PDA

View Full Version : FL Church To Hold Koran Burning Event

Matt Collins
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-29/us/florida.burn.quran.day_1_american-muslims-religion-cair-spokesman-ibrahim-hooper?_s=PM:US

dean.engelhardt
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
How many will arrive in cars with a "I support our troops" bumper sticker?

Matt Collins
09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
How many will arrive in cars with a "I support our troops" bumper sticker?I think a counter protest is expected

lynnf
09-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I hope most of us on this forum could earnestly say, whether they agree with them or not - "I would defend to the death their right to do so!"

lynn

phill4paul
09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I would defend to the death their right to do so.

Having said that..Yippe-Ki-Yay! Woot. Let's burn Korans and build a religious temple in a place it is not welcomed by many. Way to go. You're really showing them.

Whomever your dog is he is full of win!

Dipshits!

pcosmar
09-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I hope most of us on this forum could earnestly say, whether they agree with them or not - "I would defend to the death their right to do so!"

lynn

As long as they buy the books they can burn them if they like.
Pointless as it may be.

Try to ban books or censor on a wide scale and they will have my total opposition.

BlackTerrel
09-06-2010, 01:47 PM

lynn

I don't see that anyone has said they shouldn't have the right.

Now let them continue to be assholes.

Kotin
09-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I would defend to the death their right to do so.

Having said that..Yippe-Ki-Yay! Woot. Let's burn Korans and build a religious temple in a place it is not welcomed by many. Way to go. You're really showing them.

Whomever your dog is he is full of win!

Dipshits!

Win.

Matt Collins
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Now let them continue to be assholes.I wonder why some Muslims want to kills us? :rolleyes:

Could it be that many in this country are egging on a holy war? Or could it be that our government has needlessly stirred up various hornets nests across the globe?

pcosmar
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I wonder why some Muslims want to kills us? :rolleyes:

Could it be that many in this country are egging on a holy war? Or could it be that our government has needlessly stirred up various hornets nests across the globe?

Or .also,, it could be that churches in this country are being manipulated by the same folks that are siring shit elsewhere.
:(

phill4paul
09-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Or .also,, it could be that churches in this country are being manipulated by the same folks that are siring shit elsewhere.

Sure they are. Militias are, in the best instance, more discerning in their member roles.

Religious institution? Phfft.

Political powers only shared the kingdom because of the peoples superstition. That and the understanding that a peoples BELIEF is the most powerful force in this world.

So they created two kingdoms. One on earth. One in the heaven.

The two are getting ready for a shot gun wedding.

BlackTerrel
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I wonder why some Muslims want to kills us? :rolleyes:

What are you saying in the context of this thread?

Because a random Church in Florida burns a Koran - Muslims want to kill Americans?

There are many Islamic nations where Christians face A LOT worse than their Bibles being burned and yet I have no desire to kill anyone.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=christian+persecution&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=christian+pers&gs_rfai=CR01Mg06FTOTVHqmsoASrq8msBgAAAKoEBU_Q4OiZ&fp=c77a88e585f4717d

tropicangela
09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Wwjd?

Knightskye
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
This is like people pouring bottles of French wine down the drain, except actually insulting.

silus
09-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Someone call Barnes and Nobles in Gainesville and tell them to stock up. Scratch that, i'll head down there myself and sell them for 30 bucks a pop, or 250 for a case. I would be guaranteed to sell out, otherwise there will be stacks and stacks of unburned books at a Koran burning festival. That would be a failure.

MelissaWV
09-06-2010, 05:05 PM

This church has had shitty attendance for quite some time. It never really got entirely full when I was a youngling, and it has seen fewer and fewer faces ever since. There have been issues like this in the past, usually having to do with homosexuals or whatever their cause du jour is... this one just happened to coincide with all the hysteria in the country. It's everyone capitalizing on everyone else. The signs that popped up in their lawn, reading "Islam is of the Devil," happen to have the same verbiage as the title of a new book. Fancy that! The Islamophobia has happened when the media wants to find instances of it because obviously it's a widespread hatred of Muslims that is overtaking our nation, and here's some examples. The church is getting publicity, and people are sending in all kinds of donations and copies of the Koran to add to the fire.

