PDA

View Full Version : TN Governor: "Allowing guns in bars is stupid"

Matt Collins
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Gov. Phil Bredesen on Tuesday voiced support for a Nashville waiter's claim that a new law allowing guns in bars creates an unsafe workplace.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/humphrey/2010/08/bredesen-guns-in-bars-law-stil.html

Indy Vidual
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
The issue even gets talked about on TV?
That alone is a surprise for some people.

Kregisen
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
It should be up to the bar.....it's called private property.

Unbelievable that people like the governor of a state are even talking about this.

silus
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
When have guns ever been allowed in drinking establishments? I think cities have outlawed this since like the 1800s.

Kregisen
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
When have guns ever been allowed in drinking establishments? I think cities have outlawed this since like the 1800s.

In Arizona I'm pretty sure a bill was just passed like a year ago that legalized guns in all bars, unless they clearly have signs saying otherwise, I think?

Icymudpuppy
09-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Unbelievable that people like the governor of a state are even talking about this.

^^^
What he said.

Gun owners, don't use government to force bars to let you in with your gun. Anti gun people, don't use government to force bars to not allow whoever they want in.

libertybrewcity
09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Looks like they need a new governor. Any liberty candidates have a chance?

Knightskye
09-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Basil Marceauxdotcom got 0.3% of the vote, I think.

RM918
09-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Obviously, they say - booze + guns = apocalypse! because all they know comes from movies or tv without any actual evidence to back up their claim.

TNforPaul45
09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
TN governor: 2010: "allowing guns in bars is just stupid."

2012: allowing guns in the streets is stupid, and i stand with president Palin on this.

2014: allowing guns to be used by the people on the battlefield against federal homeland security brigades is just stupid. I agree with administrator Gingrich on this.

2015: "I officially surrender myself to the Free States of America..."

legion
09-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Just to clear up any misconceptions...

Tennessee recently voted for concealed carry permit holders to bring guns into bars.

Which is the only reason the governor is talking about it.

He's leaving office after this election cycle because he's reached his term limit.

jmdrake
09-02-2010, 06:13 AM
In Arizona I'm pretty sure a bill was just passed like a year ago that legalized guns in all bars, unless they clearly have signs saying otherwise, I think?

You think correctly.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/opposition-ramps-guns-bars-bill-moves-forward
Restaurants and bars can opt out by posting signs telling customers that guns aren’t permitted inside.

But from that same article:

Restaurateur Randy Rayburn, who spearheaded attempts to thwart last year’s guns-in-bars bill, released a statement Monday saying, “This law is harmful to our business, customers, employees and tourism in general. The other cities have used our ‘Wild West’ legislation against us to help convince convention groups not to visit Tennessee according to our Convention and Visitors Bureau.”

Now why is Mr. Rayburn upset if he can keep guns out just by posting a sign? Maybe he thinks if he does that he'll lose business. "Oh big brother! Please stop my gun toting customers from going done the street to another restaurant."

RM918
09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Of course, you're more likely to be killed by a vending machine than someone with a concealed-carry permit. And the vending machine would probably be acting in self-defense.

Natalie
09-02-2010, 06:33 AM
My grandma's sister shot her ex-husband in a bar (she was not drinking). I think this was like 40 years ago. He cheated on her and beat her all the time and I guess one day she got fed up with it. I guess he really deserved it and even he knew he deserved it, because he never pressed charges against her for shooting him or anything. The cops were really sympathetic for this abused woman and she was just charged with having a gun in a bar or something.

james1906
09-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Of course, you're more likely to be killed by a vending machine than someone with a concealed-carry permit. And the vending machine would probably be acting in self-defense.

The vending machine is aggressor by jamming the M&Ms without refunding my money. That is theft.

fisharmor
09-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Virginia also recently got rid of the onerous restriction on guns in bars.

The problem here was a bit different. You see.... there is no such thing as a bar in Virginia.
Yes, you read that correctly... any establishment selling alcohol in Virginia must sell a certain amount of food as well. As a result, there is no such thing as a real bar in VA.

Enter the CC gun ban - it was intended to be a ban on concealed guns in bars, but since there's no such thing as a bar, it was worded to include any place that serves alcohol. Thus, if I wanted to take the wife & kids out to Applebees, I couldn't carry concealed. The ridiculous thing is that I could open carry and be perfectly legal... just couldn't conceal it.

"Oh big brother! Please stop my gun toting customers from going done the street to another restaurant."

