PDA

View Full Version : Seasteading

Elwar
08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
After studying the freest countries and trying to find a country that would be ok with just letting people live their lives and not interfere I've finally found one.

My short list was Hong Kong, or New Zealand or Costa Rica or several other countries. But they all have their interventions. Their own quirks.

Instead, I've decided on this:

http://www.seasteading.org

Get tired of the local rules and regulations? Move your home to better neighbors. Tired of the heat? Move your home from the warmth. Tired of the cold? Move your home to some nice warm waters...

libertybrewcity
08-27-2010, 04:10 PM
bump

Matt Collins
08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
There are many many many threads on this if you search for them.

Sentient Void
08-27-2010, 05:18 PM
I didn't know about this site / group. Thanks for sharing!

BuddyRey
08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I really wish seasteading was a viable option for me right now, but it's so darn expensive, only the Dagny Taggarts and Howard Roarks among us could afford it at this juncture. Hopefully, the need for labor will expand along with the project and the price for participation will become more reasonable.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I really wish seasteading was a viable option for me right now, but it's so darn expensive, only the Dagny Taggarts and Howard Roarks among us could afford it at this juncture. Hopefully, the need for labor will expand along with the project and the price for participation will become more reasonable.

I would wager that Spacesteading at this juncture would be about as expensive :p That's the next libertarian frontier. Too bad I wasn't born 500 years in the future. :D

WaltM
08-27-2010, 05:45 PM
http://www.filmsfound.com/images/waterworld21.jpg

Flash
08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm confused, would there be taxation in this new seasteading country?

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm confused, would there be taxation in this new seasteading country?

No. Patri Friedman is David Friedmans son and also a Voluntaryist. He's the man behind the Seasteading Institute. (One could make an argument if Peter Thiel is also a Voluntaryist or not, but he sure talks like one and he is one of the richest men in the world! He's the one who has put almost a million into this venture so far.)

Flash
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM
TSI needs financial support, maybe there can be a banner on the forum and on the DP?

What about a money bomb for them after the November elections?

BlackSand
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Ive heard about this before. From what I understand there is no common economic system. What happens is there are many islands with whatever economic and social system they want.

I also think they advocate something called a "Joint Stock Republic"? meaning you buy stock to be a part of their island government. And this company takes care of you instead of a government. Essentially a form of fascism. But the businesses job IS to govern. And you can leave if they do something you dont like. So basically its hard to be corrupt. Especially because on such a small island, everyone would know each other.

Kind of reminds me of Jeffersonian Democracy.

specsaregood
08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
One could make an argument if Peter Thiel is also a Voluntaryist or not, but he sure talks like one and he is one of the richest men in the world! He's the one who has put almost a million into this venture so far.)
Also a donor to both Dr. Ron Paul's presidential campaign and Dr. Rand Paul's senate campaign.

Matt Collins
11-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Billionaire libertarian and PayPal founder Peter Thiel discusses seasteading:

YouTube - Peter Thiel on Facebook, Technology, and the Higher Education Bubble (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qm7vVB5so)