I doubt there's some higher-up conspiracy on this one. A nearly-empty church has found the spotlight for awhile, but there will probably be more media there than parishoners. The depressing thing is that this is a church within a neighborhood, surrounded by pine trees and lots of brush. I could see this bonfire getting out of hand mighty fast, and it'll be on their heads if it does. I hope the fire department nearby stations someone nearby. Of course, this was already given the thumbs down because of all the lying about using an incinerator and all, but as long as they're liable for all the damage this might cause, so be it.

This would have been such a non-event without the national media. Just another kooky pastor with a money-making idea.

It would suck to be stuck at home, unable to leave because of the media blocking the only road out of Mile Run/Rosemont, breathing in the nasty fumes from burning books. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

Oh and for those of you that lean that way, there's a stirring article on the website entitled "Islam is Cursed by Cursing Israel; we are Blessed by Blessing Israel."

Anti Federalist
09-06-2010, 05:10 PM

What, are you saying there is program to put churches and preachers in the employ of the fedgov?

What kind of moonbat, idiot, tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theory is that?

;)

Daamien
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
"Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people."
Heinrich Heine - Almansor 1821

Palm + Forehead.

Also, how much are these people spending to go out and buy a Quran just to burn it?

MelissaWV
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
This is the level of intelligence we're dealing with, and the nation is actually giving these folks some amount of credibility:

Ten Reasons to Burn a Koran

On 9/11/10 we are burning Korans to raise awareness and warn. In a sense it is neither an act of love nor of hate. We see, as we state in the Ten Reasons below, that Islam is a danger. We are using this act to warn about the teaching and ideology of Islam, which we do hate as it is hateful. We do not hate any people, however. We love, as God loves, all the people in the world and we want them to come to a knowledge of the truth. To warn of danger and harm is a loving act. God is love and truth. If you know the truth it can set you free. The world is in bondage to the massive grip of the lies of Islam. These are:

One

The Koran teaches that Jesus Christ, the Crucified, Risen Son of God, King of Kings and Lord of Lords was NOT the Son of God, nor was he crucified (a well documented historical fact that ONLY Islam denies). This teaching removes the possibility of salvation and eternal life in heaven for all Islam's believers. They face eternal damnation in hell if they do not repent.

Two

The Koran does not have an eternal origin. It is not recorded in heaven. The Almighty God, Creator of the World, is NOT it's source. It is not holy. It's writings are human in origin, a concoction of old and new teachings. This has been stated and restated for centuries by scholars since Islam's beginnings, both Moslem and non-Moslem.

Three

The Koran's teaching includes Arabian idolatry, paganism, rites and rituals. These are demonic, an ongoing satanic stronghold under which Moslems and the world suffer.

Four

The earliest writings that are known to exist about the Prophet Mohammad were recorded 120 years after his death. All of the Islamic writings (the Koran and the Hadith, the biographies, the traditions and histories) are confused, contradictory and inconsistent. Maybe Mohammad never existed. We have no conclusive account about what he said or did. Yet Moslems follow the destructive teachings of Islam without question.

Five

Mohammad's life and message cannot be respected. The first Meccan period of his leadership seems to have been religiously motivated and a search for the truth. But in the second Medina period he was "corrupted by power and worldly ambitions." (Ibn Warraq) These are characteristics that God hates. They also led to political assassinations and massacres which continue to be carried out on a regular basis by his followers today.

Six

Islamic Law is totalitarian in nature. There is no separation of church and state. It is irrational. It is supposedly immutable and cannot be changed. It must be accepted without criticism. It has many similarities to Nazism, Communism and Fascism. It is not compatible with Western Civilization.

