PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

JaylieWoW
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Please look here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1619549220071017

I stumbled upon this because I found out today I'm a victim of identity theft. I was looking up information on the internet to find out what I'm up against and this was the 2nd or 3rd hit from the Google search I did.

I would appreciate it if you guys would look at this article. It appears a bill was introduced that, because of what I just went through today (I was a SUSPECT to begin with!!), I'm very interested to see what your take on this bill is and I'm wondering what we all think Ron Paul's take would be.

It's really late right now so I'll check back tomorrow to join the discussion, besides I've been at police stations all day... this morning as a suspect and this afternoon filling out my own police report as a victim.

In case anyone is curious... my identity was used to purchase something then the person who stole my identity got a hold of someone else's bank account information and used someone else's bank account to pay for the item that was purchased. As a result, my name was all over the other victims bank account because of payments charged to their account. I know it sounds confusing... you can't even imagine how confused I was to get the phone call in the first place.

Someone get me a drink... and make it a double please. :mad:

jonahtrainer
10-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Please look here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1619549220071017

I stumbled upon this because I found out today I'm a victim of identity theft. I was looking up information on the internet to find out what I'm up against and this was the 2nd or 3rd hit from the Google search I did.

I would appreciate it if you guys would look at this article. It appears a bill was introduced that, because of what I just went through today (I was a SUSPECT to begin with!!), I'm very interested to see what your take on this bill is and I'm wondering what we all think Ron Paul's take would be.

It's really late right now so I'll check back tomorrow to join the discussion, besides I've been at police stations all day... this morning as a suspect and this afternoon filling out my own police report as a victim.

In case anyone is curious... my identity was used to purchase something then the person who stole my identity got a hold of someone else's bank account information and used someone else's bank account to pay for the item that was purchased. As a result, my name was all over the other victims bank account because of payments charged to their account. I know it sounds confusing... you can't even imagine how confused I was to get the phone call in the first place.

Someone get me a drink... and make it a double please. :mad:

This is why we need to get government out of the 'identity' business.

Two weeks ago I had someone attempt to post an unauthorized check against my bank account. The digital image said 'No Signature Required.' I had to hoopla to go through to get the $$$ back, they won't let checks go out of the account and I had to open a new account. What a pain in the arse.

Banks, credits cards, etc. will eventually be replaced by more secure and efficient forms of money like GoldMoney.com (http://www.goldmoney.com). I keep most of my cash balances in GoldMoney and would recommend it to others. I sure wish more would accepted it.

McDermit
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
my ex's uncle just went through this a week ago. His drivers license was about to expire, so he went to the dmv to renew it. They refused, citing his suspended NJ CDL license. He never lived in jersey and never had a CDL.

Turns out, a guy who he helped out a few years ago got his info and had been using his name for over 8 years. This dude had been in jail, but on work release. They worked at the same place, and her uncle lived near the prison, so he used to pick this dude up and take him back to the prison every day.... Did it for nearly a year. Some thanks!

It took three trips to Jersey and $1200 to get it all straightened out. And he still has a messy credit report to work on cleaning up.

Matt Collins
10-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is no such thing as identity theft. There is identity fraud, or false identity, or fraudulent use of another's identity. But no one can really "steal your identity". Your identity can be misused however.

Wendi
10-17-2007, 07:27 AM
I think it is sad that the gov't feels the need to give us "permission" to seek restitution for crimes committed against us, don't you?

LizF
10-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I think it is sad that the gov't feels the need to give us "permission" to seek restitution for crimes committed against us, don't you?

Indeed...I found myself wondering why this bill even needed to be passed.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Jaylie. :( I wish you the best in getting this problem resolved.

JaylieWoW
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is no such thing as identity theft. There is identity fraud, or false identity, or fraudulent use of another's identity. But no one can really "steal your identity". Your identity can be misused however.

I suspect you suffer from a massive head full of "split ends"! Come on, does it REALLY matter what I called it? I was asking for opinion related to this bill not an opinion on what the crime should be called. :rolleyes:

My mind was going down this path and I agree.

