PDA

View Full Version : Do You Support Capital Punishment (Death Penalty/Execution)?

Daamien
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Simple poll to spark some discussion. For reference, please note that the modern death penalty in the US only applies for persons convicted of aggravated murder or treason/espionage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States

Natalie
08-27-2010, 11:13 AM
I voted no. The Death Penalty is backwards and racist and sexist. Also, it costs the taxpayers way, way more to execute someone than it does to give them life in prison. Plus there is the cost of potentially executing an innocent person, which I'm sure happens all the time. There are many cases where innocent people spent years on death row only to have evidence show up later which exonerates them.

Daamien
08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
In terms of the constitutional argument against capital punishment, some interpret it as a violation of the 8th Amendment protection against "cruel and unusual punishment" and the the 5th Amendment protection against being "deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" given that future evidence surface after an execution that may prove a convicted person as innocent.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
In principle, yes. There are some crimes that warrant execution.

In practice, no. The corrupted "just us" system is in no way suitable to be handing down sentences of a night in jail, let alone execution. The staggering number of people found to be innocent on death row is enough for me to say shut it down, now.

bruce leeroy
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
in principle, yes, some people need killin.
in practice, no, cuz there is no bigger group of fuck ups than any govt agency

puppetmaster
08-27-2010, 11:28 AM

this rings true

Daamien
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Personally I believe it is unethical and unconstitutional. I believe it is unethical because the state should never have the power to deprive its people of their lives. That can be a very slippery slope. Furthermore, vengeance solves nothing. I believe it is unconstitutional given that it is an unnecessary punishment (therefore a violation of the 8th Amendment) and it violates due process in the 5th Amendment.

I think they should give convicted felons without parole the option of committing suicide through morphine overdose though. That would at least be voluntary and reduce costs without violating rights. However, while that may be ethical, it is not necessarily moral given religious views.

Elwar
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
It is good that it's left to the states.

From a religious standpoint I am against it because I was taught to forgive (though for society's sake, keep them in prison so that they can't do it again).

Many people misintepret the "eye for an eye" thing. It's meant as a limit, not as a rule.

bruce leeroy
08-27-2010, 11:34 AM
It is good that it's left to the states.

From a religious standpoint I am against it because I was taught to forgive (though for society's sake, keep them in prison so that they can't do it again).

Many people misintepret the "eye for an eye" thing. It's meant as a limit, not as a rule.

you brought up a very interesting and oft overlooked point
the whole purpose of a"eye for eye" was because you had a bunch of bloodthirsty sons of bitches back then that wanted to take a head for a fingernail

pcosmar
08-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, I think many in the Capitals (both State and Federal) deserve to be punished.
;)

Fox McCloud
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Libertarian Punishment Theory justifies retribution; it operates primarily on the "eye for an eye" principal.

http://www.walterblock.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/block_radical-libertarianism-rp.pdf

the problem arises, of course....who punishes the punishers? Of course, this problem really only arises in a State-based society.

ChaosControl
08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
No. I don't necessarily think it is unethical or unconstitutional. I just don't believe the state should have the power to put someone to death.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes, I think many in the Capitals (both State and Federal) deserve to be punished.
;)

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/laughing-calvin--26-hobbes-337864_504_313.gif

dean.engelhardt
08-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree with Penn Jillette. Just stop effing killing people.

Daamien
08-27-2010, 12:00 PM
No. I don't necessarily think it is unethical or unconstitutional. I just don't believe the state should have the power to put someone to death.

According to your last sentence you do think it is unethical.

erowe1
08-27-2010, 12:00 PM

The poll doesn't say anything about any government agency being involved in it.

ibaghdadi
08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I'll have to say that I must respect the victim's family's right to exact vengeance.

However I'd say that it's not the right or moral thing to do. Forgiveness, rehabilitation and restitution go much further.

So I voted "No, It's unethical but constitutional."

Spider-Man
08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
There should be an option for "Yes, and it is unethical and/or unconstitutional."

erowe1
08-27-2010, 12:09 PM
There should be an option for "Yes, and it is unethical and/or unconstitutional."