The funny thing is that during the CC ban, VCDL was actively looking for restaurants for their members to go to where they could open carry and be legal. They made a big deal about getting 30-50 people or so to swarm a restaurant that agreed to serve a bunch of people open carrying, and invited media and everything. The restaurant got probably $1k in sales out of the deal, the media chose to ignore it or file it under human interest stories, and we got an educated public who realizes that if the carrier ain't touching the trigger, there ain't nothin' to get excited about.

erowe1
09-02-2010, 07:06 AM

Exactly. If you think it's stupid, then if you happen to own a bar yourself, don't let people bring guns there. Let all the other bar owners (and patrons) decide for themselves if it's stupid or not.

Slutter McGee
09-02-2010, 07:13 AM
How about this. A private property owner allowing guns in the bar he or she owns is stupid.

So allowing guns in bars is stupid. I agree. Now yes, I know he was alluding to what the government allows. But this is not some recent infringement on our liberty. And not having guns in drinking establishments is not some massive infringement on the second amendment either.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

Elwar
09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, the question should be...do bar owners have the right to refuse people from having a gun in their bar?

american.swan
09-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Gov. Phil Bredesen on Tuesday voiced support for a Nashville waiter's claim that a new law allowing guns in bars creates an unsafe workplace.

Look. I don't have to read the article or thread to answer this. The state shouldn't "allow" guns anywhere and if they want to "ban" guns, it should only be on government property, not private property. Secondly, the bar owner can enforce his own gun ban for the safety of his workers if he/she chooses.

lucius
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Much better than having a knife in a bar fight..shit with what is coming down the pike, we need to get more feral. :D

pcosmar
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Nope, I have drank in several bars while armed. It was legal in many places.
It is also common in places where it is illegal. It is just concealed.

This was true in one establishment where I open carried. The owner appreciated that I carried mine in the open, and said that many folks there were armed, but concealed it. (Concealed Carry was illegal at that time).

pcosmar
09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
How about this. A private property owner allowing guns in the bar he or she owns is stupid.

So allowing guns in bars is stupid. I agree. Now yes, I know he was alluding to what the government allows. But this is not some recent infringement on our liberty. And not having guns in drinking establishments is not some massive infringement on the second amendment either.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

How about this. Shall not be Infringed Period.

Go ahead and flaunt your ignorance, But guns have been in bars as long as there have been guns.
Whether you know it or not. And incidents of violence are rare.
Less in an openly armed bar than in others.

puppetmaster
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

does the size of the infringement matter?

is it ok for off duty law enforcement to carry in bars?

to me its a private property issue...the gov needs to stay the F%$k out

Slutter McGee
09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
does the size of the infringement matter?

is it ok for off duty law enforcement to carry in bars?

to me its a private property issue...the gov needs to stay the F%$k out

I haven't disagreed with you. But if want to go running around protesting the banning of guns from bars go right ahead. It wont get our movement anywhere.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee
09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
How about this. Shall not be Infringed Period.

Go ahead and flaunt your ignorance, But guns have been in bars as long as there have been guns.
Whether you know it or not. And incidents of violence are rare.
Less in an openly armed bar than in others.

Yeah, I have seen quite a bit of gun violence in bars. And I know of a lot of bars who have metal detectors.

Again, I have not claimed it is not an infringement. My claim is simply that there are much much much bigger abuses by the government when it comes to the second amendment. If you think that all infringements on the second Amendment are equally dangerous to liberty then you are crazy. All infringements may be dangerous, but they are not equally dangerous. And fighting a law banning guns from bars is stupid from a matter of priorities, and from public perception.

So call me ignorant because I don't think this is a pressing issue for the liberty movement. Or you could actually read what I fucking say instead of jumping to emotionally caused conclusions.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

pcosmar
09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I haven't disagreed with you. But if want to go running around protesting the banning of guns from bars go right ahead. It wont get our movement anywhere.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

I oppose the infringement of the Second Amendment wherever it is found.

Slutter McGee
09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I oppose the infringement of the Second Amendment wherever it is found.

And I oppose it also. I havent claimed otherwise. But I am not going to get worked up over a law that actually has aspects of common sense in it.

That doesn't mean I agree with the law. But if I got as worked up and pissed off as yall at every constiutional injustice in the world then I would be miserable.

