PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Senator Jim DeMint and his "disciples"

MRoCkEd
08-27-2010, 07:28 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703579804575441331350216628.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Good stuff..

Aratus
08-28-2010, 09:59 AM
i feel the sword in the stone is about to be lifted out and up
today if the tea party reaches a consensus at today's d.c rally.
when rand paul enters the senate, he IS the tea party caucus...

erowe1
08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
if the tea party reaches a consensus at today's d.c rally.

What does that mean?

Bergie Bergeron
08-28-2010, 10:36 AM
DeMint's disciples are all up in the polls by at least 5 points except Angle, who's running against Harry Reid.

jabf2006
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
What historical precedents can be alluded to which support a theory that a disorganized group of people who come together with an agreement on 1 issue, and only 1 issue, will have any long-lasting effect?

This quote from Jim DeMint is interesting:

"This may be our last chance with voters, because if we're given the majority . . . and don't reform Washington, everybody is going to say, 'What's wrong with these guys? We need a third party.'"

One wonders if he's building an organized coalition in the background that could split the Republican party if the conservatives fail to control the Republican party. I wonder how much money, how much support, and how many sitting elected officials it would take to lay the foundation for a third party that would have enough power to maintain itself for the longterm and to influence policy.

In Canada, the government constantly changes hands between the Liberals and the Conservatives, but we have 2 2nd-tier parties (the Quebecois and the NDP) which often wield the power to drive debate and policy while they barter their votes. It would be interesting to see a conservative party in the US with the same type of power (if not more).

erowe1
08-28-2010, 10:48 AM
What historical precedents can be alluded to which support a theory that a disorganized group of people who come together with an agreement on 1 issue, and only 1 issue, will have any long-lasting effect?

How does that question relate to Demint? Are you implying he's about one issue only?

jabf2006
08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
How does that question relate to Demint? Are you implying he's about one issue only?

Sorry, I was unclear. That statement was more of a response, or just a random thought I had after reading the statement Aratus posted.

Aratus
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
sarah palin just cracked some GOP party discipline like a razor sharp whip up over the head of our own
senator scott brown for SOME of the votes he just cast, and given that she is to speak today in a big way,
could sarah palin be more than humouring great ambitions in either 2012 or 2016 as she becomes a futurist?

Matt Collins
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I like DeMint and think while he is trying to do the right thing, he still doesn't grasp the relationship between our economy and the government's interventionist foreign policy.