I agree. If something is ethical, then it deserves to be supported whether it's constitutional or not.

bruce leeroy
08-27-2010, 12:14 PM
The poll doesn't say anything about any government agency being involved in it.

well I take a goverment involvement as a given.................capital punishment means through the courts/justice system.............now what I DO strongly beleive in is armed self defense/castle laws, using deadly force to protect your person and property

erowe1
08-27-2010, 12:20 PM
well I take a goverment involvement as a given.................capital punishment means through the courts/justice system.............now what I DO strongly beleive in is armed self defense/castle laws, using deadly force to protect your person and property

I wouldn't count self-defense as capital punishment.

But any taking of a life as punishment is capital punishment, no matter who's doing it. I suppose that by definition that must always be a part of something that could fairly be called a "justice system" (which is a flexible enough phrase to accommodate lots of different things). But it wouldn't necessarily have to involve courts. And even if you take as a given that it must involve courts, it still doesn't by definition need to involve government run courts.

At any rate, the poll doesn't ask anything about the state. It only asks in abstract terms about capital punishment.

nate895
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I voted no. The Death Penalty is...racist and sexist.

No matter what else you think about the death penalty, how can you possibly argue that it is, by nature, racist and sexist? Is it less possible to kill someone because of their race or sex? I mean, that assertion is absurd. I do not even know how you can think that the death penalty is, by nature, bigoted. It might be implemented in a racist or sexist manner, but, then again, so can any criminal punishment.

Daamien
08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
At any rate, the poll doesn't ask anything about the state. It only asks in abstract terms about capital punishment.

As you can see from the initial post which I wrote the context of discussing capital punishment is in regards to the US judicial system.

Daamien
08-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Sorry I forgot to include that. Vote undecided.

Slutter McGee
08-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Some people need to die. That simple. I support it, but only its use in crimes that take the life of another, and in which there is a plethora of evidence.

Sincerley,

Slutter McGee

oyarde
08-27-2010, 01:24 PM

You have it.

Imaginos
08-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes.
Some people only respond to punishment.
And if it's up to me, I would execute not just murderers but also all the rapists and pedophiles without even blinking an eye.
Some people are just animals and need to be treated like animals.

axiomata
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm with Gandalf on Capital Punishment.

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

ChaosControl
08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
According to your last sentence you do think it is unethical.

Well I don't think it is wrong for say a murderer to be put to death, I just don't think the state should be able to do it. I don't want the state to have that kind of power. If anyone should be able to put them to death, it should the family/friends of the victim(s).

Rael
08-27-2010, 07:12 PM
There should be another poll option... I have no problem morally with the death penalty in certain situations, but I don't trust the government to fairly administer capital punishment.

james1906
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't want the government managing my retirement or killing people.

Southron
08-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't care for capital punishment at the federal government level.

That being said, I'd rather be killed quickly then spend my life in prison but maybe I'm different like that.

Minuteman2012
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I think it is definitely a state issue as per the Constitution. I personally support it for heinous crimes such a murder and child rapists(along with repeat rapists), but the Feds don't have the right to intervene in whether a state decides to carry it out or not. The only situation, constitutionally speaking, where the US Congress can get involved in the issue is to set a death penalty for an act of treason as per Article 3 Section 3 of the Constitution.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2017, 10:32 PM

In practice, no. The corrupted "just us" system is in no way suitable to be handing down sentences of a night in jail, let alone execution. The staggering number of people found to be innocent on death row is enough for me to say shut it down, now.

Consistency is a good thing.

Pauls' Revere
08-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Yes, I really am not going to miss one less scumbag gone from this planet or the amount of fiat FRN's it cost to execute. Really, were worried about cost when a bomber cost Billions or the debt hits Trillions? Who gives a f**k if its 250K to execute a piece of shit.

Ender
08-24-2017, 10:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist

^^THIS^^

I agree totally with Anti Federalist.