So I pick my battles. Sue me for not being a pure as you.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Matt Collins
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
My grandma's sister shot her ex-husband in a bar (she was not drinking). I think this was like 40 years ago. He cheated on her and beat her all the time and I guess one day she got fed up with it. I guess he really deserved it and even he knew he deserved it, because he never pressed charges against her for shooting him or anything. The cops were really sympathetic for this abused woman and she was just charged with having a gun in a bar or something.
Was this in TX? ;)

lucius
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Very nice to hear this, sorry she got any charge...my cousin blew her abusive ex-husbands jaw off with a 357 while he was climbing through her window at 3 am; here is what the Montana Sheriff said, "Damn fine shooting!"

jmdrake
09-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Bredesen (the current governor and a democrat) can't run again because of term limits. Bill Haslam (the republican nominee) was part of Michael Bloomberg's gun control coalition when he was mayor of Knoxville and only left that coalition once he decided to run for governor. He claims he "didn't understand" Bloomberg's goals. Bill Marcianeux might have been funny and good on guns, but was a total joke. (One of his main issues was fighting against "gold fringe flags"). Zach Wamp voted for the bailout and "cash for clunkers". Ron Ramsey (tea party favorite) voted for a lot of tax increases in the state legislature. I voted for "crazy" Joe Kirkpatrick who has less screws loose than Marcianeux (and got more votes by the way), but Joe had a few "non liberty" ideas (don't remember off the top of my head).

Our last republican governor (Don Sunquist) created "Tenncare" which almost bankrupted the state and tried to pass a state income tax to cover it. Phil Bredesen's claim to fame (or "infamy" in some circles) is that he cut the Tenncare rolls enough for the program to be solvent.

Anyway, a few videos of the guy I voted for.

YouTube - Joe Kirkpatrick at Nashville Tea Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqXWfeL5ow)

YouTube - Joe Kirkpatrick on Fed Response to Nashville Flood and Oil Spill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsXnui-NJ0)

YouTube - Joe Kirkpatrick on Health Care (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MZK2IBO34Y)

YouTube - Joe Kirkpatrick on the Support and Defense of the US Constitution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_WUj1uWhY)

jmdrake
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

The original bill distinguished between bars and food establishments that merely served alcohol as a side business. Unfortunately common sense fell victim to legalese nitpicking.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/opposition-ramps-guns-bars-bill-moves-forward
Last year’s bill would have allowed gun permit holders to carry guns in restaurants where food is the main source of business. Davidson County Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman deemed the bill unconstitutional, ruling that its vagueness made determining a restaurant’s main source of business too difficult.

A new version of the bill, expected to go before the state House Ways and Means committee on Tuesday, would overcome any vagueness by allowing permitted gun users to carry in any venue.

That said, what good is a "law" that says you can't carry a gun into a bar that's only enforced after something happens? Someone goes into a bar, kills someone with a gun, and then you're going to tack an extra 10 years on the end of his life (or death) sentence because he carried a gun into a building? Over the summer I sat through preliminary hearings of a man accused of robbing a Chili's and killing the manager execution style. How did the ban on guns in bars help in this situation? Any establishment that wants to bar (no pun intended) patrons from carrying guns can do so by merely posting a sign. And if they are really serious about keeping guns out they can install a metal detector. I've been to establishments that have them. Frankly that makes more sense than relying on some "law" that people will bad intent will simply ignore.

oyarde
09-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Exactly , up to the business owner .

Elwar
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
"Private property rights" is racist.

Natalie
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Was this in TX? ;)

Yes, Dallas.

nobody's_hero
09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
The original bill distinguished between bars and food establishments that merely served alcohol as a side business. Unfortunately common sense fell victim to legalese nitpicking.

"Last year’s bill would have allowed gun permit holders to carry guns in restaurants where food is the main source of business. Davidson County Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman deemed the bill unconstitutional, ruling that its vagueness made determining a restaurant’s main source of business too difficult.
"

Funny how anything that might loosen government restrictions is deemed 'vague', but the horrendously vague laws that strip us of freedom never get struck down for being ambiguous.

The healthcare bill is about as clear as mud, but we'll never see it struck down for being 'vague.'

oyarde
09-02-2010, 05:54 PM
If I owned a bar in Tennessee , I would allow guns . I would not allow a Gov. who called me stupid to be served there though .

Matt Collins
09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Yes, Dallas.
Why does that not surprise me? ;):cool::p

PreDeadMan
09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
stealing people's money is stupid also.... if it's private property THE OWNER CAN set the RULES if he wants guns in there... whites only , blacks only, people wearing certain bracelets,hats anything they want the property owner sets the rules!