PDA

View Full Version : Righthaven wins key ruling

RonPaulFanInGA
09-04-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/03/judge-denies-law-firms-request-dismiss-righthaven-/

Kludge
09-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Hopefully, the DMCA safe harbor provision will save them.

sailingaway
09-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Wow, as a matter of precedent that is enormous for eviscerating the concept of jurisdiction, not just for this purpose. You are sitting at your desk in Kansas but by virtue of your computer are 'doing business' in Japan?

low preference guy
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow, as a matter of precedent that is enormous for eviscerating the concept of jurisdiction, not just for this purpose. You are sitting at your desk in Kansas but by virtue of your computer are 'doing business' in Japan?

damn. but that doesn't mean you can be taxed by the Japanese government, right?

Kludge
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Is that really so unreasonable?

Many countries put up IP filters by country to avoid serving content which is illegal in a particular jurisdiction. - And if you're making money off traffic in Nevada, aren't you essentially doing business in that state?

sailingaway
09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
damn. but that doesn't mean you can be taxed by the Japanese government, right?

Damn. Don't give them ideas!!

sailingaway
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Is that really so unreasonable?

Many countries put up IP filters by country to avoid serving content which is illegal in a particular jurisdiction. - And if you're making money off traffic in Nevada, aren't you essentially doing business in that state?

Given the implications of 'doing business' and the idea of burden / contact weighing, yeah, it seems unreasonable. On the other hand, I'm not sure what jurisdiction WOULD work according to non-internet standards.....

WaltM
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
How happened to "standing"?

Asking whether they can first prove there was $75,000 in damages to begin with?

mrsat_98
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
- And if you're making money off traffic in Nevada, aren't you essentially doing business in that state?

Go to Nevada tax code an look up the definition of "in this state" "within the state" & " in the state" then ask your self are you in Nevada or the State of Nevada.

johngr
09-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Go to Nevada tax code an look up the definition of "in this state" "within the state" & " in the state" then ask your self are you in Nevada or the State of Nevada.

That language seems weird to me. My car and I are supposedly "in" Sweden right now. But if I drove 300 kilometres northwest, I'd supposedly be "in" Norway but would experience nothing physical indicating going "out of" Sweden and "into" Norway, the people would suddenly start talking a little funny but there'd be no enclosures or anything like that, like if I got out of my car. My experience would be traveling on contiguous land.

"Trapped in" seems at times a more apt metaphor for legal jurisdiction.