PDA

View Full Version : Saudi couple hammer 24 nails into Sri Lankin maid

Kregisen
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67P17420100826

A Saudi couple tortured their Sri Lankan maid after she complained of a too heavy workload by hammering 24 nails into her hands, legs and forehead, officials said on Thursday.

Nearly 2 million Sri Lankans sought employment overseas last year and around 1.4 million, mostly maids, were employed in the Middle East. Many have complained of physical abuse or harassment.

L.T. Ariyawathi, a 49-year old mother of three, returned on Friday after five months in Saudi Arabia.

Her family only realized what had happened to her when she complained of pain and they took her to see the doctor, Foreign Employment Bureau officials said.

"The landlord and the wife of the landlord hammered 24 nails into her when she complained of the heavy workload," Kalyana Priya Ramanayake, media secretary of the Foreign Employment Bureau, told Reuters.

Ariyawathi has been taken to hospital for surgery to remove the nails, which according to the maid were hammered in when they were hot.

X-rays showed one- to two-inch nails in her hands and legs, with one over her eyes, officials said.

The Foreign Employment Bureau is consulting the Attorney-General while the Sri Lankan External Affairs Ministry is to take the matter up with the Saudi government, officials said.

What should their punishment be? I'm thinking an eye for an eye.

madengr
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Maybe this?

http://generation-g.net/gblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/nails-in-head.jpeg

ClayTrainor
08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
What should their punishment be? I'm thinking an eye for an eye.

I dunno about that... Torture is just cruel and unusual, no matter what your justification is. People who torture others simply need to be removed from society as they are a proven violent threat to others.

Put them in a cage, or maybe execute them. They gotta go.

Stary Hickory
08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Well that will teach her to be lazy

james1906
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Maid: We need more lemon pledge
Landlord: alalalalalala jihad!

oyarde
08-26-2010, 08:35 PM

lol

oyarde
08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
If I was fortunate enough to have a Sri Lankan maid I would be treating her very well. I am the the house cleaner at my house.

james1906
08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
If I was fortunate enough to have a Sri Lankan maid I would be treating her very well. I am the the house cleaner at my house.

You wouldn't issue a fatwa for mixing your white kaffiyeh with your wife's red hijab?

Sola_Fide
08-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Pffffwahahaha

Natalie
08-26-2010, 08:58 PM

I also lol'd. Omg that is so funny.

oyarde
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
You wouldn't issue a fatwa for mixing your white kaffiyeh with your wife's red hijab?

I will just use my charm.

devil21
08-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Yet we're butt buddies with the Saudis while "spreading democracy" in Afghanistan.

ibaghdadi
08-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Sadly this isn't the only such incident. I bet you could google other cases.

No wonder the reverse also happens - live-in maids killing their employers or taking it out on their employer's children.

eok321
08-27-2010, 05:27 AM
What should their punishment be?

Invade Saudi Arabia?

ibaghdadi
08-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Invade Saudi Arabia?

More predictably, a Youtube video will show up explaining how the Saudi couple were acting according to Islamic religious doctrine that tells them to torture maids. Verses from the Qur'an will be cited out of context as "proof", and arguments will be made that all Muslims believe that, and those who claim not to believe it are either lying or ignorant of their own religion.

A prominent host will then have an Islamophobic guest who will cite more religious texts, also out of context, arguing that Muslims believe all women everywhere to be either maids or potential maids. Then he'll argue that international jihad terrorist groups are hell bent on invading America and converting its women to maids and then torturing them.

An op ed piece in a prominent newspaper will be written by a feminist decrying Islam's anti-women bias and arguing that the government has to do something about it and "stop them there before they come here". It will be picked up by several radio hosts who will repeat and spread the arguments to a dozed public.

And this is how war is sold.

jmdrake
08-27-2010, 05:45 AM
More predictably, a Youtube video will show up explaining how the Saudi couple were acting according to Islamic religious doctrine that tells them to torture maids. Verses from the Qur'an will be cited out of context as "proof", and arguments will be made that all Muslims believe that, and those who claim not to believe it are either lying or ignorant of their own religion.

A prominent host will then have an Islamophobic guest who will cite more religious texts, also out of context, arguing that Muslims believe all women everywhere to be either maids or potential maids. Then he'll argue that international jihad terrorist groups are hell bent on invading America and converting its women to maids and then torturing them.

An op ed piece in a prominent newspaper will be written by a feminist decrying Islam's anti-women bias and arguing that the government has to do something about it and "stop them there before they come here". It will be picked up by several radio hosts who will repeat and spread the arguments to a dozed public.

