, Terry Jones, plans to burn copies of the Quran on 9/11. He indicts all Islam for 9/11 and argues that it is a hate-driven religion. He’s convinced he’s on God’s side even though he is getting little support from other Christians, who believe that Jesus is the Prince of Peace.

“General David Petraeus, our military commander in Afghanistan, strongly condemned Mr. Jones’ plan, arguing it would be provocative, make his fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan more difficult and further jeopardize the lives of American soldiers.

“I agree! This blame of all Muslims for the atrocities of 9/11 only makes things worse — especially since it wasn’t the Taliban of Afghanistan that committed the atrocities on 9/11. Under Jones’ warped logic, we should have attacked Saudi Arabia since 15 of the 19 suicide bombers came from that country.

“But while I am pleased to see General Petraeus recognize the danger of one type of incitement, he unfortunately fails to see the whole picture and understand that our policies of torture, targeted assassination, invasion of Muslim countries and unintended infliction of civilian casualties in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are also provocative. Pictures of victims of torture as well as innocent people killed by drones and stray bombs are every bit as bad as burning the Quran.

“In some ways, what Jones is doing may be minor compared to the resentment toward us as a consequence of what our government has done to thousands of innocent victims.

“As I have said time and time again, Osama bin Laden wins by 'proving' that America is an enemy of Islam and has an occupation agenda in the Middle East. And, we continue to walk into his trap and hand him up his best recruitment tool in his efforts to provoke hatred and terrorism against the United States.

“If we don’t want to incite radical Islamists, we need to stop these un-needed wars. It is high time we came to our senses, brought our troops home to defend our country and pursued a Constitutional, Pro-American foreign policy.”

Dreamofunity
09-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I heard this compared to Abu Ghraib earlier today; as it was stated, the release of the pictures was a bad PR move, not the actual commiting of torture.

Reason
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
YouTube - 'Burn the Quran Day' protest: Terry Jones effigy set on fire in Afghanistan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lne0NoxEoz8)

QueenB4Liberty
09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
that's what i found bizarre. He's clearly admitting asinine actions by us citizens & government cause protests like burning the pastor in effigy. That's just a tiny step away from saying us pre-9/11 foreign policy contributed to 9/11, and you know where that leads...

+10000

Acala
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
We need to suspend the First Amendment. It's for the troops. Otherwise the terrorists will win.

Kludge
09-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Maybe it's also worth noting that while almost every major US, UN, and religious official has condemned the burning of the Koran, almost nobody condemns burning the pastor (in effigy) or US flag.

Is this submission to those (very likely) Muslims, or just realizing we can't change the minds of those people through international condemnation they'll probably never hear?

Schifference
09-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Is it not our duty to grant the same tolerance to the beliefs of Mr. Jones and allow him the freedom to express himself? Is this a liberty issue or am I missing something?

amy31416
09-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Is it not our duty to grant the same tolerance to the beliefs of Mr. Jones and allow him the freedom to express himself? Is this a liberty issue or am I missing something?

We have to tolerate him? Nope. You can still support his freedom of speech and criticize him for the asshole he is.

Allow him the freedom to express himself?

I feel the same way about him as I do the Westboro Baptist Church, and I support their right to freedom of speech as well. That's our only "duty" as far as I'm concerned.

Schifference
09-08-2010, 08:14 AM
I feel the same way about him as I do the Westboro Baptist Church, and I support their right to freedom of speech as well. That's our only "duty" as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

I guess I am confused because I thought if I support his right to freedom of speech then that meant that I tolerate his action.
Maybe I am unclear on the definition of tolerance.
–noun
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

amy31416
09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I guess I am confused because I thought if I support his right to freedom of speech then that meant that I tolerate his action.
–noun
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

I am biased against assholes like that, so my version of "tolerance" is to ignore them, and laugh when they push someone too far and get punched in the jaw.

Yep, it violates the non-violence principle, but they violate the human decency principle--no sympathy from me.

Danke
09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I am biased against assholes like that, so my version of "tolerance" is to ignore them, and laugh when they push someone too far and get punched in the jaw.

