PDA

View Full Version : Islamophobia - Islam as a political tool?

Matt Collins
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
YouTube - CrossTalk on Mosque Phobia: Islam as political tool? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYK84X9JTps&feature=player_embedded)

Matt Collins
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
What, no comments?

tropicangela
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
the tawfik hamid guy said islamic teachings should be changed and reformed. that we should distinguish between muslim culture and islamic teaching?

"Dr. Tawfik Hamid, is an Islamic thinker and reformer, and one time Islamic extremist from Egypt. He was a member of a terrorist Islamic organization JI with Dr. Ayman Al-Zawaherri who became later on the second in command of Al-Qaeda. Some twenty-five years ago, he recognized the threat of Radical Islam and the need for a reformation based upon modern peaceful interpretations of classical Islamic core texts." http://www.tawfikhamid.com/

angelatc
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Absolutely. I just can't decide if it is the right or the left that's driving it. Hey, why not! Substitute Muslim for Jew, and you get "It worked for Hitler."

oyarde
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I think we may finally be reaching a point where maybe slightly more than half of the voters will not be distracted by ignorance , but will remain focused on core issues .

WaltM
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Absolutely. I just can't decide if it is the right or the left that's driving it. Hey, why not! Substitute Muslim for Jew, and you get "It worked for Hitler."

not all religions are equal, so not all bigotry against religious extremists are equal.

you don't support things based on whether its right or left, so why do you care who's supporting this one? (or do you?)

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I think we may finally be reaching a point where maybe slightly more than half of the voters will not be distracted by ignorance , but will remain focused on core issues .

The trouble is that the voters get angry, but then that anger is driven right into the path that leads to the Party-not-in-power. Back and forth... back and forth...
and when they are upset and don't know what to do, they will mull around in the middle, unsure as to how to make the choices better. Some of those people wake up and try to get involved, some disconnect entirely, some stay home, and some go back to sleep because it's easier.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
The trouble is that the voters get angry, but then that anger is driven right into the path that leads to the Party-not-in-power. Back and forth... back and forth...
and when they are upset and don't know what to do, they will mull around in the middle, unsure as to how to make the choices better. Some of those people wake up and try to get involved, some disconnect entirely, some stay home, and some go back to sleep because it's easier.

True , but I also think people are beginning to understand the benefit of smaller government , less spending , Liberty etc. , if so , it is a beginning .