Seven

Islam is not compatible with democracy and human rights. The notion of a moral individual capable of making decisions and taking responsibility for them does not exist in Islam. The attitude towards women in Islam as inferior possessions of men has led to countless cases of mistreatment and abuse for which Moslem men receive little or no punishment, and in many cases are encouraged to commit such acts, and are even praised for them. This is a direct fruit of the teachings of the Koran.

Eight

A Muslim does not have the right to change his religion. Apostasy is punishable by death.

Nine

Deep in the Islamic teaching and culture is the irrational fear and loathing of the West.

Ten

Islam is a weapon of Arab imperialism and Islamic colonialism. Wherever Islam has or gains political power, Christians, Jews and all non-Moslems receive persecution, discrimination, are forced to convert. There are massacres and churches, synagogues, temples and other places of worship are destroyed.

The bolding is mine, for emphasis as to why I feel these people are laughable. If I didn't know these guys were serious, I'd think it a satire pointing out the shortcomings of religious dogma/zealotry of any kind. One might consider rereading the Bible or a bit of Christian/Western history with the bolded segments in mind. This is not to bash Christianity, but it seems that the people who're thinking up this nonsense don't realize that there are bad apples of every sort hiding behind priestly robes. Even the Bible itself warns of that fact.

MelissaWV
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
"Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people."
Heinrich Heine - Almansor 1821

Palm + Forehead.

Also, how much are these people spending to go out and buy a Quran just to burn it?

Many of the Korans are being donated. The church itself just reaps the reward of publicity.

anaconda
09-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Ron Paul should hold his own event right next door!

MRK
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Planned Quran-burning could endanger troops, Petraeus warns

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/06/florida.quran.burning/index.html?hpt=T1

MelissaWV
09-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Next door is a neighborhood clubhouse, some townhomes, two big lots full of garbage pine, or some family houses. Not really much room for an event of any sort.

awake
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Who are the bright light bulbs behind this event? Christianity is a religion of peace and just war. This event promotes the direct opposite.

nate895
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree with these guys:

YouTube - The Original Burn the Quran Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91AM7665cbo&feature=player_embedded)

james1906
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Yes! Korean BBQ to counteract the Koran BBQ. Paulgogi for everyone!

BlackTerrel
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
What, are you saying there is program to put churches and preachers in the employ of the fedgov?

What kind of moonbat, idiot, tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theory is that?

;)

9 times out of 10 the obvious answer is the correct one rather than the conspiracy. See the post right above yours #17.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with these guys:

YouTube - The Original Burn the Quran Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91AM7665cbo&feature=player_embedded)

LoL :D

The sheep ate the verses concerning breastfeeding an adult and stoning.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
9 times out of 10 the obvious answer is the correct one rather than the conspiracy. See the post right above yours #17.

My reply to Pete was sarcastic.

I do not know what the motivating force is behind this church's actions.

I do know that the feds have recruited pastors across the country to tell their people to comply with government orders in times of emergency.

fj45lvr
09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I heard that the event is being underwrited by some Military contractors (GE and Haliburton to name just a few) LOL

Wren
09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/KevlarPaperclip/double-facepalm.jpg

libertybrewcity
09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
sad sad day when this happens. I hope the Muslims hold a bible burning near by!

Minuteman2012
09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
sad sad day when this happens. I hope the Muslims hold a bible burning near by!

That would make them America hating terrorists committing violent acts. No doubt the media would give it full coverage and leading republicans like Palin and Gingrich would call for federal investigations into the instigators of the event.

RonPaulwillWin
09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Somebody should show up on a horse dressed up as indiana jones.

crazyfacedjenkins
09-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree with these guys:

Fucking funny

crazyfacedjenkins
09-07-2010, 02:33 AM
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-29/us/florida.burn.quran.day_1_american-muslims-religion-cair-spokesman-ibrahim-hooper?_s=PM:US

Someone should troll the shit out of this, tinfoil hats and all. Expose these nimrods for the kooks they are.

awake
09-07-2010, 05:04 AM
David Petraeus said a church's Quran-burning "is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses".

