PDA

View Full Version : Judge Declines to Dismiss Charges Against Christians in Dearborn

BlackTerrel
09-06-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100831/judge-declines-to-dismiss-charges-against-christian-street-preachers/

A district court judge in Michigan declined to dismiss a case against four street preachers who were arrested back in June after engaging in conversations with attendees of a large Arab festival.

Judge Marks Somers of 19th District Court in Dearborn heard arguments for two hours on Monday and said he needed clarification on some issues that had been raised before deciding whether or not to drop the charges against Negeen Mayel, Dr. Nabeel Qureshi, Paul Rezkalla, and David Wood.

Defense attorney Robert Muise, senior trial counsel with the Thomas More Law Center, argued in court that the group did nothing wrong and that their arrest violates their constitutional rights of freedom of speech and religion.

"My clients should not stand trial for exercising their First Amendment rights," Muise said.

According to the street preachers, several individuals had engaged in “civilized” conversations with Qureshi on the opening night of the 15th Annual Dearborn Arab International Festival, which drew hundreds of thousands from across the country, Canada and the Middle East.

“We made sure that the only people we talked to were people who first approached us. And this was to limit accusations of instigation and disruption,” Qureshi noted shortly after the June 18 incident. “We knew people have a tendency to accuse us of being disruptive, of inciting, and instigating. So we wanted to make sure we did absolutely nothing of the sort.”

Despite the extra steps of precautions and the eventually-amicable nature of the conversations, the four were accused by passerbys of disturbing the peace and soon after arrested by police. Notably, however, only one – Qureshi – had been engaged in conversation. Two others – Wood and Rezkalla – were reportedly only videotaping the dialogue. The fourth – 18-year-old Mayel – was also videotaping, but doing so from afar.

“I’m 18-years-old, I’ve had no record, and now I’m being hauled off to jail for holding a camera at this Dearborn festival,” remarked Mayel, who said she was standing about 100 feet away from the other three...

...The defendants, all associated with the Acts 17 Apologetics Ministries, face fines of up to $500 each and up to 93 days in jail. Mayel was also charged with disobeying an officer.

Acts 17 was founded by Qureshi and Wood – a former Muslim and a former atheist, respectively.

This is a travesty:

YouTube - Arab Festival 2010: Dearborn Police Defending Islam against the Constitution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smw9QuH1xkA)

erowe1
09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
What in the world was the charge?

This is just ridiculous.

Edit: I see it's "breach of peace." Looks like an all-purpose law the city uses to make sure they can dictate to pretty much anyone whatever they can and can't do at any given time. It's like we're in China.

angelatc
09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
But the worst part is that this group is using their anti-Muslim rhetoric to drum up hate. There's no doubt that what they did should be legal, but it isn't an issue that Dearborn is alone in enforcing.

Lots of us have been involved in sign disputes. I seem to remember some guys in Orlando getting arrested twice for passing out Constitutions.

Their fight in this instance is important, but their message is not what it should be.

The same people who are in on this "Sharia law is coming!" have no interest in freedom - they'd be perfectly happy if law enforcement was tazing Muslims handing out literature outside a church BBQ.

erowe1
09-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I seem to remember some guys in Orlando getting arrested twice for passing out Constitutions.

Can you dig up any links about that? I'm skeptical.

I think I remember a case in DC where a guy got arrested for reading the Constitution through a bull horn. But IIRC the fact that he was using a bull horn was the problem.

erowe1
09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The same people who are in on this "Sharia law is coming!" have no interest in freedom - they'd be perfectly happy if law enforcement was tazing Muslims handing out literature outside a church BBQ.

Maybe some would. But not very many. I think by far most Christians, including ardently anti-Islamic ones, would not support arresting Muslims for that.

libertybrewcity
09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I bet they could easily bring this to a state or federal court. Bring some national attention to it.

BlackTerrel
09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
But the worst part is that this group is using their anti-Muslim rhetoric to drum up hate. There's no doubt that what they did should be legal, but it isn't an issue that Dearborn is alone in enforcing.

Lots of us have been involved in sign disputes. I seem to remember some guys in Orlando getting arrested twice for passing out Constitutions.

Their fight in this instance is important, but their message is not what it should be.

That's crap. There is a video of Nabeel Quereshi (the founder of this group) saying "I am a former Muslim, almost all my family are Muslims, I love Muslims".

The goal of groups like this is evangelical - not hate. While you may disagree with their tactics, no one should threaten their first amendment rights. To me, as a Christian and an American, what happens in that video is very troubling. The fact that the charges still aren't dropped is also troubling. If these guys go to jail it will be one of the most blatant suppressions of free speech in the US that I have ever seen.

And I have a feeling that if this happened to any other religious group it would be getting far more attention. As it is, it is only getting local and Christian press.

phill4paul
09-06-2010, 12:11 PM
What in the world was the charge?

This is just ridiculous.

Edit: I see it's "breach of peace." Looks like an all-purpose law the city uses to make sure they can dictate to pretty much anyone whatever they can and can't do at any given time. It's like we're in China.

Yep, that is the one. Much like N.C. open carry law which states that someone that is open carrying is within state rights. Excepting in that they go "armed to the terror of the people."

Laws should be objective not subjective. What is a "breach of the peace" or going "armed to the terror" for me is not the same for someone from "mamby-pamby land" that the color yellow elicits feelings of sadness. It's the "jack-wagons" that'll enslave us in the end.:D