PDA

View Full Version : Katrina disaster was caused by the govt...

Reason
08-28-2010, 12:56 PM
by Greg Palast

Five years ago this week, a beast drowned New Orleans. Don't blame Katrina: the lady never, in fact, touched the city. The hurricane swept east of it.

You want to know the name of the S.O.B. who attacked New Orleans? Locals call him "Mr. Go" - the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet (MR-GO).

MR-GO was undoubtedly the most bone-headed, deadly insane project ever built by the Army Corps of Engineers. It's a 76-mile long canal, straight as a gun barrel, running right up from the Gulf of Mexico to the heart of New Orleans.

In effect, MR-GO was a welcome mat to the city for Katrina. Experts call it "the Hurricane Highway."

http://gregpalast.com/images/katrina/satellite1.jpg

Until the Army Corps made this crazy gash in the Mississippi Delta fifty years ago, Mother Nature protected the Crescent City with a green wreath of cypress and mangrove. The environmental slash-job caused the government's own hydrologist to raise alarms from Day One of construction.

Unless MR-GO was fixed or plugged, the Corps was inviting, "the possibility of catastrophic damage to urban areas by a hurricane surge coming up this waterway." (I'm quoting from a report issued 17 years before The Flood.)

A forensic analysis by Dr. John W. Day calculated that if the Corps had left just 6 miles of wetlands in place of the open canal, the surge caused by Katrina's wind would have been reduced by 4.5 feet and a lot of New Orleaneans would be alive today.

The Corps plugging its ears to the warnings was nothing less than "negligence, insouciance, myopia and shortsightedness."

That list of fancy epithets poured from the angry pen of Federal Judge Stanwood Duval who heard the evidence in a suit filed by the surviving residents of the Ninth Ward and St. Bernard's Parish. His Honor ruled that the drowning of the Ninth Ward and St. Bernard Parish was a man-made disaster.

In November 2009, Judge Duval ordered the federal government to pay to rebuild homes, and compensate families of the dead.

The day Duval issued his verdict, I wrote in my notebook, "Barack Obama has before him a choice to make, one that will reveal the soul of his Presidency more than his choice of troop levels in Afghanistan: whether he will compensate the families who lost all they ever had, or appeal the court's decision, and thereby 'Bush' New Orleans once again."

But President Hope said 'Nope.' As the fifth anniversary of the drowning of the city approached, Obama's Attorney General Eric Holder flat out refused payment and filed a notice of appeal.

It was George W. Bush who gave the middle finger to the victims of the Corps' cruel negligence and fought the claims for compensation. Now, Obama has made Bush's pitiless renunciation of New Orleans his own policy just as Obama turned Bush's war in Afghanistan into his own

In fact, other presidents have said, we owe, we pay.

In 1974, President Gerald Ford ordered payment to the victims of the collapse of the Army Corps' poorly built Teton Dam, Idaho, saying, "No government has the power to eliminate tragedy from human experience, but government can and government should act quickly to minimize the pain of a great disaster. Today, I am signing a bill which provides legislative authority for the compensation of personal and property damage sustained by the victims of the flood."

Jerry Ford!

Then, in 1994, after sea barriers built by the Army Corps failed in a storm washing away homes in Westhampton Dunes, New York, the Clinton Administration paid to rebuild every one of the $3 million mansions. Not only that: To insure that the hedge-fund sharks and media moguls in this wealthy Hamptons resort wouldn't get their beach blankets wet, the feds paid an extra $25 million for sand to recreate the beachfront.

But the Ninth Ward isn't the Hamptons, is it?

The facts are undeniable; even the government accepts that MR-GO threatened New Orleans. Congress has ordered the Army Corps to dump nearly half a million tons of rock into MR-GO to shut the damn thing.

Still, the Administration drags its feet on payment under the legal theory of "Discretionary Function." In lay terms, that means, "Nyah, nyah, nyah! You can't hold the Army Corps responsible for gross negligence." The Justice Department also argued that the court should not consider the number of people drowned. Ugh.

Judge Duval slapped away the government's cockamamie defense.

So then, Why oh why oh why would Obama, after his grandstanding about BP's responsibility to the people of the Gulf Coast, refuse to compensate some of the same people for the far greater damage caused by the Corps?

Let me tell you: it goes beyond the money. To "make things right" means Obama would have to face down powers fiercer than any Taliban: Big Oil.

The widening of Mr. Go drowned New Orleans; it was not an Act of God. It was an Act of Chevron. An Act of Shell Oil. And, yes, an Act of BP.

The Army Corps admitted that it used its "discretion" to put shipping above safety. The choice was made to help the Gulf oil giants move their crude.

I talked with Jonathan Andry yesterday, the litigator for the Katrina survivors. Obama's decision to appeal the verdict really set him off. "We gave $185 billion to AIG to pay off crooks. I represent people who lost their lives, their family homes, their jobs in one day."

He seemed far more upset than I expected from an experienced litigator. On a hunch, I said, "Did you lose your own home?"

Andry was quieter. "Evacuated in one car with four kids, three cats, one dog and one wife to Faraday." And they never came back. The home on Lake Pontchartrain, in the family for generations, was washed away. Just dirt there now.

Ever the reporter, I asked if he'd taken a photo of it. "Can't look. Too painful."

I think back to the river city where I once worked, where my own kids played and where I fell in love; and then I look at my President cowering behind his "discretionary function," and I too find that what I see is much too painful.

