PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina suspends gun rights in wake of hurricane emergency orders.

Anti Federalist
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Shameless cross post and hat tip to RonPaulHawaii for the OP, but this needs more exposure:

North Carolina governor suspends gun rights

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-charlotte/north-carolina-governor-suspends-gun-rights

State of emergency order makes criminals of concealed handgun permit-holders, sport shooters and hunters.

[Raleigh] Yesterday, North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue signed Executive Order No. 62, declaring a State of Emergency in advance of Hurricane Earle. In doing so, Perdue suspended the right of state residents to use or carry firearms outside their premises.

At issue is N.C. General Statute 14-288.7, which prohibits transporting a “dangerous weapon” during a state of emergency:

§ 14 288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:
(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or
(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.
(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14 269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

According to § 14 288.1 (10), a state of emergency exists “whenever, during times of public crisis, disaster, rioting, catastrophe, or similar public emergency, public safety authorities are unable to maintain public order or afford adequate protection for lives or property, or whenever the occurrence of any such condition is imminent.”

Violation of the order is a Class I misdemeanor, punishable by up to 120 days in jail. Those impacted include concealed handgun permit-holders, sport-shooters, and anyone else carrying a firearm outside their home or business. Critics note that dove-hunting season begins on Saturday (September 4), potentially making criminals of thousands of hunters.

NC DEMOCRATS REFUSE TO RECTIFY PROBLEM

In recent years, two North Carolina bills could have prevented infringement on individual rights under state of emergency laws. Under Section 3 of House Bill 257: “No Seizure of Lawful Firearms in Emergency,” sponsored by Rep. George Cleveland (R-Onslow) and three other legislators, lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition would have been exempted from the state of emergency law.

Despite support from the state’s primary gun group, Grass Roots North Carolina*, and others the bill died when it was denied a committee hearing by Democrat leadership, including Speaker Joe Hackney (D-Chatham, Moore, Orange) House Majority Leader Hugh Holliman (D-Davidson) and Judiciary Committee Chairman Representative Ronnie Sutton (D-Robeson).

The issue became more urgent in February, when the town of King declared a state of emergency in response to an impending snowstorm and posted the entire town against the sale and purchase of firearms and ammunition.

In response, GRNC worked with Rep. Mark Hilton (R-Catawba) to revamp the bill and introduce it again, with stronger language on the state of emergency issue, during the second year of the legislature’s two-year session as HB 2031. Referred to the House Judiciary I Committee, chaired by anti-gun Rep. Deborah Ross, that bill too died when Democrats denied it a hearing.

LAWSUIT PENDING ON STATE OF EMERGENCY LAW

Ironically, in June GRNC joined Michael Bateman, Virgil Green, Forrest Minges, Jr., and the Second Amendment Foundation in a lawsuit against the state’s emergency powers gun ban.

Named in the suit are North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue; Reuben Young, secretary of the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety; Stokes County and the City of King.

Filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, the official title is Bateman et al v. Perdue et al, Case No. 5:10-cv-265. It contends that state statutes forbidding carrying of firearms and ammunition during declared states of emergency, as well as laws enabling government officials to prohibit purchase, sale and possession of firearms and ammunition are unconstitutional because they forbid the exercise of Second Amendment rights as affirmed by the Supreme Court ruling in McDonald v. Chicago.

Plaintiffs are represented by attorney Alan Gura, who won the recent McDonald v. Chicago Second Amendment case and the landmark D.C. v. Heller case preceding it. Local counsel includes Andrew Tripp and Kearns Davis of Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLC.

After GRNC issued an alert to its members, word of the implications of Perdue's order spread on the Internet, including being featured on thetruthaboutguns.com. It is widely anticipated that the order will add impetus to the Bateman lawsuit.

*Author F. Paul Valone is president and a co-founder of Grass Roots North Carolina.

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I've still don't see if this is a statewide ban or an affected county.

Can anyone clear this up? If so this might be a good weekend to get arrested as I live far from the coast.. If my lawyer friend thinks it would be. Could cast much debate on "emergency" procedures.

EDIT: GunnyFreedom get your ass on this!

forsmant
09-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't understand why guns need to be banned because it got windy and rainy. hard to shoot in that weather anyway.

Anti Federalist
09-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Can anyone clear this up? If so this might be a good weekend to get arrested as I live far from the coast.. If my lawyer friend thinks it would be. Could cast much debate on "emergency" procedures.

I'm going to guess it's statewide Phil, I don't see anything to suggest otherwise.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the article AF. One guess on where I'd come down on passing the legislation to prevent this ludicrous abrogation of rights... :D

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm going to guess it's statewide Phil, I don't see anything to suggest otherwise.

Neither am I.

Gonna have to read up and interpret. Gonna have to get in touch with gunny.

WTF is the GOA? They could capitalize on this event and steal every WWII, Korean and Viet vet to their side!

This is actually a HUGE event if played right.

Anti Federalist
09-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the article AF. One guess on where I'd come down on passing the legislation to prevent this ludicrous abrogation of rights... :D

I'll cut another check just based on that alone.

;)

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 05:02 PM

It's already spreading over the intarwebz ;)

The ban would be wherever the state of emergency is declared. If Bev da goobernater declares the whole State in a state of emergency, then the ban applies statewide.

Southron
09-02-2010, 05:05 PM
How about a press release on your website denouncing it Gunny? Maybe you can get some attention in the local paper.

Dr.3D
09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
But isn't a state of emergency when a person most needs to have personal protection? I don't understand why they would want to disarm people when they need to be armed the most.

oyarde
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
What kind of Gov. would do such a thing ?

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Neither am I.