Just like the mosgue episode The Neocons need events like this to keep the wars justifiable. War is an unnatural state, it takes constant agitation to keep it going.

silus
09-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Way to support the troops. Make the enemy believe this really is a holy war.

PatriotOne
09-07-2010, 06:07 AM
What? This church sounds more like Scientology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_World_Outreach_Center

The church also maintains a Dove World Outreach Academy in Gainesville, in which students are prohibited from outside contact and work without compensation in selling, packing and shipping of furniture for TS and Company

torchbearer
09-07-2010, 06:09 AM

lynn

oh, i believe they can burn their own property as much as they want, i just find it funny that these same people would be screaming murder is a bunch of muslims were burning bibles.

torchbearer
09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
some wise guy once said, "do onto others as you would have them do onto you" or some crap like that.
do you think these people know who i am talking about?

tjeffersonsghost
09-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Why is everyone making a big deal about this dude burning a Koran? Let the guy do it, he's not physically hurting anyone by doing it. If the Muslims feelings are hurt because of it who cares? Im for the Mosque going up for the same reasons I am for this guy burning Korans if he wants to.

You either have freedom or you dont, just so long as your freedoms dont infringe on the freedoms of others. I dont see Koran burnings infringing on anyones freedoms and if peoples feelings get hurt then I dont know what else to say. We need to be a little less PC in our nation.

nate895
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Why is everyone making a big deal about this dude burning a Koran? Let the guy do it, he's not physically hurting anyone by doing it. If the Muslims feelings are hurt because of it who cares? Im for the Mosque going up for the same reasons I am for this guy burning Korans if he wants to.

You either have freedom or you dont, just so long as your freedoms dont infringe on the freedoms of others. I dont see Koran burnings infringing on anyones freedoms and if peoples feelings get hurt then I dont know what else to say. We need to be a little less PC in our nation.

Personally, I really do not care if they burn their own property if they want to; that is their business. The thing that makes me concerned is that these people claim to be Christians, and so it is making Christians look like ignoramuses. The average Christian pastor would sooner read a Qur'an than burn one. All this is doing is arbitrarily offending Muslims because there is no good reason to burn a Qur'an.

tjeffersonsghost
09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Personally, I really do not care if they burn their own property if they want to; that is their business. The thing that makes me concerned is that these people claim to be Christians, and so it is making Christians look like ignoramuses. The average Christian pastor would sooner read a Qur'an than burn one. All this is doing is arbitrarily offending Muslims because there is no good reason to burn a Qur'an.

Sadly it's nothing new. Many of these so called Christians here in the south are quite the opposite. I agree Jesus did teach compassion and forgivness and the irony is the Muslim religion actually pays homage to Jesus as a great man which is more than I can say for Judaism but you could never convince these morons of this. My point is that I feel the mosque should go up if they want to and they shouldnt care what people think. These people should burn the books if they want to and shouldnt care what people think. Neither case anyones freedoms arent being infringed on, no one is stopping people from practicing Islam by burning them just like no one is preventing Judaism or Christianity by the mosque going up.

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 08:42 AM

It's not "a Koran" and it's not "a guy." Of course, if it were just the church doing this via a bonfire one day without the national media having made it into such a big deal, no one would care other than the people living in that neighborhood who'd have to be inhaling the lovely smoke created by burning paper and ink and mass-market book materials, and deal with the potential for being trapped by fire cutting off the only way out of the neighborhood.

It's funny seeing the conspiracies flurry about, too. I already talked about the motivation behind this, and it's far more petty than people are giving them credit for. This place has always been a bit off-kilter, but they used to be far quieter about it and be less of a public pain in the ass. They have a weird martyrdom complex at that church. Their signs were vandalized and they took it all seriously, even though they're located in a neighborhood with plenty of teens who would have vandalized their silly signs regardless of what they said. When we lived there, our house got toilet-papered once; it must have been the work of racists or misogynists or something!

