PDA

View Full Version : Libertarianism and Hitchhiker's Guide

South Park Fan
09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
It seems like, based on the avatars of RPF members, that there is a lot of crossover between libertarians and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I have always thought it was an amusing series, but are underlying libertarian messages prominent in the series, or is it just a result of the nerdiness that overlaps both groups. I can think of the irony of demolishing Earth to build a bypass, the hyperbureaucracy of the Vogons, the President of the Galaxy being a figure head instead of the one man who actually does rule the universe (even though he doesn't realize it), it's satire of copyright laws through the use of time travel, and the robots on the Krikkit planet manipulating their people into war with the rest of the universe. Are there any other themes I may have missed?

BuddyRey
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are two major staples of geekdom that I have yet to experience, among others.

torchbearer
09-05-2010, 07:52 PM
hitchkiker's guide is satire, poking fun at the stupidity of british rule and most modern government in general.

Vessol
09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are two major staples of geekdom that I have yet to experience, among others.

How can you live with yourself?

hitchkiker's guide is satire, poking fun at the stupidity of british rule and most modern government in general.

Don't forget organized religion.

KCIndy
09-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Don't forget organized religion.

Hey! Watch it!

Sincerely,

The Great Green Arkleseizure

Bman
09-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Seriously!

Uriel999
09-06-2010, 01:12 AM

my god man! do yourself a favor and read the Guide! I read the first book in under 2 hours and was hooked.

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2010, 09:56 AM
just a result of the nerdiness that overlaps both groups.

You answered your own question. Awesome series! ;)

pcosmar
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Nerdness Overlap.

I heard the Guide on radio first, (while in prison) Then read the books. Great series, pokes fun at everything.
Watched the movie,,not as good as the book, but better than expected.

Hobbit/LOTR, Have read the whole series and the Silmarillion.
Great series.
I think the movies were well done, but the books are much better.

nayjevin
09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Those books helped me appreciate the grand scheme value of a towel. See you at the apocalypse my micro-fibered friend.

specsaregood
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM

I didn't really care for either. But I do like the line, "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

BuddyRey
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM

I know, right? I've always been interested in checking them out but got a bit intimidated by the size and depth of the two books' respective literary universes. In the case of LoTR, I don't know if I'm supposed to read Fellowship first, or start at the beginning of the story with The Hobbit. Like when someone calls the first Star Wars movie Star Wars Part IV...that just confuses the crap out of me. :eek:

BlackSand
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Loved the books and just watched the movie again last night. I dont know if its libertarian. But it certainly does point out some obvious absurdities of government. Also, I think you can read anything with a libertarian bias. There are few books that I can read and not think "Oh this guy must be libertarian!" Like Firefly. Joss Whedon isnt a libertarian, he even said that he wouldnt get along with Malcom Reynolds because of his politics.

LoTR...how can live with yourself? Go watch it NOW!

specsaregood
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
LoTR...how can live with yourself? Go watch it NOW!

This about sums it up in my opinion:
YouTube - Clerks 2 LOTR Vs. Star Wars scene - good quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-gS9AqM)

LOL @ "Even the trees walked in those movies"

The Dude
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I grew up with Hitchikers and LOTR. I guess it makes sense.

pcosmar
09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I know, right? I've always been interested in checking them out but got a bit intimidated by the size and depth of the two books' respective literary universes. In the case of LoTR, I don't know if I'm supposed to read Fellowship first, or start at the beginning of the story with The Hobbit. Like when someone calls the first Star Wars movie Star Wars Part IV...that just confuses the crap out of me. :eek:
Start with The Hobbit.

p.s. I am a small man with hair on my toes.
:)

BuddyRey
09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Start with The Hobbit.

p.s. I am a small man with hair on my toes.
:)

Awesome! Thanks!

Knowing where to start is a big step forward. :)

Knightskye
09-06-2010, 04:43 PM
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Promontorium
09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I was absolutely disapointed by the fifth book Mostly Harmless. Mostly because it completely ignored all the previous books. It's been 10 years since i've read those books but I could still bring up a list of slights. First and foremost the entire plot of book 3 Life The Universe And Everything was to change the Hitchhiker's Guide to no longer just say "Mostly Harmless" and was instead have a detailed report on humans. The fifth book just wiped that out.

Then it proceeded to wipe out book 4 So Long And Thanks For All the Fish which was my favorite book, it was so beautiful and loving and should have ended the series. Arthur finshed book 4 with a loving woman and started book 5 inexplicably single, a daughter that came from nowhere, and suddenly a crush he had on Trillion in book 1 took his love's place.

Oh yeah. Forgot where I was for a moment. I'll spare the 20+ more criticisms I have of book 5.

I came across those books because I spent so much time in libraries. I don't think it's political.

I would also like to say I think the LOTR movies are equally as good as the books in their own medium, though tie goes to the originator.

Uriel999
09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
YouTube - Clerks 2 LOTR Vs. Star Wars scene - good quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sc-gS9AqM)

nice! even the trees walked in those movies! :D

Uriel999
09-07-2010, 01:06 AM

damnt you made me start watching clerks 2 again.

RonPaulwillWin
09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
^^ same here!

Vessol
09-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I never understood geekdom vs geekdom. I like both Star Wars and LotR, Star Trek too. Can't we all just get along? Lol

And they've watched those movies way less then I have. For each of the LotR movies besides Fellowship I've seen at least 10 times each. I've probably watched the Fellowship of the Ring 25 times. The good majority of those is that I find the movie incredibly relaxing and watch it whenever I'm having trouble falling asleep. The first half with its awesome scenes from in the Shire and Bree, I'm often asleep by the time they reach Rivendale. I also do this with Studio Ghibli movies such as My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. Easy movies to watch and fall asleep to.

RonPaulwillWin
09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
We should all set up a date to watch HHGTT on ustream, make funny chat comments, drink beers and geek out.

Brian Defferding
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Bumping this old thread. I think Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is better atheist Libertarian literature than any Ayn Rand book. Just like what has been said already in this thread, such as the lumbering, slow, cumbersome and confusing bureaucracy of Vogons, the President not actually ruling the galaxy but rather is just a PR figurehead, it also shows that Earth was not created by God, but by free-enterprise capitalists; and organized religion is rather silly, with the ultimate meaning of the book (to me) saying that in the end there is no singular ultimate meaning of life that applies to everyone as a whole. Also, to laugh and realize life should not be taken so damn serious :)

Tinnuhana
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
I was thinking about HHG the other day when there was a report about Neanderthal genes present in modern humans. There were the humans part of the original experiment which always came up with the answer "42" and then there were the descendants of the phone sanitizers/manicurists which landed, destroyed the experiment and multiplied to take over the earth. That would make Neanderthals the natural humans, I guess if you want to stretch the analogy.

DeadheadForPaul
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

The Hobbit > LOTR

you should read LOTR and then check out the films though

georgiaboy
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
. Also, to laugh and realize life should not be taken so damn serious :)

This sums it up for me. And above all, Don't Panic.

Madly_Sane
01-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Those books helped me appreciate the grand scheme value of a towel. See you at the apocalypse my micro-fibered friend.

+1

specsaregood
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
damnt you made me start watching clerks 2 again.

I just had to watch it again after discovering over the holidays that my cousin in law had "one ring to rule them all" inscribed on his wedding ring and "my precious" on his fiance's.