PDA

View Full Version : Mick Mulvaney Tied With Spratt (SC-05)

Imperial
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
From CQ Politics:

According to the latest internal poll numbers from Mulvaney’s camp the contest, which is being closely watched by national media, continues to be a dead heat. A poll conducted July 22-25 showed Mulvaney and Spratt tied at 46 percent with 9 percent undecided. The poll, conducted by the GOP firm Public Opinion Strategies, surveyed 400 likely 5th district voters and had a 4.9 point margin of error.

Those numbers are slightly closer than a mid-May poll by Mulvaney’s camp which showed Spratt ahead 43 percent to 41 percent with 15 percent undecided.

Not surprisingly, Spratt’s polling shows a different story.

“I’m ahead of him,” Spratt said on Wednesday evening, referring to his own internal polling. “I don’t want to get into the details, but by enough to give me a little bit of breathing room.”

With just over two months to go in the campaign, Mulvaney acknowledges that one of his main jobs on the campaign trail is to continue to introduce himself to voters, especially those outside his state Senate district who are nearly universally familiar with the 14 term Congressman.

Here is the gist of the story. Spratt has been a longtime congressman whose district was redistricted to lean Republican a few years back. Surprisingly, despite his liberal positions, he managed to remain strong in the district. Mulvaney is a longtime state senator who the national Republicans are pretty friendly with and have offered him support. He has declared himself a Libertarian, opposes the Patriot Act, and is conspicuously silent on foreign policy.