I don't think anyone in this thread has said they don't have a right to burn their own property, or the property of others with their consent, but we all have a right to think these guys are batshit insane and looking for publicity, which is all that this is. Sex sells, but when you're a church you're very limited in being able to use that... so you go to what's next: Fear/Hate sells, too.

tropicangela
09-07-2010, 10:14 AM
riots in afghanistan and indonesia - ground zero mosque and insensitivity mention

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2010/09/muslims-in-indonesia-afghanistan-riot-over-koran-burning-in-fla.html

wizardwatson
09-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Wwjd?

Well, Jesus was kind of a peace-loving hippy for the most part (aside from the freak-out with the money changers). Don't think he'd approve of this.

I mean this isn't even a traditional book-burning, where they're burning it because they think its evil, its to "send a message". LOL

To me its like a group of people getting together and shouting N-Word profusely in order to protest racism.

You protest religious intolerance by demonstrating religious tolerance, not by showing the other guy that you can be a dick too.

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
riots in afghanistan and indonesia - ground zero mosque and insensitivity mention

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2010/09/muslims-in-indonesia-afghanistan-riot-over-koran-burning-in-fla.html

And if the media hadn't picked this up, none of those people would have known or cared about it, trust me. It would have been a few dozen folks on a lawn burning a half dozen Korans. At most, it would have gotten a mention after the fact when residents dialed 9-1-1 for the fire department.

*sighs*

tremendoustie
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
some wise guy once said, "do onto others as you would have them do onto you" or some crap like that.
do you think these people know who i am talking about?

Sounds like some sort of hippie turrurist.

Now, back to burning books and advocating mass bombings middle easterners. I need to finish before bible study.

KCIndy
09-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Sex sells, but when you're a church you're very limited in being able to use that... so you go to what's next: Fear/Hate sells, too.

Hmm... maybe we could stop all this nonsense by starting a church that features lots of sex? :cool:

Baptist
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
It's not "a Koran" and it's not "a guy." Of course, if it were just the church doing this via a bonfire one day without the national media having made it into such a big deal, no one would care other than the people living in that neighborhood who'd have to be inhaling the lovely smoke created by burning paper and ink and mass-market book materials, and deal with the potential for being trapped by fire cutting off the only way out of the neighborhood.

Yeah, the media is trying to stoke this as much as they can. The media would love for this to infuriate Muslims to the point that property is damaged or people die. And if that happens, I blame the media for it. There is no reason for any outlet outside of the local newspaper to cover this story.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Nobody thinks the guy doesn't have a right to do it - he does have a right and I would oppose anyone that would try to stop him.

Having said that - this "Pastor" is an idiot.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the media is trying to stoke this as much as they can. The media would love for this to infuriate Muslims to the point that property is damaged or people die. And if that happens, I blame the media for it. There is no reason for any outlet outside of the local newspaper to cover this story.

I wouldn't. I would blame the idiots that resorted to violence.

I am pretty sure at some point this year some Klansman will burn a Cross somewhere. I am also pretty sure it won't cause me to lash out and physically attack a random person.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Nobody thinks the guy doesn't have a right to do it - he does have a right and I would oppose anyone that would try to stop him.

Having said that - this "Pastor" is an idiot.

Correct .

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
heh. They just showed the church and vans. I never noticed how much disrepair it was all in. Their sign is messed up, at least one of their vans is, and the big cross is broken, too. The local news also detailed the fact that the police will be blocking off the "street in front of the church" at 5:30pm and carding everyone going by to try to curtail any violence. That sucks for the families that have to use that road to get in and out of the neighborhood. There's a Gator game going on, and I guess if you go out you should plan on staying out, lest you not be able to get home at all. I will be steering clear of 53rd, because I'm guessing the traffic will spill back that way. I hope the Hunter's Crossing Publix has plenty of extra people working, because news crews get hungry, and so do the New Black Panthers and the other groups that are going to descend on the area.

