PDA

View Full Version : Beck rally signals election trouble for Dems

YumYum
08-29-2010, 04:28 AM
Look at the people below the article in the comments column going at it. Reminds me of this place when things get out of hand sometimes. I think Americans are going to kill each other. At least we know what's up, so there shouldn't be any reason to fight with one another on this forum. On the other hand, maybe Americans love to fight. :D

By PHILIP ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer Philip Elliott, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 7 mins ago

WASHINGTON – If Democrats had doubts about the voter unrest that threatens to rob them of their majority in Congress, they needed only look from the Capitol this weekend to the opposite end of the National Mall.

It's where Ken Ratliff joined tens of thousands of other anti-government activists at the foot of the Lincoln Memorial for conservative commentator Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally.

"There's gotta' be a change, man," said Ratliff, a 55-year-old Marine veteran from Rochester, N.Y.

Neither Democrats nor Republicans can afford to ignore the antiestablishment fervor displayed Saturday during Beck's rally that took on the tone of an evangelical revival.

Billed as a nonpolitical event, it nevertheless was a clarifying moment for those curious as to what clout an anti-Washington sentiment could have on midterm congressional elections in November. The gathering was advertised as an opportunity to honor American troops. But it also illustrated voters' exasperation — and provided additional evidence that Democrats in power — as well as some incumbent Republicans — may pay the price when voters go to the polls.

The tea party is essentially a loosely organized band of anti-tax, libertarian-leaning political newcomers who are fed up with Washington and take some of their cues from Beck. While the movement drew early skepticism from establishment Republicans, these same GOP powerbrokers now watch it with a wary eye as activists have mounted successful primary campaigns against incumbents.

Read more....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100829/ap_on_en_tv/us_dc_rally_democrats

libertythor
08-29-2010, 04:37 AM
I disagree with the heavy religious tone of the event, but I do believe that it was a good thing for Glenn Beck to do. He ended up making the left-wing racebaiters look like idiots, and he even got some of MLK Jr's family on his side. Beck did this with class and did not use it to antagonize Blacks, so the choice of the date was genius. On top of that, he showed that by calling for limited government and individual liberty, the freaking Urban League and company do not have a monopoly as promoters of "rights".

romacox
08-29-2010, 05:05 AM
I disagree with the heavy religious tone of the event, but I do believe that it was a good thing for Glenn Beck to do. He ended up making the left-wing racebaiters look like idiots, and he even got some of MLK Jr's family on his side. Beck did this with class and did not use it to antagonize Blacks, so the choice of the date was genius. On top of that, he showed that by calling for limited government and individual liberty, the freaking Urban League and company do not have a monopoly as promoters of "rights".

I agree. I especially liked the call for the 9/12 like unity of the American people, in spite of differences. Some of us are so busy fighting each other that we are ineffective against the real enemy. Hmmmmm sounds like something the opposition would promote (division, I mean).

YumYum
08-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree. I especially liked the call for the 9/12 like unity of the American people, in spite of differences. Some of us are so busy fighting each other that we are ineffective against the real enemy. Hmmmmm sounds like something the opposition would promote (division, I mean).

And who does Beck consider the "real enemy"?

ItsTime
08-29-2010, 09:29 AM
And who does Beck consider the "real enemy"?

Anyone who is Muslim.

YumYum
08-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Anyone who is Muslim.

True, so he is not uniting Americans, he is dividing them. He is setting the stage for a religious civil war, and the couch potato Christians who side with him will have their lunches eaten, since they are not prepared to fight. The Christian militias might have a better chance of surviving. I want no part of this insanity.

Ireland4Liberty
08-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I come from Ireland. Ireland is considered a religious country but not on the level you Americans have perfected it by wearing it on your sleeves!

speciallyblend
08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
beck rocks(sarcasm)