PDA

View Full Version : Two Hoonah police officers were shot and killed

Hunter Gatherer
08-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Two Hoonah police officers were shot and killed by a suspect who early Monday was still barricaded in his home on Front Street in the Southeast Alaska community of about 850 people, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers have responded to Hoonah in full force after the Saturday night shootings. They have surrounded the home of the suspected shooter, whom they identified as John Marvin Jr., 45. They say he is "barricaded and contained," but they weren't discussing any communications with him. They say they hope the standoff ends peacefully.

"The situation is ongoing," trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

The wife and young children of the one of the officers witnessed the violence as it began, as did the mother of the other officer, said interim city administrator Bob Prunella.

One of the gunned-down officers, Matthew Tokuoka, 39, was off duty and had just recently rejoined the tiny police force, filling in while a new recruit attended the trooper academy in Sitka.

The other, Sgt. Anthony Wallace, 32, came from a long line of police officers, including his father, grandfather and an uncle. He had been with the department off and on over the last three years and was promoted posthumously Sunday from corporal, said Hoonah Police Chief John Millan.

Wallace was hearing-impaired, a graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology's National Technical Institute for the Deaf. He suffered high-frequency hearing loss and was an expert lip reader. But he also could talk on the phone or the police radio, Millan said.

"He compensated for it. ... He could fully, effectively perform his duties," Millan said. "It was a battle. He had to constantly prove himself, and overcome."

Millan is now the only sworn member of the Hoonah police force in the city, and he has been there 10 months. The city of Wrangell has sent two officers to help out.

Hoonah is 40 miles west of Juneau on the northeast shore of Chichagof Island. Hoonah is the largest Tlingit village in Alaska.

The community is reeling, said the city's mayor, Windy Skaflestad. People already are depositing bouquets of flowers at the police department. They are gathering at the Alaska Native Brotherhood hall to mourn together, Millan said.

"To me, it's terrible. Two young fellows, good-looking guys," Skaflestad said. "Up and coming beautiful policemen for Hoonah."

"The community's broken-hearted," Millan said.

Troopers' special emergency reaction teams from the Mat-Su, the Kenai Peninsula and Fairbanks are on the scene. SERT is the trooper tactical team, like a SWAT team. Area patrol officers, wildlife troopers, the Juneau Police Department's tactical team and U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers are involved. The U.S. Coast Guard brought the Juneau police over by boat and sent a helicopter from Sitka to medevac Wallace to the hospital in Juneau.

Medics and the local physician assistant provided aid. But neither man could be saved.

Troopers, still trying to get the shooter to surrender, haven't said what they believe set him off. Marvin has a record of small crimes including furnishing alcohol to a minor in 2006. Last year, he was charged with assault, criminal trespass and resisting arrest. But those charges appear to have been dismissed, according to a database of court records.

"This was a homegrown boy," said Skaflestad, 73, who himself was born and raised in Hoonah.

Troopers said they were alerted to the shootings around 11 p.m. Tokuoka's father-in-law, Hoonah resident George Martin, said he lives nearby and heard the gunfire.

Tokuoka was in his car with his wife, Haley, their 6-year-old son and their 2-year-old daughter, Martin said. They stopped to talk to Wallace, the officer on duty, who was standing outside the vehicle. Wallace's mother, a nurse who was visiting from Florida, was nearby and saw her son shot, Prunella said.

"The regular officer went down first. In fact, my daughter and the kids were in the car. Matt wasn't actually on duty yet," Martin said. "The shots rang out, you know, and they hit Tony. I guess they hit them in the leg first. And then Matt told my daughter, he said to get the kids out of here. 'Get out of here!' he said.

"He went to help Tony and I think that's when he got it."

Prunella said Tokuoka tried to get other people to safety.

During the standoff, people who live nearby are being told to stay put and if they weren't already home, to stay away, Peters said.

Many people in Hoonah were up all Saturday night, Prunella said. People are scared and sad.

Wallace is from upstate New York, according to the Hoonah Police Department website. He has a young daughter in Ohio. In college, he was an All-American wrestler. In between stints with the Hoonah Police Department, he worked campus security at RIT. He graduated at the top of his class last year at the law enforcement academy in Fairbanks.

According to a story last year in RIT's campus news, Wallace was one of few deaf police officers in the country.

"I have had tremendous support from my fellow police officers and have gained their confidence by proving every day that a person with my hearing deficiency poses no problems on the job. I have always believed that I could do the job of a police officer and here I am," he said in the story.

Tokuoka was a native of Hawaii and a former Marine Corps staff sergeant who looked the part, Millan said. His military background was in special operations, according to the Hoonah police website. He had worked for the department off and on since the spring of 2009 and was waiting to get into an upcoming law enforcement academy class.

"He had that Marine Corps appearance and demeanor, and then when you'd meet him, he'd crack a smile and be just the warmest, nicest person you ever met. So much fun. Just a loving father," Millan said.

I'm not a fan of violence, and my heart goes out to the family's involved. But there has to be more to this story.

Here is my story about a run in with the cops in southeast alaska.

I'm from Sitka a small town not that far away from Hoonah. I got my underage drinking ticket there i was 19. I was back visiting family and friends. All of my friends have over 3 underage drinking tickets and the police new them by name.

When we got caught the police where pricks. Telling us we had to take breathalyzers. But one of my buddies refused and they badgered and kept telling him he had to take it.

This ordeal lasted about 10 minuets. The whole time I was by the camera asking questions.
"Are you allowed to badger him into taking a breathalyzer like this?"
"Officer can you please explain the laws of taking a breathalyzer to me?"
"Why did you put handcuffs on me? Am I under arrest?"

I asked as many questions as I could think of and I was very polite. I did not receive one answer.

They took my buddy to the station and let the rest of us go.

When we went to trial of coarse they lost the tape! I was pissed!

Now I'm not sure about the whole Hoonah story but I'm sure one of those cops pushed the mans buttons. Hopefully we will get to hear the full story. But from my experience the cops in that area where a bunch of punks.

pcosmar
08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm not a fan of violence, and my heart goes out to the family's involved. But there has to be more to this story.

There is. But it is not being reported much by the media.
Quick research this morning shows that he surrendered after a standoff.
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/alaska-police-killings-suspect-john-marvin-jr-surrenders/19613894

It seems that John Marvin Jr., who is a life long resident of the area had some past history with these officers.
It also shows that the officers were NOT locals. Previous charges were dismissed. It seems that they had targeted Marvin from the time they started with the Hoonah PD.

According to the law enforcement networking website www.usacops.com, Tokuoka was a former Marine Corps staff sergeant who served in special operations. The Hawaii native had been with the department since spring 2009.

Wallace was born in Germany because his father was a military police officer, but he grew up in Franklin, Ohio,
Wallace joined the Hoonah police force in 2006, left after seven months and then rejoined in 2008.

And this event started in front of Marvin's home.

It would be nice if the local news did some more complete investigation and reporting.
I'll bet some of the local history is not being reported.
:(

puppetmaster
08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Two Hoonah police officers were shot and killed by a suspect who early Monday was still barricaded in his home on Front Street in the Southeast Alaska community of about 850 people, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers have responded to Hoonah in full force after the Saturday night shootings. They have surrounded the home of the suspected shooter, whom they identified as John Marvin Jr., 45. They say he is "barricaded and contained," but they weren't discussing any communications with him. They say they hope the standoff ends peacefully.

"The situation is ongoing," trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

The wife and young children of the one of the officers witnessed the violence as it began, as did the mother of the other officer, said interim city administrator Bob Prunella.

One of the gunned-down officers, Matthew Tokuoka, 39, was off duty and had just recently rejoined the tiny police force, filling in while a new recruit attended the trooper academy in Sitka.

The other, Sgt. Anthony Wallace, 32, came from a long line of police officers, including his father, grandfather and an uncle. He had been with the department off and on over the last three years and was promoted posthumously Sunday from corporal, said Hoonah Police Chief John Millan.

Wallace was hearing-impaired, a graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology's National Technical Institute for the Deaf. He suffered high-frequency hearing loss and was an expert lip reader. But he also could talk on the phone or the police radio, Millan said.

"He compensated for it. ... He could fully, effectively perform his duties," Millan said. "It was a battle. He had to constantly prove himself, and overcome."

Millan is now the only sworn member of the Hoonah police force in the city, and he has been there 10 months. The city of Wrangell has sent two officers to help out.

Hoonah is 40 miles west of Juneau on the northeast shore of Chichagof Island. Hoonah is the largest Tlingit village in Alaska.

The community is reeling, said the city's mayor, Windy Skaflestad. People already are depositing bouquets of flowers at the police department. They are gathering at the Alaska Native Brotherhood hall to mourn together, Millan said.

"To me, it's terrible. Two young fellows, good-looking guys," Skaflestad said. "Up and coming beautiful policemen for Hoonah."

"The community's broken-hearted," Millan said.

Troopers' special emergency reaction teams from the Mat-Su, the Kenai Peninsula and Fairbanks are on the scene. SERT is the trooper tactical team, like a SWAT team. Area patrol officers, wildlife troopers, the Juneau Police Department's tactical team and U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers are involved. The U.S. Coast Guard brought the Juneau police over by boat and sent a helicopter from Sitka to medevac Wallace to the hospital in Juneau.

Medics and the local physician assistant provided aid. But neither man could be saved.

Troopers, still trying to get the shooter to surrender, haven't said what they believe set him off. Marvin has a record of small crimes including furnishing alcohol to a minor in 2006. Last year, he was charged with assault, criminal trespass and resisting arrest. But those charges appear to have been dismissed, according to a database of court records.

"This was a homegrown boy," said Skaflestad, 73, who himself was born and raised in Hoonah.

Troopers said they were alerted to the shootings around 11 p.m. Tokuoka's father-in-law, Hoonah resident George Martin, said he lives nearby and heard the gunfire.

Tokuoka was in his car with his wife, Haley, their 6-year-old son and their 2-year-old daughter, Martin said. They stopped to talk to Wallace, the officer on duty, who was standing outside the vehicle. Wallace's mother, a nurse who was visiting from Florida, was nearby and saw her son shot, Prunella said.

"The regular officer went down first. In fact, my daughter and the kids were in the car. Matt wasn't actually on duty yet," Martin said. "The shots rang out, you know, and they hit Tony. I guess they hit them in the leg first. And then Matt told my daughter, he said to get the kids out of here. 'Get out of here!' he said.

"He went to help Tony and I think that's when he got it."

Prunella said Tokuoka tried to get other people to safety.

During the standoff, people who live nearby are being told to stay put and if they weren't already home, to stay away, Peters said.

Many people in Hoonah were up all Saturday night, Prunella said. People are scared and sad.

Wallace is from upstate New York, according to the Hoonah Police Department website. He has a young daughter in Ohio. In college, he was an All-American wrestler. In between stints with the Hoonah Police Department, he worked campus security at RIT. He graduated at the top of his class last year at the law enforcement academy in Fairbanks.

According to a story last year in RIT's campus news, Wallace was one of few deaf police officers in the country.

"I have had tremendous support from my fellow police officers and have gained their confidence by proving every day that a person with my hearing deficiency poses no problems on the job. I have always believed that I could do the job of a police officer and here I am," he said in the story.

Tokuoka was a native of Hawaii and a former Marine Corps staff sergeant who looked the part, Millan said. His military background was in special operations, according to the Hoonah police website. He had worked for the department off and on since the spring of 2009 and was waiting to get into an upcoming law enforcement academy class.

"He had that Marine Corps appearance and demeanor, and then when you'd meet him, he'd crack a smile and be just the warmest, nicest person you ever met. So much fun. Just a loving father," Millan said.

Here is my story about a run in with the cops in southeast alaska.

I'm from Sitka a small town not that far away from Hoonah. I got my underage drinking ticket there i was 19. I was back visiting family and friends. All of my friends have over 3 underage drinking tickets and the police new them by name.

When we got caught the police where pricks. Telling us we had to take breathalyzers. But one of my buddies refused and they badgered and kept telling him he had to take it.

This ordeal lasted about 10 minuets. The whole time I was by the camera asking questions.
"Are you allowed to badger him into taking a breathalyzer like this?"
"Officer can you please explain the laws of taking a breathalyzer to me?"
"Why did you put handcuffs on me? Am I under arrest?"

I asked as many questions as I could think of and I was very polite. I did not receive one answer.

They took my buddy to the station and let the rest of us go.

When we went to trial of coarse they lost the tape! I was pissed!

Now I'm not sure about the whole Hoonah story but I'm sure one of those cops pushed the mans buttons. Hopefully we will get to hear the full story. But from my experience the cops in that area where a bunch of punks.

has to be more for sure.....too bad anyone died.