All this for what would have been an utter non-event.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
heh. They just showed the church and vans. I never noticed how much disrepair it was all in. Their sign is messed up, at least one of their vans is, and the big cross is broken, too. The local news also detailed the fact that the police will be blocking off the "street in front of the church" at 5:30pm and carding everyone going by to try to curtail any violence. That sucks for the families that have to use that road to get in and out of the neighborhood. There's a Gator game going on, and I guess if you go out you should plan on staying out, lest you not be able to get home at all. I will be steering clear of 53rd, because I'm guessing the traffic will spill back that way. I hope the Hunter's Crossing Publix has plenty of extra people working, because news crews get hungry, and so do the New Black Panthers and the other groups that are going to descend on the area.

All this for what would have been an utter non-event.

Where I am from , there are no churches of any kind in disrepair . The small churches on the poorer side of town are still all very well kept . This is done by the people who attend or live in the area .

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Where I am from , there are no churches of any kind in disrepair . The small churches on the poorer side of town are still all very well kept . This is done by the people who attend or live in the area .

That has been my point: this church was never really popular. It has been even less so up until all this magical publicity. Their coffers were empty, but I am sure there are donors popping up from all over based on this one issue (without reading all the other tripe on their site). What I saw on the news report merely confirms my suspicions. The pastor/author has also been all over these reports. I wonder how many copies that book would have sold without this publicity?

They and their parishoners are responsible for the upkeep of that property. The neighborhood is responsible for the upkeep of the townhomes, houses, club house, pool, and other facilities on the other side of the road :p

oyarde
09-07-2010, 03:41 PM
that has been my point: This church was never really popular. It has been even less so up until all this magical publicity. Their coffers were empty, but i am sure there are donors popping up from all over based on this one issue (without reading all the other tripe on their site). What i saw on the news report merely confirms my suspicions. The pastor/author has also been all over these reports. I wonder how many copies that book would have sold without this publicity?

They and their parishoners are responsible for the upkeep of that property. The neighborhood is responsible for the upkeep of the townhomes, houses, club house, pool, and other facilities on the other side of the road :p

well , i wish this guy could have found another fundraiser .

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
"No Fly Zone" for a two-mile radius around Dove World Outreach on that Saturday. If you plan on being air-lifted to Shands, please take note.

bruce leeroy
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't. I would blame the idiots that resorted to violence.

I am pretty sure at some point this year some Klansman will burn a Cross somewhere. I am also pretty sure it won't cause me to lash out and physically attack a random person.

they arent cross burnings anymore, they are "illuminations"

tjeffersonsghost
09-07-2010, 04:20 PM
"No Fly Zone" for a two-mile radius around Dove World Outreach on that Saturday. If you plan on being air-lifted to Shands, please take note.

You kidding?

oyarde
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Hmm... maybe we could stop all this nonsense by starting a church that features lots of sex? :cool:

lol

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Could it be that many in this country are egging on a holy war?

The media?

And if the media hadn't picked this up, none of those people would have known or cared about it, trust me. It would have been a few dozen folks on a lawn burning a half dozen Korans. At most, it would have gotten a mention after the fact when residents dialed 9-1-1 for the fire department.

*sighs*

Yep. What the media chooses to report on and to knowingly exclude is not random. Does anything really happen if the media doesn't report it?

Reason
09-07-2010, 04:46 PM
YouTube - 'Burn the Quran Day' protest: Terry Jones effigy set on fire in Afghanistan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lne0NoxEoz8)

MelissaWV
09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
You kidding?

Not at all. Just heard it on the news, but I can't find it online. They also gave membership numbers for the church: three dozen or so. I've seen other numbers, to be fair, that put membership at around 50. That's it, seriously. This is not some mega-church, or even a local church with hundreds of members. This is a teeny little church in a neighborhood area. There will be more media people there than parishoners.

There is more to consider, here, that makes me think this is all a publicity stunt:

Jones said he understands the military's concerns but plans to go forward with the burning.

He left the door open to change his mind, however, saying that he is still praying about his decision.

And there's also this...

