PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are you more likely to be killed by Al Qeada or you government?

ghengis86
08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Yes, No or Unknown?

nate895
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Ummm, what?

t0rnado
08-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Reword that. You're definitely more likely to get killed by the US government than you are by all the Islamic "terrorists" put together.

Zippyjuan
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
You are more likely to be killed by a lot of things than you are of getting killed by a terrorist.
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/07/13/the_six_most_feared_but_least_likely_causes_of_dea th.htm

The Six Most Feared but Least Likely Causes of Death
by www.SixWise.com

Deepak Chopra, M.D., a pioneer of alternative medicine, once said that everything we fear has already happened. In other words, there's no need to fear most of what we spending time fearing.

Still, many Americans have intense fears of death by certain causes that are actually very unlikely to occur. On the contrary, the most likely causes of death are rarely sources of fear for most of us.

What follows is a list of some of those common, yet unfounded, causes of death that are most feared ... yet least likely to occur.

Then, at the end of the article take a look at the real most common causes of death, and see if your fears are justified.

Airplane crashes: Some 30 million Americans describe themselves as "anxious" flyers. What makes them anxious is the fear of dying in a plane crash. What's the actual risk of being involved in a fatal airline accident? According to Arnold Barnett, a statistical expert in the field of aviation safety, it's once every 19,000 years--and that is only provided the person flew on an airplane once a day for 19,000 years!

Being killed by a shark is a common fear, but one that's totally unfounded: Your odds of being attacked by a shark are just one in 11.5 million.

Shark attacks: Do you refuse to go near the movie Jaws for fear that you'll never go back in the water? You're not alone, as many Americans fear getting killed by a shark.

According to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF), though, only 1,909 confirmed shark attacks have occurred around the world--between 1580 and 2003! Of these, 737 happened in the United States, and 38 people died as a result. That said, what are your real odds of being attacked by a shark? One in 11.5 million, says the ISAF. Being killed by a shark? Zero in 264.1 million.

Being murdered: According to the World Health Organization (WHO), one person is murdered about every 60 seconds worldwide, and in 2000, an estimated 520,000 people were murdered in the world. Although this sounds like a lot, let us put things into perspective: In 2000, over 6 million people died of cancer.

Falling to death: In 2001, more than 11,600 people aged 65 and older died from fall-related injuries, representing a very real concern. Children are also at risk of falling if they're not being properly supervised. But the type of fall we're talking about here is the kind that occurs from a height and to adults. While falling from a height is a leading cause of work-related death among construction workers, it kills only an estimated 80 people each year. And, the risk to the general population, who are exposed to heights less often, is likely to be lower than that.

Terrorist attack: With the recent London bombings and September 11th not too far behind, death by terrorist attack is fresh in many people's minds. A poll in Conde Nast Traveler in February 2003 found that one-third of respondents feared a terrorist attack. What are your real odds of dying this way? Historically speaking, it's a one in 9.3 million chance--which is a slightly greater risk than you have of dying in an avalanche.

Natural disaster: Earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods, storms, heat, cold ... all of these are perceived as a threat looming overhead at any time. Your real lifetime odds of dying from a natural force like those listed above? One in 3,357, according to the science and technology Web site LiveScience.com. You're much more likely to be killed by a fire or by committing suicide.

Actual Leading Causes of Death

An unhealthy diet is actually a leading cause of death in the United States.

Biggest fears aside, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a study that uncovered the actual leading causes of death in the United States (in 2000). Overwhelmingly, these causes stem from our own, modifiable behaviors.

•Tobacco (435,000 deaths, 18.1 percent of total U.S. deaths)

•Poor diet and physical inactivity (400,000 deaths, 16.6 percent)

•Alcohol consumption (85,000 deaths, 3.5 percent)

•Microbial agents (75,000)

•Toxic agents (55,000)

•Motor vehicle crashes (43,000)

•Incidents involving firearms (29,000)

•Sexual behaviors (20,000)

•Illicit use of drugs (17,000)

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Reword that. You're definitely more likely to get killed by the US government than you are by all the Islamic "terrorists" put together.

And you base that on?
:rolleyes:

Wesker1982
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
thats not a yes or no question imo

newbitech
08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
its not a yes/no question. its an either/or/i dont care question. Poll fail.

ClayTrainor
08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
And you base that on?

Look at the victim statistics for the war on drugs, for starters. ;)

Dr.3D
08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
This question is a lot like the one I keep hearing at the grocery store, where they ask, "Paper or plastic?" When I answer yes, they look at me like I'm crazy. Of course the only answer is yes, because I want one of those two.

Another one of those silly questions is... "Will that be cash or check?" Again, I answer yes and get a confused look from the person who asked the question. But you see, yes is the correct answer, because at that particular place, I only have the option of using one of those two options as payment.

Now the question here.... "Are you more likely to be killed by Al Qeada or you government?"
Yes... of course. I am more likely to be killed by Al Qeada or the government. One of the two or perhaps both, is surely able to get the job done.

newbitech
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
This question is a lot like the one I keep hearing at the grocery store, where they ask, "Paper or plastic?" When I answer yes, they look at me like I'm crazy. Of course the only answer is yes, because I want one of those two.

Another one of those silly questions is... "Will that be cash or check?" Again, I answer yes and get a confused look from the person who asked the question. But you see, yes is the correct answer, because at that particular place, I only have the option of using one of those two options as payment.