Yep, it violates the non-violence principle, but they violate the human decency principle--no sympathy from me.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2e4dder.jpg

wizardwatson
09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Maybe it's also worth noting that while almost every major US, UN, and religious official has condemned the burning of the Koran, almost nobody condemns burning the pastor (in effigy) or US flag.

Is this submission to those (very likely) Muslims, or just realizing we can't change the minds of those people through international condemnation they'll probably never hear?

It's all a hate-filled clusterfuck. Who's endangering the troops more? The podunk pastor or the MSM for reporting it 24-7 to the whole goddamn world.

This is all staged, and in perfect human form, everyone picks a side instead of kicking the asshole who's drawing the line in the sand, square in the nuts.

I feel the same way about him as I do the Westboro Baptist Church, and I support their right to freedom of speech as well. That's our only "duty" as far as I'm concerned.

–noun

I don't like Fred Phelps BS and would fight it if I knew how or if I saw it as high enough on my priority list. I've already had to figure out how to explain his inflammatory signs to my 6 year old as we drive down the street. Westboro Baptist Church is spreading hate. That's it. He bends his interpretation of scripture to spread his venom, and he bends the law to spread his venom. Unfortunately people just hate him back around here (I live in Topeka) instead of having counter prayer vigils and using compassion to fight him. People could fight him with compassion and some childish humor but they don't.

But we shouldn't "tolerate" him in the sense that we value his "opinion" or contribution to a free society.

lucius
09-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Petraeus, another high-functioning psychopath...who cares what he has to say about anything...just don't elect him to any office...and put them down or out to pasture when they are no longer of use...

Understand his ilk & who really run the world--Political Ponerology: http://www.ponerology.com/

Bizarre admission...

amy31416
09-08-2010, 08:46 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2e4dder.jpg

:D

wizardwatson
09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Haha!!

Koran-burning plan draws worldwide condemnation. (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68709M20100908)

Well shiver me timbers! The whole world is against this podunk pastor. The world is united. Hallelujah and praise Jesus.

If we could only get the world to unite against violence and war, maybe we could make some real progress.

A self-respecting nation is ready for anything, including war, except for a renunciation of its option to make war. - Simone Weil

Acala
09-08-2010, 09:21 AM
To honor his right to speak all we have to do is refrain from sending government thugs to silence him and give him the same protection from criminal attack as everyone else gets. We don't have to like him or approve his message. In fact we can publicly criticize, humiliate, and laugh at him. We can stage counter protests. We can boycott him. We can even exclude him from our businesses and associations. And we can laugh if he gets the crap knocked out of him - but we would have to enforce the laws against his attacker.

amy31416
09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
To honor his right to speak all we have to do is refrain from sending government thugs to silence him and give him the same protection from criminal attack as everyone else gets. We don't have to like him or approve his message. In fact we can publicly criticize, humiliate, and laugh at him. We can stage counter protests. We can boycott him. We can even exclude him from our businesses and associations. And we can laugh if he gets the crap knocked out of him - but we would have to enforce the laws against his attacker.

Quite reasonable.

idirtify
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Let’s see…which of the many possible opinions hasn’t been posted yet? Here are three:

1) It seems that the list of things that could possibly endanger the troops is growing ever larger, and the warnings growing ever stronger. Are we/they growing towards a whole new standard for law? I mean so far “troop endangerment” is not actually a crime, but how much closer could it be when the MILITARY issues the warnings? Zooming ten years forward, will we eliminate our legal code based on the Golden Rule and non-aggression and individual liberty, and replace it with one called “the well-being of the troops”?

2) Let’s rent the property adjacent to Jones’s event and have our own (completely legal) book burning. If you forget your copy of Jones’s ISLAM IS OF THE DEVIL, you can just go across the street and buy one. I’m sure he will be happy to sell you one.

3) I’m sure the book publishers are happy to see more book burnings. They sell more books.

mconder
09-08-2010, 10:23 AM
His job is to die to protect whatever crazy ass things people want to say in this country. That's what general Betrayus signed up for.

oyarde
09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
His job is to die to protect whatever crazy ass things people want to say in this country. That's what general Betrayus signed up for.

While what he General said is true . It would have been best if he made no public comment .