He said the threats are intimidating, but he won't cancel the event. He and other church staff members have armed themselves, he said. The threats may keep supporters away, he said, and just how many people will be there is unknown.

"We were expecting several hundred people," Jones said, "but as you realize, there's a tremendous amount of fear involved with this event, so it's hard to say how many people will show up. We have actually no intention of backing out."

It's also interesting to look back and find old articles on Dove World (this lists membership at 80, but it was in July so perhaps some people had the good sense to leave?):

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090723/ARTICLES/907231043?p=2&tc=pg

New sign for Dove church: For sale
The 20-acre property is being listed for sale for $4 million.
By Megan Rolland
Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 10:32 p.m.

The northwest Gainesville location of the Dove World Outreach Center - which houses not only the controversial church but also an eBay furniture company - is up for sale, with an asking price of $4 million.

The 20-acre property was listed on June 12 and includes 17,000 square feet of conditioned space with a chapel or meeting space, a second building with an industrial kitchen and a one-bedroom apartment where Terry and Sylvia Jones - the current pastors - now reside.

The church is located at 5805 N.W. 37th St.

Terry and Sylvia Jones were not immediately available to answer questions about why the church is being sold.

The apartment is described as 1,500 square feet of "luxury quarters."

According to property records, the church is owned by the nonprofit Dove Charismatic Ministries LLC, of which Terry Jones is the principal.

The Dove World Outreach Center drew protests earlier this month after erecting a sign stating "Islam is of the devil" on the church's property. That sign has been replaced with three smaller signs stating the same message.

The Sun reported Sunday that former worshipers under Terry and Sylvia Jones are accusing the pastors of using "volunteer" church labor to operate an eBay furniture sales company for personal profit.

Jones said there are about 80 members in the church at this time and that the profits from the company go toward paying the mortgage on the church.

Does anyone still doubt there's a big huge idiotic publicity stunt at the heart of this? Good job, America; you fell for it. :rolleyes:

oyarde
09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Not at all. Just heard it on the news, but I can't find it online. They also gave membership numbers for the church: three dozen or so. I've seen other numbers, to be fair, that put membership at around 50. That's it, seriously. This is not some mega-church, or even a local church with hundreds of members. This is a teeny little church in a neighborhood area. There will be more media people there than parishoners.

There is more to consider, here, that makes me think this is all a publicity stunt:

And there's also this...

It's also interesting to look back and find old articles on Dove World (this lists membership at 80, but it was in July so perhaps some people had the good sense to leave?):

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090723/ARTICLES/907231043?p=2&tc=pg

Does anyone still doubt there's a big huge idiotic publicity stunt at the heart of this? Good job, America; you fell for it. :rolleyes:

Yes , why do they not sell cookies , have a donation dinner and wash cars like everybody else ?

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 06:56 PM

I've tried to look into them online and everything I've read is backed up by your experiences of living near them.

These guys are the fringe of the fringe. Even the "mainstream Islamophobic Churches" are staying away from these guys.

They are about as relevant as the God Hates **** crew who are shunned by the "mainstream homophobic Churches".

Working Poor
09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I wish the media would report something that would actually bring us together instead of this hate mongering crap.

It is just wrong on so many levels. It is dividing our country and it makes me very sad.

oyarde
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I wish the media would report something that would actually bring us together instead of this hate mongering crap.

It is just wrong on so many levels. It is dividing our country and it makes me very sad.

Sounds good to me .

Working Poor
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
How dare they call us fringe? I am so glad Ron spoke out against all this nonsence.

BlackTerrel
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Has this really divided the country? This has been condemned by everyone pretty much.

Can you name one person that supports it?

MelissaWV
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.wcjb.com/news/7526/dove-media-frenzy

Notice that there are now more media trucks than there are parishoners of the church. The police are going to block off the streets in the area, yep, and there's already a cop or two there all day and (I guess?) all night. At least someone's having a good time with this: they seem to be issuing a rash of speeding tickets in the neighborhood at the traffic circle.