PDA

View Full Version : Gun dealer sentenced to 6-months for selling weapons to a undocumented immigrant.

lynnf
09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
undocumented? HE HAD A FRIGGIN TEXAS DRIVER LICENSE!

http://www.590klbj.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1272077

One of the gun dealers of Austin's Gun Show is sentenced to 6-months at a federal work camp for selling a weapon to an undocumented immigrant. Independent firearms dealer-Paul Copeland says for years he has commonly sold handguns and antique weapons with no problems and prior to his arrest the illegal immigrant showed him what appeared to be a valid Texas driver’s license.

also --

http://www.infowars.com/feds-convict-texan-for-selling-a-gun-to-illegal-alien-with-texas-drivers-license/

In a trial before Federal Judge Sam Sparks, government lawyers conceded Texas resident Paul Copeland did not know his buyer was an illegal alien, but the jury they should convict him anyway because he “had reasonable cause to believe” he was selling to an illegal alien because the two men and a boy who were present at his table at the time of the sale: 1) were Hispanic, 2) spoke Spanish, and 3) wore cowboy clothing. And the jury did as asked.

Zippyjuan
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
what appeared to be a valid Texas driver’s license

The article says an "alleged" driver's license. You can get fake ones too. Teens do it to get into bars or buy alcohol. Criminals can to get a fake ID.

Three Indicted In Sale Of Texas Driver’s Licenses To Illegal Immigrants

Two DPS employees and a gas station manager have been indicted in what authorities say was a scheme to sell Texas driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants for $3,000 each.
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/101921393.html

Sales of weapons in the US are supposedly helping arm the drug cartels in Mexico. That is why they are trying to crack down on such sales- gunshows are believed to be a major source since ID checks are less at gun shows than at a dealer. My dad used to be able to get a gun from the Sears catalog.

I se you updated while I was writing.

In a trial before Federal Judge Sam Sparks, government lawyers conceded Texas resident Paul Copeland did not know his buyer was an illegal alien, but the jury they should convict him anyway because he “had reasonable cause to believe” he was selling to an illegal alien because the two men and a boy who were present at his table at the time of the sale: 1) were Hispanic, 2) spoke Spanish, and 3) wore cowboy clothing. And the jury did as asked.

Sounds a lot like racial profiling.

lynnf
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
The article says an "alleged" driver's license. You can get fake ones too. Teens do it to get into bars or buy alcohol. Criminals can to get a fake ID.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/101921393.html

Sales of weapons in the US are supposedly helping arm the drug cartels in Mexico. That is why they are trying to crack down on such sales- gunshows are believed to be a major source since ID checks are less at gun shows than at a dealer. My dad used to be able to get a gun from the Sears catalog.

"a fake ID."

so the illegal is at least doubly illegal, using a fake ID and buying a weapon. yet he's still here walking free. see what's wrong with that picture?

"Sounds a lot like racial profiling."

and it's the Feds that are doing it.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2010, 12:46 PM

The article and press release also stated that the prosecution conceded the point that the seller did not know the buyer was an illegal immigrant.

Also, this illegal, who committed a number of federal crimes including "straw purchasing", has not been arrested or charged.

ID checks are not "less" at gun shows. If you buy from an FFL dealer at a gun show, you will be required to go through all the hoops you normally would be required to go through.

The only way it could be considered "less" was if you bought from a private citizen (as in this case) In most states, no checks other than a form of ID and the "reasonable" idea that the person is not prohibited from owning firearms, is all that is required. No different at a gun show or if you bought from a classified ad.

As to the Mexican drug crime issue, at almost every "bust" that I've seen, the Mexican Federales have laid out a cache of weapons that include fully automatic arms, RPGs, mortars and grenades.

You don't buy them at any gunshow, anywhere in the US

See this on that

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=259371

NVM - I see that you already did. ;)

devil21
09-05-2010, 01:40 PM

The exact same thing the Feds say Arizona cops can't do. As always, two sets of rules. One for the People, one for the Government. Or in these cases, three or four sets of rules...

erowe1
09-05-2010, 02:24 PM
"a fake ID."

so the illegal is at least doubly illegal, using a fake ID and buying a weapon. yet he's still here walking free. see what's wrong with that picture?

It seems to me that what's wrong with the picture is that people selling guns are being expected to figure out the immigration status of the people they sell to. They shouldn't have to do that. Neither should employers have to do that for their employees.

Pericles
09-07-2010, 08:00 AM
There is more to this, and I'm sure that I don't have the whole story.

Additional facts - This took place at the Austin venue which has been the subject of the following controversy. Austin imported a police chief from CA (Austin is the city in TX that wishes it was San Francisco) who was shocked to discover Texas firearms laws. Many of the protections in the statutes are "defenses to prosecution" meaning that an aggressive LEO can arrest you, the DA may charge you, but the court has to let you go.

Austin became more aggressive about firearms display and transactions - telling the gun show organizer that if any non federal FFL sold a weapon at the gun show venue in the city limits, arrests would be made. When the police chief got push back, he drug the BATFE into it. The police chief also influenced the company who owned the venue for the show to try to put in an FFL only clause in the table rentals ......

So, we have an operation designed to stifle private selling of firearms, and it is having some success, having ensnared this citizen.

raistlinkishtar
09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Whenever you sell a weapon a check is run against a federal government database for the sale to go through. Shouldn't the feds at least be tracking this info in the first place?

erowe1
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Whenever you sell a weapon a check is run against a federal government database for the sale to go through. Shouldn't the feds at least be tracking this info in the first place?

You're saying you want the feds to keep track of your gun purchases?

raistlinkishtar
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
You're saying you want the feds to keep track of your gun purchases?

no of course not...I wasn't clear.

If the feds are ALREADY keeping track of gun purchases they shouldn't be putting the onus on the gun dealers to figure out who should and who shouldn't be sold a gun.

erowe1
09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
no of course not...I wasn't clear.

If the feds are ALREADY keeping track of gun purchases they shouldn't be putting the onus on the gun dealers to figure out who should and who shouldn't be sold a gun.

Oh yeah. Definitely agree.

Dr.3D
09-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Sounds like the judge advocates racial profiling. Sigh....