PDA

View Full Version : City Of Dallas Proposes $25 Permit To Have A Yard Sale

Rael
09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Two Dallas City Council members have proposed charging a $25 fee next year to anyone who wants to have a garage sale in city limits.

City managers have floated the idea of charging $5, as a way to help balance next year's tough budget.

Council members Delia Jasso and Dwaine Caraway upped the ante today in a memo to City Manager Mary Suhm.

"We recommend the fee should be $25," the memo said.

Jasso and Caraway estimate the fee could bring in $500,000 next year, and they recommend the money go toward senior dental services, cultural affairs programs, graffiti removal and animal services.

I'm not sure how they estimated the $500,000, but I think one relevant question is: will the number of garage sales go down significantly if a $25 fee is attached? Will that decrease the revenue estimate?

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/post-11.html

ItsTime
09-02-2010, 02:16 PM
The city is never out of money if they can find something new to tax.

mconder
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
The real agenda behind this is so you have registered and they can try to get sales tax from ya too.

Seraphim
09-02-2010, 02:27 PM
The real agenda behind this is so you have registered and they can try to get sales tax from ya too.

I believe you are right.

2young2vote
09-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Who has garage sales? Millionaires who live on mile long gated drive ways, or middle to lower class people trying to earn money for themselves?

I love how those comments are calling the small "flea market" type things that happen every weekend a form of Urban Blight. You know what i think? I think their insistent proposals to stop the "little guy" from making money is a form of Moral Blight. They are having absolutely no rights taken away by these people having sales on their own property, yet they still feel the need to control what is not their own.

Jodi
09-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Our town imposed a $5.00 fee for garage sales about 2 yrs ago, when one of the citizens complained about their neighbor leaving appliances in the yard all summer long. Our town population is about 1500.

Stary Hickory
09-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Dallas maybe you should cut your bloated government you useless sacks of shit.

james1906
09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
People will just sell on craigslist, and donate whatever doesn't sell to charity.

Kregisen
09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
If this happens I imagine you'll see many less garage sales and many more craigslist postings....until they try to tax craigslist too.

Our town imposed a $5.00 fee for garage sales about 2 yrs ago, when one of the citizens complained about their neighbor leaving appliances in the yard all summer long. Our town population is about 1500.

With the exception of an HOA, how the hell is that anyone's business but the homeowner's??? Can't people use their yard as they see fit if they aren't infringing on the rights of others???? I guess not.

james1906
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
until they try to tax craigslist too.

They'll just shut all of craigslist down because they can't stop the hookers.

LibForestPaul
09-02-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.dallascityhall.com/government/council/dallas_city_council_faq.html
http://www.dallascityhall.com/government/council/contact_mcc.html

When are the elections for the Dallas City Council held? How long is their term? How many terms can they serve?

Elections for the Dallas City Council are held in May, every odd year. The term for the Mayor is four (4) years. The term for the Council members is two (2) years. The Mayor can serve two (2) terms, whereas, the Council members can serve four (4) terms.

Citizens who choose to vote against liberty will have more proposals such as this imposed upon them and their families.

HOLLYWOOD
09-02-2010, 06:29 PM
FOX POLL on Garage Sale License Tax: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/cavuto/

results so far

Thank you for voting!

Yes 1%
No 99%
Not sure 0%

Return To Poll (javascript:PDV_go3708406();)
Polldaddy.com (http://polldaddy.com/signup-now/?ad=poll-results)

libertybrewcity
09-02-2010, 06:29 PM
very sad. The last form of the freemarket is coming to an end.

ViniVidiVici
09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey Dallas maybe you should cut your bloated government you useless sacks of shit.

+1 :D

<---ex-Dallas resident

Golding
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I agree that the scheme is to get money forcing registration to facilitate taxation. "You do the work of gathering the money, and we'll collect it from you."

Better off just selling on Craigslist. You tend to have better chances of profit anyway, since it reaches farther.

oyarde
09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
This is simple , if you live there , vote against any dimwit that supported this .

legion
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
This won't affect anybody, because the actual city of Dallas is the size of a postage stamp. Dallas didn't annex everything in sight like most major cities.

MozoVote
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
And then the state of Texas will want a record of sales receipts for the sales taxes.

And the IRS too.

All they gotta do is pull the permit lists, to know who held yard sales.

oyarde
09-02-2010, 08:30 PM
And then the state of Texas will want a record of sales receipts for the sales taxes.

And the IRS too.

All they gotta do is pull the permit lists, to know who held yard sales.

Yes

jsu718
09-02-2010, 08:31 PM
This is why Craigslist exists...

Danke
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
They should be grateful it is not $125!

speciallyblend
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
75 dollars to have chickens in our town. I plan to have chickens and not pay the 75 dollar fee so something will come to a head in 2011 summer!!

Minuteman2012
09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
very sad. The last form of the freemarket is coming to an end.

You didn't think they would let it survive would you?

oyarde
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
75 dollars to have chickens in our town. I plan to have chickens and not pay the 75 dollar fee so something will come to a head in 2011 summer!!

Well , 75 dollars would certainly wipe out any savings you would attain buy raising your own chickens / eggs . What is the penalty if you have the chickens and not the evil govt. chicken permit ?

MelissaWV
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
People will just sell on craigslist, and donate whatever doesn't sell to charity.

The charity thing is actually not bad for many things. Furniture, in particular, that doesn't sell is greatly appreciated by Salvation Army and Veterans' organizations, since most of the donations seem to be clothes and stuff. Old electronics are also nice, because some charities train people to repair them (and no one cares if one of the "students" screws it up), which can lead to jobs in the future.

The way to "get around" a per instance fee like this is to consolidate your instances. The trouble comes with all the taxation implications associated with the sales. I don't remember who sponsors it, but I know that in Morgantown there's a mass garage sale once or twice a year. You bring your stuff there and sell it at a stall/booth. The advantage, of course, is that you attract a massive crowd and there's a lot of swapping that goes on. The disadvantage is that it draws the attention of the folks who want "their" tax dollars from your venture.

bruce leeroy
09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
this is ridiculous
I would LOVE to see the city enforce this south of the trinity river LOL
and to think Im thinking of moving back to the cliff next year