PDA

View Full Version : Government to demolish woman's house because she is a "hoarder"

Matt Collins
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
This one is interesting...

http://www.fox4now.com/global/story.asp?S=13100488&clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

Golding
09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Must be kinda creepy living with your dead grandmother's body decaying right next to you.

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Being in the pest business, I can tell you I get the occassional hoarder who has severe rodent problems. The only solution is to get rid of all the junk, which they will never do. They talk like they will, but it's BS. I walk away after I refer them to a company I don't like.

Then, there are the neighbors who have to deal with the rodents invading their home because of the huge population breeding at the hoarder's house next door. The help these people really need is not from the pest company. They need a combination of a psychiatrist and the GOTJUNK guys.

angelatc
09-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Then, there are the neighbors who have to deal with the rodents invading their home because of the huge population breeding at the hoarder's house next door. The help these people really need is not from the pest company. They need a combination of a psychiatrist and the GOTJUNK guys.

Yes, its really sad. I remember living in Florida, and there was a woman who was obviously a hoarder. She had newspapers stacked up all over her yard, the porch...I can only imagine what the inside of her house looked like.

I never saw anybody visit her .:(

Inkblots
09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, its really sad. I remember living in Florida, and there was a woman who was obviously a hoarder. She had newspapers stacked up all over her yard, the porch...I can only imagine what the inside of her house looked like.

I never saw anybody visit her .:(

The spectre of mental illness is indeed sad.

And as was pointed out above, hoarders who refuse to deal with their pest infestations are violating the property rights of their neighbors in a very real way. This story is a sad tale of disease, not a violation of liberty.

Knightskye
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Odor... property rights... something, something.

Kregisen
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
The spectre of mental illness is indeed sad.

And as was pointed out above, hoarders who refuse to deal with their pest infestations are violating the property rights of their neighbors in a very real way. This story is a sad tale of disease, not a violation of liberty.

But do you as a homeowner have the right to demand your neighbor makes sure their property is clean?

legion
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM
But do you as a homeowner have the right to demand your neighbor makes sure their property is clean?

I don't have any answer.

Conversely, does a homeowner have a right to demand I do not buy one of these and point it at their house?

http://www.mashbus.com/images/searchlight_old/searchlight1.gif

Questions like these help me justify being a perpetual renter.

Inkblots
09-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Yes, if the pollution, odors, and pests from their property are entering my own. If that is the case, I am within my rights to use the force of law to protect my own property rights, which will entail either them complying with an injunction to clean their property or else suffering civil penalties up to the forfeiture of their own property.

james1906
09-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, if the pollution, odors, and pests from their property are entering my own. If that is the case, I am within my rights to use the force of law to protect my own property rights, which will entail either them complying with an injunction to clean their property or else suffering civil penalties up to the forfeiture of their own property.

This. Have all the crack and gay sex you want on your property. Just watch the smell and keep the noise down.

Matt Collins
09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
This. Have all the crack and gay sex you want on your property. Just watch the smell and keep the noise down.
Smoking crack is noisy? :confused:

james1906
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Smoking crack is noisy? :confused:

I was referring to the sex part.

heavenlyboy34
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Problem is, you don't own the air.

RedStripe
09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
What if you build a bomb large enough to blow up the whole block, were it to explode by accident?

I don't think property rights should be absolutes. They are very useful and important in promoting a just society in many ways... but they shouldn't become an obstacle to very ends they generally serve. There's not easy answer to a lot of situations, but I generally don't have a problem with rules against noise/light pollution etc.

Andrew-Austin
09-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Must be kinda creepy living with your dead grandmother's body decaying right next to you.

Okay I'm too lazy to follow the link in the OP, but just reading this I think tells me enough to not have a problem with it. Hoarding is a serious problem, television has taught me that, and this case sounds most extreme. Insane people who bother their neighbors can have their property rights violated.

Problem is, you don't own the air.

Right..... No.

People do own the air connected to their property, so says common sense.

RedStripe
09-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Okay I'm too lazy to follow the link in the OP, but just reading this I think tells me enough to not have a problem with it. Hoarding is a serious problem, television has taught me that, and this case sounds most extreme. Insane people who bother their neighbors can have their property rights violated.

Right..... No.

People do own the air connected to their property, so says common sense.

Do airplanes violate your property rights when they fly overhead?

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Do airplanes violate your property rights when they fly overhead?

Depends.

Are they low enough to cause excessive noise pollution? Then yes. That is why Seatac Airport is paying for new soundproof insulation in the homes of all residents in the vicinity as part of a court settlement.

Are they sending exhaust fumes into my breathable air? Then yes. That is why aircraft must stay above a certain level.

These things are subjective and that is why juries are the method our founders decided on for resolving disputes.

RedStripe
09-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Depends.

Are they low enough to cause excessive noise pollution? Then yes. That is why Seatac Airport is paying for new soundproof insulation in the homes of all residents in the vicinity as part of a court settlement.

Are they sending exhaust fumes into my breathable air? Then yes. That is why aircraft must stay above a certain level.

These things are subjective and that is why juries are the method our founders decided on for resolving disputes.

Agreed. Juries are pretty awesome, usually.

I wonder if juries go back into their deliberation room and perform some sacred ritual to summon the spirit of John Locke or God to determine what the absolutist conception of natural "property rights" should be in these cases.... Or maybe they just take a common sense, utilitarian approach.

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Agreed. Juries are pretty awesome, usually.

I wonder if juries go back into their deliberation room and perform some sacred ritual to summon the spirit of John Locke or God to determine what the absolutist conception of natural "property rights" should be in these cases.... Or maybe they just take a common sense, utilitarian approach.

Seriously, you've never been summoned to jury duty?

I've been summoned 4 times, and actually served once. It's pretty mundane really. You listen to the arguments, and use a little common sense. Sometimes you have to hammer some common sense into the other jurors who are too well programmed.