PDA

View Full Version : Report on RP Rally at RNC Fundraiser Yesterday

robatsu
10-17-2007, 07:57 AM
The original report is here (http://robatsu.blogspot.com/2007/10/stone-soup_16.html). Text is also below.
Stone Soup
by Jay Roberts

Ron Paul spoke tonight to a $1k per person RNC fundraiser in the National Building Museum. As is now customary for any event Dr. Paul attends, a call went out on meetups, mailing lists for an impromptu rally. So I found myself exiting the Judiciary Metro station a little before 6 pm on a gorgeously clear DC fall day, the kind that makes up for the close summers and dreary winters here.

Getting to the Museum, a building occupying a whole block, I don't see any Paul scruffians. I circle the building, somewhat self-conscious about being a loner with a sign on the busy DC streets. Eventually, I run into Steve and Joe. This is it, just the three of us and two Ron Paul signs, mine and Steve's. We make small talk to get acquainted.

Steve, a psychotherapist, coaches troubled youths with sort of a libertarian philosophy, not telling them what to do, just suggesting, letting them learn for themselves what to do and when to ask for guidance. He had been somehow involved in promoting the rally and seems a bit apprehensive at how many people will show up. I say don't worry, no matter how many people show up, we already outnumber the supporters of all the other candidates combined, which remains zero for the evening.

A fellow named Carey (sp.?), proud father of a two year old boy, shows up. We position our little band at the entry of the drive up, limos and busses pulling in, us waving signs. Occasionally we are treated to a shout out from a car passing by, "whoo hoo, go Paul". These responses energize and encourage us. Joe and Carey say they are going to take a hike around the building looking for others.

Eric pulls up in a car driven by a woman and introduces himself. We wave signs some more and speculate about who is behind the tinted windows of the shiny limos and what they think of us and our signs. A couple more Paulians arrive with some custom printouts of Giuliani's and other candidate's quotes on the war, more yard signs start hovering over the group. After some discussion, it's determined that the best spot for handouts was down the block at the steps where some vehicles were discharging their passengers. As material is handed out at the steps, more Paul supporters trickle in and congregate there.

A bit more time goes by, and Ron Paul emerges from the Museum and joins the group at the steps. Steve and I head over, Dr. Paul autographs both of our signs. He poses for a picture with the team, which is about twenty at this point. I get the impression that he would love to spend more time, but his aides all but bodily carry him away to his obligations inside. I see somebody with a video cam, perhaps recording for a future youtube production.

We continue to wave signs, engage entrants and other passersby. Some slim jims materialize. A fellow I recall from the Robert Taft Club speech exercises a natural gift for handing these out while getting complete strangers to promise that they will at least consider a vote for Paul. He seems to bat nearly a thousand at this. DC Bradley walks up with two miniature greyhounds and some other supporters that had been on the other side of the building. Having achieved his goal of getting Ron Paul signatures on some recipe books to be auctioned off, he is deeply into plans on how to get delegate candidates on the DC ballot.

We wave and support some more. Don Rasmussen of the official campaign comes outside for a smoke, shares good news about a recent trip to South Carolina, remarking that he now has a different perspective on Lincoln after this trip to Dixie. A boisterous contingent of five or six George Mason students arrive, disappointed that Ron Paul has come and gone already, but nonetheless gleeful to be participating. Don offers everyone specifics about how they can help out at the campaign headquarters over in Arlington.

A counterdemonstrator joins the show, setting up shop about twenty feet away. He has a sign with a swastika next to Paul's name, shouting that Paul supporters are racists. The group decides to ignore the heckler mostly, free speech advocates that we are, but a few mild comments are directed his way by Don and others. I mention that I'm in an interracial marriage, have a mixed race son, and leave it at that.

Things start winding down, most who are going inside are now inside. A chat with the George Mason students reveals that most of their fellow students either support Ron Paul or are apathetic and uninformed. I share my belief that college student support for Paul is invaluable beyond merely the votes, that the energy and idealism of youth paired with Paul's message is beginning to make an impression on open minds across the nation and within the party.

Our work appears to be done and I take leave of the ebbing rally.

Chris, the one man Montgomery County campaign tsunami, and I amble back to the Metro station, two old guys with fresh dreams. The sun has set and the windows of the National Building Museum twinkle in the darkness and the descending calm. We linger at the top of the station escalator, talking a bit about the Paul campaign and a pair of articles I recently wrote for lewrockwell.com.

We ride the escalator down. I board a train towards Glenmont, Chris in the direction of Shady Grove, and suddenly I'm alone again, wondering what the passengers think of me and my sign. They give no clue.

lloydian
10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
thanks for this report

angelatc
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Chris, the one man Montgomery County campaign tsunami, and I amble back to the Metro station, two old guys with fresh dreams.

Awesome. Brought tears to my eyes.

Lord Xar
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
hmmm, so some "dude" shows up with a swastika sign.. nice. I "WONDER" truly wonder who he supports - both politically and culturally.

robatsu
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
hmmm, so some "dude" shows up with a swastika sign.. nice. I "WONDER" truly wonder who he supports - both politically and culturally.

Well, he was togged out like a trustafarian, but he seemed to most of us like he might have a mental problem. Seriously, that's not just hyperbole.

Primbs
10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
He looked like an anarchist. He was so inconsequential. There were twenty of us, and one of him. Most people didn't even notice, or they might think he was with us.

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
It was good meeting you too. (FYI, I was there about 5.30 on the south side where Paul and Giuliani entered, and yes, very much focused on the delegate candidate question right now :o )

robatsu
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
yes, very much focused on the delegate candidate question right now :o )

I should have mentioned that you are especially looking for women residents of DC that have been registered Republican since September. I didn't, so I'm doing it now.

angelatc
10-18-2007, 06:45 AM
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Jy5v3oCVYP0J:dc.indymedia.org/feature/display/131110/index.php+%22Ron+Paul%22+gop+dinner&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Did you see these folks? :)

robatsu
10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:Jy5v3oCVYP0J:dc.indymedia.org/feature/display/131110/index.php+%22Ron+Paul%22+gop+dinner&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Did you see these folks? :)

That must have been the lone nutty looking guy - he seemed like he would have been at home with these people. If he was all the crowd they could muster, not to worry about these folks, all blow, no go.

MsDoodahs
10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
He looked like an anarchist. He was so inconsequential. There were twenty of us, and one of him. Most people didn't even notice, or they might think he was with us.

WTF does that mean, "he looked like an anarchist."

Just how do us anarchists look?

:p

Birdlady
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
It was a provocateur. No doubt.