And all of this will be shown on Fox News who's second largest shareholder is Saudi and funds radical madrases. And this will be used to justify war with......Iran. Get the American people angry enough and misdirect that anger to whatever enemy you have at the time. It worked for the Iraq war after all.

Brett
08-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Yet we're butt buddies with the Saudis while "spreading democracy" in Afghanistan.

The actions of this couple on this thread shouldn't affect our relations with the country as a whole.

devil21
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
The actions of this couple on this thread shouldn't affect our relations with the country as a whole.

Now that's just funny. Thanks for unknowingly proving my point.

oyarde
08-27-2010, 02:23 PM

IBaghdadi , if there were a religion that encouraged torturing maids I am afraid there would be people lined up to join.:D

AlexMerced
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
From a Creatarian point of view, punishing destruction with destruction makes no sense, instead they should have to create (labor) to compensate fro what they have destroyed (damages as determined bya c ourt)

lucius
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I dunno about that... Torture is just cruel and unusual, no matter what your justification is. People who torture others simply need to be removed from society as they are a proven violent threat to others.

Put them in a cage, or maybe execute them. They gotta go.

Agree, these types of stories are designed to demonize our 'new enemy'...

Monarchist
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I think this is more indicative of Arab racism than an example of Islam in practice.

brandon
08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Agree, these types of stories are designed to demonize our 'new enemy'...
agreed.

If Saudi's are so horrible to the Sri Lankin women that come there to work then I can only assume soon the cost will outweigh the benefit and the women will stop going there.

Jack Bauer
08-27-2010, 04:15 PM
I think this is more indicative of Arab racism than an example of Islam in practice.

Most South Asians in Saudi are treated as badly as bonded labor. I have heard some personal horror stories about how life is for imported labor/ teenage wives/ servants in Saudi Arabia.

Some Arabs consider themselves to be the 'true'/ 'purer' Muslims. Obviously the bulk of Muslims from South Asia are converted and some even take it as a point of pride if their great great great great grandmother was banged by an Arab because it gives them more 'legit heritage'.

Brett
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Now that's just funny. Thanks for unknowingly proving my point.

And I still don't know, but you're welcome :tongue:

ibaghdadi
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
If Saudi's are so horrible to the Sri Lankin women that come there to work then I can only assume soon the cost will outweigh the benefit and the women will stop going there.
Sadly, even with these horrors, Sri Lankans (and even Indians, Filipinos, etc.) still line up to get into the Gulf countries. Even though such cases of brutality are highly publicized in those countries.

Maid abuse cases have also surfaced in Malaysia, Singapore, Bahrain, Lebanon, and the UAE. Live-in maids are quite common in these countries.

Unrelated interesting fact: many Sri Lankans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Moors) trace their roots to Arabs.

oyarde
08-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Sadly, even with these horrors, Sri Lankans (and even Indians, Filipinos, etc.) still line up to get into the Gulf countries. Even though such cases of brutality are highly publicized in those countries.

Maid abuse cases have also surfaced in Malaysia, Singapore, Bahrain, Lebanon, and the UAE. Live-in maids are quite common in these countries.

Unrelated interesting fact: many Sri Lankans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Moors) trace their roots to Arabs.

This is true . Want out of the Phillipines , want to eat ? ? roll the dice and take your chance . It is what these young ladies do .

devil21
08-27-2010, 06:16 PM
And I still don't know, but you're welcome :tongue:

What you said could apply to practically every country we're meddling in, but particularly Afghanistan. The actions of a few bad people should never translate to action against a country on a national scale. Let's remember that 17 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, not Afghans.

ibaghdadi
08-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Let's remember that 17 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, not Afghans.
Actually the number is 15.

As for the other 4: One came from Lebanon, arguably the most pro-Western country in the Arab world; one came from Egypt, the country that receives most US aid (after Israel). Another 2 came from UAE, another US ally.

oyarde
08-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Actually the number is 15.

As for the other 4: One came from Lebanon, arguably the most pro-Western country in the Arab world; one came from Egypt, the country that receives most US aid (after Israel). Another 2 came from UAE, another US ally.

Yes , we feed the Egyptians. I would be more comforted if there were plans in place to find solutions there where they could feed themselves.

youngbuck
08-27-2010, 09:33 PM
And all of this will be shown on Fox News who's second largest shareholder is Saudi and funds radical madrases. And this will be used to justify war with......Iran. Get the American people angry enough and misdirect that anger to whatever enemy you have at the time. It worked for the Iraq war after all.

Exactly! That's very close to what I was telling my dad earlier.