PDA

View Full Version : Republicans vow reform if they win House

Matt Collins
09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41665.html

Matt Collins
09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Why am I reminded of this?

YouTube - Bush "Fool Me Once..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A)

Sola_Fide
09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Why am I reminded of this:

YouTube - Read my lips: no more taxes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DZBFbMdjI)

Fr3shjive
09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
*yawn*

I'll believe it when I see it. Americans get the government they deserve. Apparently they're not tired of getting taken advantage of by dishonest politicians.

erowe1
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
"Please just give us one more chance. This time we'll be good. We promise. I know we've been down this road before, but now it's different."

Like a bunch of wife beaters or something.

sailingaway
09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
If they make Ron Speaker, I'll believe them.....

speciallyblend
09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
If they make Ron Speaker, I'll believe them.....

if they(gop leadership) make Ron Paul 2012 happen i might believe them;)

Stary Hickory
09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Yep kinda funny, they vow it now but when they get the house, senate, and the presidency they seem to forget their promises. Last time we got a gross expansion of the welfare state, two wars, and a buttload of inflation.

The only thing they have going for them is that the other guys are worse. And that is not saying much. I will wait and see, like I said they will get their chance. I am sure of that. They had better deliver, if not they are gone and I seriously doubt this country will stay united.

georgiaboy
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
deaf ears, baby.

Noob
09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Would they repeal the Patriot Act? and all of the other anti-terror laws pass since 9 11? Or just keep playing Lip service to the constitution?

Stary Hickory
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Would they repeal the Patriot Act? and all of the other anti-terror laws pass since 9 11? Or just keep playing Lip service to the constitution?

I'll hold their feet to the fire. They say they did not know what was in it...we will see. I am tired of this *&*# they know better. I am sick to death of the three letter agencies and government "finding" authority to violate the most basic rights we have.

If you ask me a president should come forward and make spying on Americans, killing Americans, or violating our rights in any way, shape, or form, equal to treason. I am really that fed up with it. Any federal official or operative can expect punishment equivalent to treason for engaging in these activities. THAT SHOULD DO IT.

If you ask me it is TREASON to violate the rights of those you are supposed to be protecting from having their rights violated.

MRoCkEd
09-01-2010, 04:15 PM
We'll get some okay Republicans, meaning the ones endorsed by DeMint's SCF.

Some of these are likely wins while others are in tossups.

*Ranked Best to Worst*
Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Ken Buck, Joe Miller, Sharron Angle, Pat Toomey, Marco Rubio, Dino Rossi, Ron Johnson

The first three oppose or at least question the foreign policy status quo. Miller is an unknown on foreign policy but seems solid on what he's said so far. Angle is a wildcard, which could be a good thing. Toomey was the president of Club for Growth, so I expect him to be good on fiscal policy. Rubio, Rossi and Johnson will likely be better than the status-quo, but nothing special.

Surely some of these will end up selling it out. Hopefully we'll end up with a few obstructionist fiscal hawks.

NewFederalist
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Maybe they will trot out the good ole Contract with America again. That one worked before.

JustinTime
09-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope they reform a lot of things, but they will probably fix everything that aint broke and rob even more freedoms from the people, then call it progress.

Stary Hickory
09-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Well when we talk about the patriot act...in theory Democrats should vote to repeal it...and then there should be enough new blood in the GOP + those who said they did not know what it was about(no reading the bills apparently) + those scared of Tea Party wrath...that I think it will be repealed in the house and senate.

Humanae Libertas
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
When the Cons' get into office, they'll just expand ObamaCare, and tell the masses that they're repealing when it's just an expansion of Corporate Health Care.

amy31416
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
*rolleyes*

libertybrewcity
09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
The Republicans won't gain enough seats to make any reforms. The only thing they will be able to do is stop spending bills and create some gridlock.

Sola_Fide
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM

*Ranked Best to Worst*
Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Ken Buck, Joe Miller, Sharron Angle, Pat Toomey, Marco Rubio, Dino Rossi, Ron Johnson

The first three oppose or at least question the foreign policy status quo. Miller is an unknown on foreign policy but seems solid on what he's said so far. Angle is a wildcard, which could be a good thing. Toomey was the president of Club for Growth, so I expect him to be good on fiscal policy. Rubio, Rossi and Johnson will likely be better than the status-quo, but nothing special.

Surely some of these will end up selling it out. Hopefully we'll end up with a few obstructionist fiscal hawks.

Good list.

TC95
09-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I LOL'd at the thread title.

Zippyjuan
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Meh- they all say that. And nothing changes.

AuH20
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM

*Ranked Best to Worst*

The problem being that's a very small minority. DeMint would need to sweep the 2012 cycle with like-minded candidates also to have any impact. I genuinely believe he'd implement major changes if he had the bodies, but the GOP brass would never let that happen.