Right now I'm just so <BLEEPING> pissed off I swear I could chew nails. Since the beginning of August this is what has happed to me and my family:

Aug. Beginning - Husband lost his job
Mid September - Stepson (who lives with us) was diagnosed with cancer (Ewings Sarcoma, right scapula)
Mid September - Husband's ex-wife attempts to have him charged with kidnapping in order to move son back in with her, yes, she FILED papers
Beginning October - Stepson has first round of chemo
Present - I am called by an officer as a suspect in identity theft case

We considered doing a "Reality TV Show" on how much more SHIT can be piled on top of us until we realized that no one in their right mind would believe so much could happen to one family all at once!

johngr
10-17-2007, 11:19 AM
This is why we need to get government out of the 'identity' business.

Lol! That's about to happen. You and what army?

Matt Collins
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Come on, does it REALLY matter what I called it? Yes it does matter. Calling it "identity theft" is not only legally erroneous but an inaccurate description of the transgression.

No one has "stolen" anything. You still have your identity, but someone else has used it fraudulently. There is no theft involved (unless your purse/wallet/billfold got jacked).

The difference might seem like minutia, but it is not insignificant.

JaylieWoW
10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes it does matter. Calling it "identity theft" is not only legally erroneous but an inaccurate description of the transgression.

No one has "stolen" anything. You still have your identity, but someone else has used it fraudulently. There is no theft involved (unless your purse/wallet/billfold got jacked).

The difference might seem like minutia, but it is not insignificant.

Ok whatever, do you have an opinion on the bill or do you just want to keep splitting hairs.

Did you even read my follow up post??!!

And, as if all that wasn't enough Aunt Martha came a visiting yesterday so you'd just better watch correcting a woman on the edge right now!!

Matt Collins
10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I have no idea who your Aunt Martha is. But I am sorry you are dealing with so many personal problems.

Regarding the article, no I don't think the federal government should be getting involved in identity fraud cases. That should be left up to the States.

JaylieWoW
10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I have no idea who your Aunt Martha is. But I am sorry you are dealing with so many personal problems.

Regarding the article, no I don't think the federal government should be getting involved in identity fraud cases. That should be left up to the States.

Aunt Martha is a common term for "that time of the month". While this may seem a bit personal to speak of on a message board, I'm over any embarrassment of "female stuff". It goes right out the window after you have your first child. I could have had an entire news crew filming a play by play of me going through labor and wouldn't have thought a thing about it. :D

Thank you for your apology with my personal problems, I was mad when I typed it all out and thought about deleting it, but decided not to.

And thank you for addressing my original post. As stated, I was thinking along those lines. I even thought part of the reason we have such a problem with it is precisely because of various government interferences. I don't think it is any business of a credit card company or any other credit lending company to require the use of a social security number on applications. Especially on hand-written applications where there is no way to trace who has looked at the information.

I have a feeling this is going to become something I get very interested in. I'd like to see some real solutions for combating identity "whateveryouwannacallit". (Couldn't resist :D ) Personally, I think it should be called "Identity VIOLATION", because I certainly am feeling violated in a creepy sort of way.

What do you guys think about credit reporting agencies? I've always thought it was a bit shady to have to pay one of those agencies to access your own information. It just does not seem right to me. I know we've got regulations that say they have to do this and that and you can get a free report for this and that, but honestly, the information is about you and because of all the problems with ID fraud, everyone should be able to access their personal information at will, don't you think?

I've run the argument through my head before along the lines of even though it is information about me, they are the ones who are collecting it and therefore it belongs to them, but that just doesn't sit with me as a valid reason for the person who that information is about having to pay to obtain it. Thoughts?

I know I'm running this topic into the ground, but since it's all fresh right now, I'm just trying to put some thoughts together to help me deal with it. (Yes, I know, this board isn't supposed to be a therapy outlet, just humor me alright?)

bbachtung
10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Depending on the state in which you live, you may have much better legal recourse through the state than through the feds.

Contact your District Attorney's office and ask for the victim's advocate (or victim's liason or whatever they call it in your county / state). You likely qualify as the victim of a crime, and are probably eligible for compensation and assistance via your state's crime victim fund.

Take the steps listed here: http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/con_steps.htm

Sorry to hear about what you're going through.

Matt Collins
10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I could have had an entire news crew filming a play by play of me going through labor and wouldn't have thought a thing about it. :D
Pics? :D :p

JaylieWoW
10-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Funny you should mention that... we were prohibited from bringing a camera or video recorder in because of lawsuits. :eek: