PDA

View Full Version : McCain Argues For Retreat

kylebrotherton
10-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Sen. John McCain - October 19, 1993

Mr. President, there is no reason for the United States of America to remain in Somalia. The American people want them home, I believe the majority of Congress wants them home, and to set an artificial date of March 31 or even February 1, in my view, is not acceptable. The criteria should be to bring them home as rapidly and safely as possible, an evolution which I think could be completed in a matter of weeks.

Our continued military presence in Somalia allows another situation to arise which could then lead to the wounding, killing or capture of American fighting men and women. We should do all in our power to avoid that.

I listened carefully to the President's remarks at a news conference that he held earlier today. I heard nothing in his discussion of the issue that would persuade me that further U.S. military involvement in the area is necessary. In fact, his remarks have persuaded me more profoundly that we should leave and leave soon.

Dates certain, Mr. President, are not the criteria here. What is the criteria and what should be the criteria is our immediate, orderly withdrawal from Somalia. And if we do not do that and other Americans die, other Americans are wounded, other Americans are captured because we stay too long--longer than necessary--then I would say that the responsibilities for that lie with the Congress of the United States who did not exercise their authority under the Constitution of the United States and mandate that they be brought home quickly and safely as possible. . . .

I know that this debate is going to go on this afternoon and I have a lot more to say, but the argument that somehow the United States would suffer a loss to our prestige and our viability, as far as the No. 1 superpower in the world, I think is baloney. The fact is, we won the cold war. The fact is, we won the Persian Gulf conflict. And the fact is that the United States is still the only major world superpower.

I can tell you what will erode our prestige. I can tell you what will hurt our viability as the world's superpower, and that is if we enmesh ourselves in a drawn-out situation which entails the loss of American lives, more debacles like the one we saw with the failed mission to capture Aideed's lieutenants, using American forces, and that then will be what hurts our prestige.

We suffered a terrible tragedy in Beirut, Mr. President; 240 young marines lost their lives, but we got out. Now is the time for us to get out of Somalia as rapidly and as promptly and as safely as possible.

I, along with many others, will have an amendment that says exactly that. It does not give any date certain. It does not say anything about any other missions that the United States may need or feels it needs to carry out. It will say that we should get out as rapidly and orderly as possible.

Video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=o8TFKXHiefs

theseus51
10-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Ah, the good old days when to being against "nation building" was cool.

steph3n
10-17-2007, 12:49 AM
great speech, saved and going to ipod :D

Ron Paul Fan
10-17-2007, 12:52 AM
McCain is a cut and runner! Or at least he is when Bill Clinton is President. When George Bush is President, we cannot leave without honor. Humble foreign policy, no nation building, don't police the world is the only way to go! And Congressman Paul is the only candidate who has been consistent on that! Ron Paul!!!!!

ThePieSwindler
10-17-2007, 12:57 AM
"9/11 changed everything"

fj45lvr
10-17-2007, 01:08 AM

This always pisses me off to hear that statement...like it does for you most likely.

What was 9/11 anyhow?? A clever plot by a few individuals to hijack a few planes and achieve a most sensational spectacle (probably bigger than their wildest dreams).

How has that changed anything?? There were hijackings before 9/11 and there most certainly were suicide bombers before 9/11.

The ONLY thing that changed is that now the "leaders" could sculpt whatever "phantom" they want to, to be the "protectors" as if the public were little children flocking under a mothers skirt for protection, as IF one could ever be "protected" from ideas in the heads of murderers. That has been something that will never happen in all the history of man.....as free marketers know: where there is a will there is a way.

kylebrotherton
10-17-2007, 01:10 AM
BTW, here's a virtually identical McCain speech calling for retreat from Haiti in 1994.

Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=palbo-ilalU

devil21
10-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Both of those videos just prove how full of shit McCain is. Spread those around!

saku39
10-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I realize it was posted here only as the explanation for the stupid pro-war neo-con policy of the past few years but I really hate hearing the "9/11 changed everything" line.

All that day meant was that we shouldn't be messing with other people's countries and governments abroad-- People tend to get mad about that.

Watching those videos just makes me sad. What the hell happened?

johngr
10-17-2007, 03:35 AM

It was a psyop designed to do just that. There's never been a better though-stopping debate winner than "9/11". It's a ready made, all-purpose excuse for anything the government (which has we all know has our best interests at heart and would never lie to us or do anything nefarious) wants to do, including acts which would be considered terrorism if done by people who aren't state agents.