PDA

View Full Version : It's a pain in the arse finding a teaching gig

heavenlyboy34
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
So, I've been looking for a studio to teach guitar/bass in (I don't have enough space of my own for students+myself), and the search is going nowhere. The only place I found that's even close to quality requires a teaching degree. I have no formal degree, but I have a lot of experience (both in theory and practice). How do I find a place to teach at?

low preference guy
08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
heavenlyboy, what do you think of ear training programs or books?

heavenlyboy34
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Some are better than others. It's best if you can find a partner to help with that kind of thing. It helps to get a score and follow along while listening to the recording. The best training, in my experience, is a combination of learning a lot of standard repertoire and playing with an ensemble (transcribing tunes from the radio helps too). The important thing, IMHO, is not to stress the ear, but to let it "open" naturally with experience.

P.S. learning serialist music is very good if you're into jazz, avant garde, contemporary, etc.

CCTelander
08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
So, I've been looking for a studio to teach guitar/bass in (I don't have enough space of my own for students+myself), and the search is going nowhere. The only place I found that's even close to quality requires a teaching degree. I have no formal degree, but I have a lot of experience (both in theory and practice). How do I find a place to teach at?

Have you tried local music stores and/or guitar shops? I've had luck with them in the past, when I did the whole giving lessons thing.

Matt Collins
08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
You don't need a studio. Just look on Craig's List and post there too. And/or rent your own studio space. Get to know the local music scene and music store owners.

angelatc
08-27-2010, 01:11 AM

Do you need a dedicated music space? If not, offer lessons in their home.

Bman
08-27-2010, 01:28 AM
To get into a teaching position you need one of two things.

Good contacts, or a significant student base you're willing to bring with you.

With guitar you can find a lot more opportunity than other instruments without a degree, don't let that stop you from checking a place out, but don't expect to get far unless you have monster chops. What a lot of people do is go to the stupid Berkley College of Music summer programs and then put down that the studied at Berkley without clarifying what they went for.

Bman
08-27-2010, 01:35 AM

I wish I remember the first book I had, but quick question.

Can you read notes and identify a key signature? If you answered no to either of these I'd suggest not buying any ear training material until you feel comfortable with those two things.

You can always work on relative pitch using melodic intervals. Such as a half step is a minor 2nd and sounds like the two notes going back and forth in the Jaws theme.

YouTube - Jaws theme!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4)

Or how going up two and a half steps, a Perfect 4th, sounds like the singing "Here Comes" in the Bridal Chorus (around the 28 second mark).

YouTube - Bridal Chorus-Wagner (Here Comes the Bride) & Fanfare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBt6Myv75jk)

Nate-ForLiberty
08-27-2010, 11:26 AM

I don't know if you'd be up for it, but a lot of day schools, after school programs and church schools look for "activities" for their kids to do. If you are willing to teach guitar to little ones that is a great way to get your foot in the door. It would probably require that you have two guitars at least (one for you and one for the student). You will definitely need to be able to act goofy for the kids, and be willing to teach stupid kids songs. It may not be what you had in mind and it may be quite intimidating at first, but you might find that you really enjoy it. Going this route would solve the problem of having a place for lessons and signing up students. If you try this, be clean cut, articulate, and humble yet excited.

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 12:06 PM
You don't need a studio. Just look on Craig's List and post there too. And/or rent your own studio space. Get to know the local music scene and music store owners.

That would be a good idea if I weren't broke, jobless, and neck-deep in student loan debt. :(

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't know if you'd be up for it, but a lot of day schools, after school programs and church schools look for "activities" for their kids to do. If you are willing to teach guitar to little ones that is a great way to get your foot in the door. It would probably require that you have two guitars at least (one for you and one for the student). You will definitely need to be able to act goofy for the kids, and be willing to teach stupid kids songs. It may not be what you had in mind and it may be quite intimidating at first, but you might find that you really enjoy it. Going this route would solve the problem of having a place for lessons and signing up students. If you try this, be clean cut, articulate, and humble yet excited.

I thought of that, but the closest thing to that in my immediate area seems to be an elementary school. I'll keep looking! :o

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Do you need a dedicated music space? If not, offer lessons in their home.

Yes, I need a dedicated space. I'm not in a position to teach out of my home at the moment. :(

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Have you tried local music stores and/or guitar shops? I've had luck with them in the past, when I did the whole giving lessons thing.

Yes, but so far, no luck. :(

dannno
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, I need a dedicated space. I'm not in a position to teach out of my home at the moment. :(

You mean THEIR home :confused:

That's what angelatc was sayin.

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
You mean THEIR home :confused:

That's what angelatc was sayin.

Ohhhh, I see. That would be more practical, as long as the student is in my area. :cool:

angelatc
08-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Ohhhh, I see. That would be more practical, as long as the student is in my area. :cool:

Speaking as a Mom, I'd pay a premium for that service. It wouldn't work if I wanted to take lessons, but it would be awesome if one of the kids wanted lessons.

CCTelander
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Yes, but so far, no luck. :(

Honestly, I had my best success with giving lessons when I did it from my own home. But you've already nixed that idea.

You've gotta be difficult, don't you? ;):D;)

heavenlyboy34
08-28-2010, 10:13 AM
update: I made business card-sized advertisements, and will be passing them around my neighborhood. Will let y'all know how it works later.

Nate-ForLiberty
08-28-2010, 10:24 AM
As someone who makes a living off of teaching piano lessons in the student's home, I can tell you getting started is the hardest thing. Most of my new students are referrals from my existing students. To get the first client, though, I had to canvass and canvass and canvass. Much more work than i though appropriate. But that's how it goes.