RideTheDirt
08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
This REALLY pisses me off :mad:

coastie
08-28-2010, 01:29 PM
:(

Jesus, the list of things that .gov can be definitively blamed for grows shorter by the day.:mad:

Galileo Galilei
08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
When The Levees Broke - Bombing of the Lower 9th Ward

Katrina. More truth has came out from this and it shows something is wrong, and true patriots need to educate themselves and stand up before its to late.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=26A8F49157F5616E

johngr
08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
No doubt they have the technology to engineer and steer hurricanes and may very well have used it to cause Katrina.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Jesus, the list of things that .gov can be definitively blamed for grows shorter by the day.:mad:

One cannot blame the government because all they will do is agree. See, when we blame government, we are always blaming some other guy. Of course, as elected officials, our precious behinds are blameless.

lucius
08-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Such '...contempt prior to investigation...' :D

Aratus
08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
the wave heading up "MR. GO"
drowned people fast and furious.
the gov't meddled by having a gulf
to city almost linear artificial canal
on top of inadequate walls elsewhere.

TNforPaul45
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
This article does not surprise me in the least.

LibForestPaul
08-29-2010, 11:48 AM
1. Hurricanes routinely hit the gulf.
2. ACE has engineered a major fault.
3. This engineered fault exasperates mother natures fury.

Question:
Citizens will wise up and not risk life and limb by re-populating this dangerous area, obviously?

Reason
08-29-2010, 08:28 PM
//

jmdrake
08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the article! And all of the pricks who have over the years continued to blame the victims of Katrina for what happened should take a long walk off a short peer! It wasn't just "poor welfare" people who stayed behind. Middle class and upper class whites and blacks stayed behind because they were used to hurricanes not being that bad. And when they tried to leave after the hurricane they were sometimes turned back by trigger happy cops. A few months later when people in Texas evacuated in the path of Rita, more died from the evacuation than from the hurricane.

ClayTrainor
08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Check out the trailer for this new HBO show. John Goodmans character starts of by saying the New Orleans flood is the governments fault. "The flooding of New Orleans was A man made catastrophe. A federal fuck up of epic proportions."

YouTube - Treme Trailer #3 (HBO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVMxuoarbg)

Zippyjuan
08-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Other studies have shown serious problems with the levy system supposed to procect the city as well. They were said to have been high enough to keep out the storm surge at its peak but some parts were merely flilled in with sand which became easily saturated and washed away.

But one could also ask should the levy system have been built in the first place? Is it wise to build a city below sea level in a place fairly regularly visited by hurricanes and tropical storms?

klamath
08-29-2010, 09:59 PM
If you live below sea level you better have a boat. It is not a matter of if but when one of the levies are going to break.

oyarde
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Other studies have shown serious problems with the levy system supposed to procect the city as well. They were said to have been high enough to keep out the storm surge at its peak but some parts were merely flilled in with sand which became easily saturated and washed away.

But one could also ask should the levy system have been built in the first place? Is it wise to build a city below sea level in a place fairly regularly visited by hurricanes and tropical storms?

Bingo.

bruce leeroy
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I lived in pre-katrina new orleans for a few months. It made living in the southern part of dallas and northeast houston seem like park avenue or monaco by comparison. Katrina and the after effects were bound to happen, given the tradition of incompetence and corruption in the state goverment, and the bad reputation of the new orleans local govt and law enforcement( I mean lets face it, this is a state where you have a choice between a felon and a klansman for governor), and also a bloated federal goverment with its resources stretched to the limit around the world.

Galileo Galilei
08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Hurricane Katrina was an inside job!

Reason
09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
//

johngr
09-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Hurricane Katrina was an inside job!

Two objectives come to mind: martial Law/weapons confiscation (from law-abiding citizens) training and instant getrification of some prime touristy real estate
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2495.shtml

Before Katrina, New Orleans was more than two-thirds Blacks. A recent study by Brown University sociologist John Logan found that New Orleans is at risk of losing as much of 80 percent of its Black population. Some officials predict that the reconstructed New Orleans will be predominately White. The transitioning is already clear. After Katrina, the city’s Black population is down to approximately 20 percent, says Mr. Lee. Predominantly White areas are bouncing back first. The signs of recovery are everywhere in the French Quarter, which is more than 90 percent White.

There, café and restaurant owners have begun opening their doors, allowing the tantalizing smells of fresh beignets, chicory-flavored coffee and spicy jambalayas to permeate the air. Curio shops are already peddling Hurricane Katrina-inspired T-shirts along with feathery Mardi Gras masks, and Bourbon Street is rich again with the sounds and smells of human excess. Moreover, the faint sounds of a throbbing bass chord and the whine of a brass horn wafts along the night breeze.

Houston, where a large portion of the refugees of colour re-settled, not surprisingly experienced a marked spike in the violent crime rate.

EDIT: No post on Katrina would be complete without a picture of Lootie
http://niggermania.net/forum/images/smilies/tnb.gif

lucius
09-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Two objectives come to mind: martial Law/weapons confiscation (from law-abiding citizens) training and instant getrification of some prime touristy real estate
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2495.shtml

Houston, where a large portion of the refugees of colour re-settled, not surprisingly experienced a marked spike in the violent crime rate.

EDIT: No post on Katrina would be complete without a picture of Lootie
http://niggermania.net/forum/images/smilies/tnb.gif

There was resettlement off Perrin-Beitel Road in San Antonio, Texas, and yes the violent crime rate spiked as well--I had a business in this area and experienced this first hand. :(