Now the question here.... "Are you more likely to be killed by Al Qeada or you government?"
Yes... of course. I am more likely to be killed by Al Qeada or the government. One of the two or perhaps both, is surely able to get the job done.

It'd be interesting to have a conversation about how it could be both, seeing how you could only die once this would mean.....:eek:

Danke
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Are you an asshole or not?

:D:p

newbitech
08-27-2010, 04:52 PM

lmao

Is he going to say "no" cause he is not a "not" or he is going to ask you to define not?

Dr.3D
08-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Ahhh... another of those silly or questions.

Of course the answer is yes.

If asked to choose between one or the other, I would pick or not.

oyarde
08-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. I wish to not participate with Al Qeada or the govt. , they are both dangerous , untrustworthy and ill mannered . I was hoping for the douchebag selection at the end like the last one.:D

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Look at the victim statistics for the war on drugs, for starters. ;)

Do you also count the executions for being a child rapist in your stats? :rolleyes:

The war on drugs is legal. Although you and I may disagree on whether it should be legal, it unfortunately is.

I presume the OP is obviously asking about government killing its citizens despite them following all laws.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Yes.

al-Quaida = al CIAda

:D

newbitech
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
"the government" is a greater threat than ALCIADUH

t0rnado
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
And you base that on?

I base that on the fact that the US government has killed more of it's own citizens than AlQuaida ever has.

Do you also count the executions for being a child rapist in your stats? :rolleyes:

The war on drugs is legal. Although you and I may disagree on whether it should be legal, it unfortunately is.

I presume the OP is obviously asking about government killing its citizens despite them following all laws.

Slavery was legal at one point in time as well. I'm sure you'd be defending the government punishing slaves as well.

Legality != morality. If you think it does, then discount the deaths of all the Russians Stalin killed because they didn't follow his laws.

Zippyjuan
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Reminds me of a movie from the 80's- "The Coca Cola Kid" with Eric Roberts and Greta Scacchi. His charachter was asked if he would like coffee or tea. His responce, "Yes, coffee or tea would be nice." Can't find the clip but they did make what I thought would have been a good Coke commercial for the movie (sorry about going off topic!)
YouTube - Greatest Coke Song Ever Coca Cola Kid 1985 Tim Finn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7wexy8eoxc)

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I base that on the fact that the US government has killed more of it's own citizens than AlQuaida ever has.

Sure, but the likely-ness factor also accounts for time. Something you are skipping.

Slavery was legal at one point in time as well. I'm sure you'd be defending the government punishing slaves as well.

Legality != morality. If you think it does, then discount the deaths of all the Russians Stalin killed because they didn't follow his laws.

Which is a fair enough point. If you consider all stats of govt killing for any event that YOU consider "immoral", you are the one who is defining what is moral and what is not. So that's a whole lotta perspective in there. To a child rapist, perhaps its not immoral to rape a child. So his idea of being executed by the government is a immoral killing. I just wanted to know how you are counting your numbers. Now that I know that your stats are based on your moral compass, which is pretty much based on your whim and fancy, I can chose to ignore your answer.

ClayTrainor
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM

I'm more concerned the killing of non-violent people, who haven't aggressively violated the rights of others.

I'm more concerned about morality than arbitrary state defined legality.

You can't find anyone in America who follows "all laws"

http://www.quicklawamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Law-Books-1024x768.jpg

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm more concerned the killing of non-violent people, who haven't aggressively violated the rights of others.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

olehounddog
08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I read some where a while back that we are 8x more likely to be killed by law enforcement. The odds of being killed by a terrorist in the USA are the same as being killed in an avalanche.

http://carfamily.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/odds-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist/
http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized
http://kazodaily.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/your-chances-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist-in-the-united-states-based-on-the-number-of-dead-over-the-past-ten-years-is-pretty-close-to-zero/

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I read some where a while back that we are 8x more likely to be killed by law enforcement. The odds of being killed by a terrorist in the USA are the same as being killed in an avalanche.

http://carfamily.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/odds-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist/
http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized
http://kazodaily.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/your-chances-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist-in-the-united-states-based-on-the-number-of-dead-over-the-past-ten-years-is-pretty-close-to-zero/

I believe those stats don't show the entire picture.

The government has a relatively free range to "kill" us. The terrorists don't.

Its not for a lack of want that the terrorists don't do so well as the government when it comes to killing you and me. Its because they can't.

The government on the other hand however, can do what it wants.

If anyone is trying to even push the notion that the terrorists are more benign than the government, they are retarded. Its just that they aren't powerful enough that results in such a poor showing against the government. ;)

Brian4Liberty
08-27-2010, 05:54 PM
The answer is 42...but it is not on the poll.

Kludge
08-27-2010, 06:05 PM
:cool:

Lucille
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I had to go with Kludge is sweet.

I would have answered "your government," had I been given the chance. ;)

amy31416
08-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Had to vote "Kludge is sweet." He only hits me when I ask for it.

tangent4ronpaul
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM
poorly worded poll - much more likely to be killed by your gvmt!

klamath
08-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Actually I fear getting killed in the crossfire between some government Goon and an F****** drug grower or revolutionary more than either of those choices.

Rael
08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't recommend applying for a job at Gallup with poll writing like this. :D

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 08:03 PM

+a zillion! :cool: I wish the booboisie understood that.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Had to vote "Kludge is sweet." He only hits me when I ask for it.

<<<<Inserts "Spock's Eyebrow" pic here...