Gonna have to read up and interpret. Gonna have to get in touch with gunny.

WTF is the GOA? They could capitalize on this event and steal every WWII, Korean and Viet vet to their side!

This is actually a HUGE event if played right.

The fellow who wrote the article is the chief of Grassroots NC. GRNC is like the GOA, but just in NC. A true no-compromise gun rights org. They gave me a 99% pro-gun rating from our conversation. I'm guessing I didn't get 100% only because I do not have an actual voting record to check.

The problem with making a big deal out of this, is that by the time we got organized to do something major (a week?) the moment wll have passed and the ADD sheeple will be bleating about the lunch menu.

Our best attack at this thing is to flood the intarwebz in NC and let people know if we put people like myself (shudder, and other GOPers) into the state legislature, then we can overturn this BS.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
How about a press release on your website denouncing it Gunny? Maybe you can get some attention in the local paper.

That's a good idea, plus a letter to the editor....

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 05:09 PM

What are your thoughts that this could help your campaign. To the extent that you should be able to open carry in district 49 even if there is a catastrophic event in a coastal district?

I don't even agree that there should be a ban at all. Individuals should have the ability to protect themselves.

However, for a governor to suspend the second amendment rights of every citizen may seem excessive even to moderates.

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
It's already spreading over the intarwebz ;)

The ban would be wherever the state of emergency is declared. If Bev da goobernater declares the whole State in a state of emergency, then the ban applies statewide.

So where do we assemble? Raleigh? Charlotte? Asheville?

Civic protest? Good Bad? Discuss....

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
My first thought is this is just over reaction by the government. I don't think this will be an event for NC.

If it is then a protest is moot. No one will care. If it goes by then a stank storm should follow. Based upon arrests made on the same weekend of the "curfew" of rights.

We either have them or we don't.

If anything at least a clear definition besides"..going armed to the terror of the people."

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Since I just finishing watching one of my favorite Carlin clips in another thread this quote would apply.

The only thing you have ever had is a temporary bill of privileges.

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
///

Help out here if you can. All pertinent info is appreciated...

North Carolina is one of those states where I have never been able to afford a true definition. They exhibit a right to were open carry is o.k. as long as it is .."not to the terror of the people."

That is kinda subjective and has lead to a lot of misunderstandings.

GOA needs to HAMMER this one!

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Apparently, in response to voluminous calls, the State Wildlife Commission has OK'd dove hunting to continue during this state of emergency. Nevermind the fact that this places our rights at the arbitrary whim of elected and appointed officials, that will slake the anger of many activists in the state. This is, of course, more problematic than helpful. Our best solution is to pursue this in the State Legislature.

GunnyFreedom
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
What are your thoughts that this could help your campaign. To the extent that you should be able to open carry in district 49 even if there is a catastrophic event in a coastal district?

I don't even agree that there should be a ban at all. Individuals should have the ability to protect themselves.

However, for a governor to suspend the second amendment rights of every citizen may seem excessive even to moderates.

Yeah, you should be able to carry arms even in the MIDDLE of an emergency -- an emergency is when you need them the MOST!

To come out strongly opposed to this nonsense will help me a great deal -- even the liberal Democrats in my district tend to be gun people lol.

Stary Hickory
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Let me see that makes sense because having a gun outside would worsen weather conditions.

Bergie Bergeron
09-02-2010, 05:54 PM
GunnyFreedom is a true constitutionalist who's running as a Republican for State House in North Carolina, he's winning by 8 points in the polls. He's really low on funds and needs our help !

Glen Bradley money bomb on Constitution Day, September 17th ! (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=258580)

Southron
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Apparently, in response to voluminous calls, the State Wildlife Commission has OK'd dove hunting to continue during this state of emergency. Nevermind the fact that this places our rights at the arbitrary whim of elected and appointed officials, that will slake the anger of many activists in the state. This is, of course, more problematic than helpful. Our best solution is to pursue this in the State Legislature.

This was my fear. I have a lot of family that gets together on Saturday, the first day of dove season to hunt, so I better warn them.

Pericles
09-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Let me see that makes sense because having a gun outside would worsen weather conditions.

A hail of lead .....

LibForestPaul
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
§ 14 288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:
(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or
(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

According to § 14 288.1 (10), a state of emergency exists “whenever, during times of public crisis, disaster, rioting, catastrophe, or similar public emergency, public safety authorities are unable to maintain public order or afford adequate protection for lives or property, or whenever the occurrence of any such condition is imminent.”

Lets translate.

When the cops do not give a damn about protection of your life or property, because they are trying to save their own asses, you are not permitted to protect yourself., even though, when they could protect your life and property, though under no obligation to do so, then you are permitted to protect yourself as well.

phill4paul
09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Dear Phillip Ranke

Thank you for contacting Gun Owners of America .
This message is to confirm that we received an email from you.

Gov. Bev Perdue has declared a "state of emergency" in the path of Hurricane Earl.

Can you tell the people of the implications of denying firearm protection in the middle of an emergency?

The N.R.A. will not say anything.

Step up and take the lead as a defender of the second amendment right!

GOA. Step up!

oyarde
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Lets translate.

When the cops do not give a damn about protection of your life or property, because they are trying to save their own asses, you are not permitted to protect yourself., even though, when they could protect your life and property, though under no obligation to do so, then you are permitted to protect yourself as well.

Yes , and this is the Gov.'s gift to the people . Mind boggling .

Koz
09-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't understand why guns need to be banned because it got windy and rainy. hard to shoot in that weather anyway.

Ever been duck hunting in North Dakota?

"...shall not be infringed."

Dr.3D
09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Heh... they just don't want your firearm to get wet and rusty. LOL