I am from AK also. in fact I got into law enforcement because of a trooper in Juneau. I was driving w expired tags for a year or so, and after the third time pulling me over an officer followed me to the DMV to get it registered....LOL he never did give me a ticket. I figured all cops are not that bad...... (maybe he realized that I got all my tickets "fixed" by the union.......) Anyway I joined a lower 48 department and realized that 95% of cops are POS....I had to either play crooked ball or leave....I resigned...Yea I could have stayed but I did get some good take a ways from the dept:D

In a small town like Hoonah, I am positive there is a private back story to this event.

KramerDSP
08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I went to college at RIT around the same time Tony "The Tiger" Wallace was there. He was very well known, and has the second most career wins in RIT Wrestling history. Tony the Tiger s teammate and biggest rival was Matt "Hammer" Hamill of current UFC fame.

From everything I read, the suspect grabbed Tony's gun ahead ago and Tony wrestled him to the ground, applying a thigh lock. I think the person was mentally I'll and may have harbored a distrust or ill feelings towards Tony, who was ambushed.

Tony Wallace was a good guy and I was very surprised to learn about this story. May he rest in peace.

KramerDSP
08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
I meant a year ago, not a head ago.

osan
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting to note that no details of why the altercation erupted. Bet there's more to it than meets the eye.

Little by little people become fed up with being screwed with.

As more cops and other government vermin get shot, things should become rather more interesting.

As to these cops - if they were up to no good, fuck 'em.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right, osan.

Danke
08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right, osan.

LE, were you once an elementary school teacher?

osan
08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
has to be more for sure.....too bad anyone died.

How do you know it is too bad? Perhaps it is very good. At some point we have to dispense with this fallcious nonsense of "it's too bad" and start speaking truthfully about citizens standing up and stopping the tyrants and their dogs from going further. When things get to a point, the only thing left is to kill them and I applaud those who do so.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2010, 11:27 AM
LE, were you once an elementary school teacher?

lol.

No.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
How do you know it is too bad? Perhaps it is very good. At some point we have to dispense with this fallcious nonsense of "it's too bad" and start speaking truthfully about citizens standing up and stopping the tyrants and their dogs from going further. When things get to a point, the only thing left is to kill them and I applaud those who do so.

You appear to be jumping the other way and in fact are cheering the policemens' deaths. They too are innocent until proven guilty.

We need to be careful that we do not become that which we are fighting against.

pcosmar
08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
I meant a year ago, not a head ago.

So he defended himself against the police a year ago. (shortly after this officer moved into the area). And all charges against him were dropped.

Then this same police officer was again in front of his home,,,,

Perhaps he felt threatened, Perhaps it was self defense.

The question that is not addressed is WHY was this armed individual (who was neither a local nor a friend) in his front yard.

there is more to this story.

pcosmar
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
You appear to be jumping the other way and in fact are cheering the policemens' deaths. They too are innocent until proven guilty.

Truth in that.
But also the fact that the police often overstep their bounds, and more often violate the right of those they are sworn to protect. And in fact protect those that are striping Rights from the people.

This has been going on a long time, and resentment is growing.
I expect to see a lot of blowback.
That is not cheering for it. It is an observation.

osan
09-01-2010, 07:30 AM

You need to read more carefully. I said IF they were up to no good, then good for the victim. And yes, I support the killing of anyone who egregiously violates the rights of anyone, especially when the guilty parties are "government". This is very serious business, our rights. That we take them so lightly now is most disturbing. Much talk even here, yet when anyone expresses opinions commensurate with the gravity of a situation, many are fast to criticize. I feel my position is eminently justifiable and in fact the only proper position to hold on the issue. Either one believes in the sanctity of individual rights or does not. I find there to be precious little in the way of gray areas. Those vested in the public trust carry an added responsibility to the rest by not abusing their privileged authority. When they do, there are many circumstances where the individual citizen is well within their rights to remove the violator from the ranks of the living. The moment we cut agents of "the state" slack on this, we doom ourselves utterly. They are precisely the ones who should never be cut any slack whatsoever. They are to be held to the standard of behavior with zero/zero tolerances.

Agreed. Care is paramount, but one must well understand where the limits of care end and righteous, if stern, action begins. Therein the art.